What's new

AX86U (ZAKU II) listed as PS5 compatible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

princi

In Singapore, there is a red AX86U for sale - listed as the ZAKU II gaming edition - which is supposed to be PS5 compatible.

What makes it PS5 compatible compared to an AX88U, for instance?

Last edited:
Your willingness to pay more for it.

There is no such thing as a gaming router.

Your willingness to pay more for it.

VPNfusion would be one feature. Only available on ROG routers.

Also, SingTel owned the rights to the AX86U here, that’s why it wasn’t available in the shops. Maybe this is how they get around that.

But I’m not a gamer, so there is no willingness here. Just wondering what makes it PS5 compatible, and not the AX88U?

All these gaming features are as foreign to me as loading a program from a cassette tape would be to gamers - you had to be there.

Renaming features available on other routers don't make the ROG models the only ones with those features.

I don't know how else to say it. Marketing. I would estimate at least a handful of my customers are using a PS5 today. None have called me to ask why it doesn't work. Most are not ROG router owners either.

According to Asus there is.

Screenshot 2021-01-19 214159.jpg

Asus marketing, yes. And a laptop made by Apple is also magical too. :)

According to Asus there is.

View attachment 29686
So if it's "PS5" compatible are they saying that it's not compatible with the PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S? I don't think so. :rolleyes: My "not compatible" RT-AC68U works perfectly well with my PS5.

I guess what they're trying to say is that the router supports "ax" WiFi and so does the PS5. Other consoles like the Xbox Series X do not have ax WiFi.

To me, there is no guessing what they are implying. Other routers aren't. Theirs is. Must buy now.

My marketing filter/translator is on high alert when I see cash about to leave a wallet. :)

I guess what they're trying to say is that the router supports "ax" WiFi and so does the PS5. Other consoles like the Xbox Series X do not have ax WiFi.

That might be it. Sony is doing the same with certain TV models. I believe it refers to the screen refresh rate - whether the model in question can take full advantage of what the PS5 is capable of.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!