What's new

AX86U sighting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's not about the range, but interference. 40MHz wide channel takes half of the available channels on already crowded 2.4GHz band.

What's in the logs? Any clues of what's happening? Second router with the same behavior is indeed strange.
Weird. My AX86U is now 4 days 10 hours uptime. If it crashed then I could buy the cheaper AC86U. I'm fundamentally super cheap so would like that ;-D

I do have a little heartburn reading about these unexplained crashes and issues connecting Google, Sonos etc devices.

The only issue I saw so far was a Belkin Wemo plug switch that had to be reset and set up again. Guessing it had somehow associated itself with the Mac address of the old router. It's fine now. But the issues others are having do bug me.

Weird. My AX86U is now 4 days 10 hours uptime. If it crashed then I could buy the cheaper AC86U. I'm fundamentally super cheap so would like that ;-D

I do have a little heartburn reading about these unexplained crashes and issues connecting Google, Sonos etc devices.

The only issue I saw so far was a Belkin Wemo plug switch that had to be reset and set up again. Guessing it had somehow associated itself with the Mac address of the old router. It's fine now. But the issues others are having do bug me.
i don't want to deal with Asus tech support to get a replacement since I'd probably have the same issue considering I went theu 3 new units. I went back to my reliable ac86u that i had for 2 years.
Im still shocked that this happened to all 3 units. All the best with your ax sure you'll be fine.

You're good. I have a number of AX86Us that have had an uptime of more than six months. The routers finally had to be rebooted after firmware updates. The hardware is rock solid. It's the most stable and reliable wireless router I have ever owned and this goes back to when I owned Linksys WRT54Gs almost twenty years ago.

Almost all the major reported issues with the AX86U that I have read about were related to settings issues, Wifi 6/AX incompatibility issues with older wireless clients that were not adjusted in the settings, corrupted settings after faulty firmware updates or faulty router reset procedures, outdated client device drivers, incorrect network topography (devices on the network having conflicting settings with the new router). Just as you were able to track down your bug issues most people are able to solve these issues.

Last edited:
Considering the AX86U is the most popular Asus Wifi 6/AX router on the market right now, the number of units sold in the world must be astronomical and it's seldom in stock at most major online retailers you would expect at least a few new owners to report experiencing "issues". ;)

You're good. I have a number of AX86Us that have had an uptime of more than six months. The routers finally had to be rebooted after firmware updates. The hardware is rock solid. It's the most stable and reliable wireless router I have ever owned and this goes back to when I owned Linksys WRT54Gs almost twenty years ago.

Almost all the major reported issues with the AX86U that I have read about were related to settings issues, Wifi 6/AX incompatibility issues with older wireless clients that were not adjusted in the settings, corrupted settings after faulty firmware updates or faulty router reset procedures, outdated client device drivers, incorrect network topography (devices on the network having conflicting settings with the new router). Just as you were able to track down your bug issues most people are able to solve these issues.
I think that I still have a WRT54GS in my basement. Or is it a WRT54GL? One of those...

The way new consumer electronics are made... you always have to have one WRT54GS in your basement. :)

Well, folks write here when they have issues. This is why you read mostly about issues. :)
Considering the AX86U is the most popular Asus Wifi 6/AX router on the market right now, the number of units sold in the world must be astronomical and it's seldom in stock at most major online retailers you would expect at least a few new owners to report experiencing "issues". ;)
Thanks for the sanity check. I feel better after reading that.

Speaking of stability. I still have a Linksys E2000 router serving as a wireless bridge. I tend to forget it's there. It's running Toastmam Tomato and just never fails. I logged into it the other day to change it from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz and it had been up for 183 days. And it's gone longer. Probably should retire it but it does the job I need it to.

Here's hoping that the AX86U will prove to be as reliable.

Finally went in to Microcenter and got $20 back on the price guarantee before my 30 days were up. Happy with the price. Happy with the AX86U.