What's new

AX86U WiFi breaks on Channel 100?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Broken Hope

Regular Contributor
With auto selected WiFi channel my router will pick channel 100 most of the time and everything works fine and I get full speed internet, after a while it seems to switch to channel 52 and my internet speed over WiFi isn't as fast. If I manually select channel 100 I can no longer connect to my 5GHz network and have to reset the router.

Is there a reason why manually picking channel 100 is breaking my WiFi?

I use to have no issues manually choosing this channel on my AC86U.

Why would DFS make it impossible for me to connect to the 5GHz band after manually selecting a channel, the channel works if it’s auto selected by the router.

I get prompted for my password which doesn’t work and I have to reset the router and reload my settings.

Operation in DFS channels requires the router to scan for radar activity. If activity is detected, the AP must quickly switch to a non DFS channel and STAY off that channel for a mandated period of time. If you are trying to bypass that process, that could be causing your problem.

This is why we need Wifi 6E in order to bypass this DFS crap.
True that. But in a recent press briefing with Qualcomm, they said their 6E designs will support DFS. It will be up to the end-product maker to decide whether to support/certify it.

True that. But in a recent press briefing with Qualcomm, they said their 6E designs will support DFS. It will be up to the end-product maker to decide whether to support/certify it.

The problem with 5Ghz is that there aren't many channels left if you exclude the DFS channels. Is it at least safe to say that the 6Ghz band will include more non DFS channels even if they decide to include DFS?

The 6 GHz band does not have DFS channels.
There is a different type of channel restriction, however. The band is broken into "indoor" and "outdoor" channels.

See this post, Fact #2.

I've set a manual channel of 40 which seems to be working okay so far. I believe DFS will only be in operation if I have a 160Hz device connected?

I've set a manual channel of 40 which seems to be working okay so far. I believe DFS will only be in operation if I have a 160Hz device connected?
No. DFS will be attempted only if you set the router to 160 MHz bandwidth or manually set the router to a DFS channel.

If you’re using 160 MHz channels then channel 100 is really using up channels 100-128. But in the USA and some other areas around the world, the weather band is channel 120-128. Meaning you’re using up the channels that weather operators use for RADAR. And if the router “detects” radar in this band, it will kill the connection and hop to a different frequency.

FCC regulations requires this of DFS. In fact, before the FCC certifies wireless routers for commercial operations, the FCC requires router manufacturers who operate in the DFS channels to submit test data to show whether the router complied with DFS regulations. They simulate radar pulses and watch how the router behaves. What you can do is probably select 80 MHz (100-116) channels, or use 160 MHz on the “lower” channel (which will take up channels 36-64). But do know that the nature of using DFS is is inherently unpredictable; the router can hop to a different frequency at any time. And if you select auto (with DFS), the router can be hopping repeatedly, as or if it “detects” radar.

The problem with radar “detection” is that there could be false positives, not real radar, but activity that appears to be radar above a certain signal strength ( RSSI ) in the DFS band. It could be another AP, or some other activity that the router “detects” as radar, and boom, it hops to a different frequency.

As others have stated, the 6 GHz band does not appear that it will be subject to DFS, particularly for “indoor” low power operations. Out door operations will be subject to an automated frequency coordination (AFC) scheme.

Last edited:
With auto selected WiFi channel my router will pick channel 100 most of the time and everything works fine and I get full speed internet, after a while it seems to switch to channel 52 and my internet speed over WiFi isn't as fast. If I manually select channel 100 I can no longer connect to my 5GHz network and have to reset the router.

Is there a reason why manually picking channel 100 is breaking my WiFi?

I use to have no issues manually choosing this channel on my AC86U.
DFS status: state In-Service Monitoring(ISM) time elapsed 8139900ms radar channel cleared by DFS channel 100/160 (0xE872)

Channel Information
----------------------------------------
Channel 36 A Band
Channel 40 A Band
Channel 44 A Band
Channel 48 A Band
Channel 52 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 56 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 60 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 64 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 100 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 104 A Band, RADAR Sensitive