What's new

AX86U sighting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You can't be that unlucky with multiple units.

Curious to know how you setup the new router. In detail.

You can't be that unlucky with multiple units.

Curious to know how you setup the new router. In detail.
Std config with stock firmware...2.4ghz 20 ch6..5ghz ch48 180...left all settings default...I guess I am.

Done with the AX86U. Kernel and CPU crash again. Going back to my AC86U. This was even after factory reset.
Dropping internet with the first AX86U. Dropped Kernel and CPU crash on a new out of the box replacement AX86U?

Seriously... How many other AX86U forum users have we read that this has happened to in the past year and a half or for that matter in the last month? I am not saying it didn't happen.... There is a first time for everything but it's as if the AX86U is breaking Asus forum records for new out of the box failures.

I never have done a single hard or factory reset to any of my AX86Us over the past year. Not a single issue with any of them and some of them have had a run uptime of more than six months. You only need to do simple stock firmware upgrades from factory. You shouldn't need to do hard factory resets with stock firmware if you properly and carefully manually configure your settings. It's as if the memory or settings are getting corrupted in some mysterious way and forcing these failures.

At this point if you still believe your AX86Us are having hardware failures out of the box then you should at least call official Asus technical support and let them try to diagnose the problem. If it is hardware failure they would probably know by now from their customers if they had a bad production run of routers recently.

Last edited:
Technically 3..
Dropping internet with the first AX86U. Dropped Kernel and CPU crash on a new out of the box replacement AX86U?

Seriously... How many other AX86U forum users have we read that this has happened to them in the past year and a half or for that matter in the last month? I am not saying it didn't happen.... There is a first time for everything but it's as if the AX86U is breaking Asus forum records for new out of the box failures.

I never have done a hard or factory reset any of my AX86Us over the past year. Simple stock firmware upgrades from factory. You shouldn't need to do that with stock firmware if you properly and carefully manually configure your settings. It's as if the memory or settings are getting corrupted in some mysterious way and forcing these failures.
It's my bad luck...even the crappy n66u that I got rid of didn't exhibit this behavior..my ac86u hasn't exhibited this behavior...std config shouldn't cause the router to reboot (loose internet connections etc) and nothing attached to either of the 2 units I briefly had...I really wanted to keep it.

Technically 3..

It's my bad luck...even the crappy n66u that I got rid of didn't exhibit this behavior..my ac86u hasn't exhibited this behavior...std config shouldn't cause the router to reboot (loose internet connections etc) and nothing attached to either of the 2 units I briefly had...I really wanted to keep it.
It's not bad luck. Call Asus technical support and report your problems. They could tell you if they had a bad production run. Otherwise they could once again walk you through a step by step process, maybe read logs and try to determine what's going on. I've gone through these kinds of problems many times in the past with all kinds of electronics and I always narrowed down what the problem was. This forum is great but we are users and most of us aren't experiencing the supposed hardware problems you say you are having with the AX86U. Take a deep breath, relax and see this as an opportunity to learn and discover. You will be a better problem solver in the long run.

Last edited:
Done with the AX86U. Kernel and CPU crash again. Going back to my AC86U. This was even after factory reset.
My new AX86U has been up for 3 days 18 hours now with no noticable problems. I set the 2.4Ghz to channel 11 width 20Mhz. I left the 5Ghz on auto and it's now on channel 153 width 80Mhz.

I actually don't think that most of my 5Ghz clients even support 160Mhz width. So if I forced the router to use the 160Mhz setting with 5Ghz clients that can't do it, what would happen? Just wouldn't connect? Huh. Maybe I'll have to test that.

Last edited:
Technically 3..

Not clear to me what you mean by "nothing attached to either of the 2 units I briefly". Do you mean wireless clients? USB devices? I have 25 clients and have switched the majority to 5Ghz now. The 5Ghz on my old AC66U didn't provide good coverage so nearly everything was on 2.4Ghz. The AX68U 5Ghz coverage works everywhere in my house.

Why?? My ac86u can run those speeds...the ax is supposed to run at 160ghz...not dealing with it.
Just like nearly every wireless router from the last decade is supposed to be able to run 2.4Ghz at 40Mhz. But in my experience, most people don't and go 20Mhz instead to get the best range. Looks like you do this as well. In my case, the AX86U seems to be exceeding my Internet service speed already at 80Mhz width so it's not a problem here.

I decided to try a 3rd time. It's either a bad batch or def my back luck. After setting up exactly like my AC86U, stock config (no usb drives attached) with Asus stock firmware, crashed again within the hour. I thought it may have been related to my 160ghz, but it's wasnt the case.

But in my experience, most people don't and go 20Mhz instead to get the best range.

It's not about the range, but interference. 40MHz wide channel takes half of the available channels on already crowded 2.4GHz band.

crashed again within the hour.

What's in the logs? Any clues of what's happening? Second router with the same behavior is indeed strange.

It's not about the range, but interference. 40MHz wide channel takes half of the available channels on already crowded 2.4GHz band.

What's in the logs? Any clues of what's happening? Second router with the same behavior is indeed strange.
Seems kernel time was off to system clock by some minutes..logs seemed to show full crash initializing itself going through startup checks etc...never seen it before with my ac86u.

Just waiting on merlin 386.4 to upgrade my ac86u :)

AX86U runs different software and the logs are not the same as AC86U. Did AX86U reboot itself or what happened?

Seems kernel time was off to system clock by some minutes..logs seemed to show full crash initializing itself going through startup checks etc...never seen it before.
Like I said before, my ac86u (checking logs) never
AX86U runs different software and the logs are not the same as AC86U. Did AX86U reboot itself or what happened?
Yes all 3 I briefly had crashed and rebooted on its own.