What's new

Firmware Support for Special Edition Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Picard

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
Routers are in short supply in Canada but our local memoryexpress and Visions have sales on some special editions of routers. My question regards keeping up with firmware support and searching the ASUS support web site the special edition routers may be a little out of sync or slower at getting some vulnerability patches. I wanted to check with any advice from this community regarding the ASUS RT-AX86U ZAKU II EDITION or the ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 EVA Edition. Thanks for sharing your experience and recommendations. At the moment, the AX6000 EVA edition is lower price that the RT-AX86U Pro and I hope to keep the router for as many years as possible. Both exceed our needs and are a big upgrade from our older RT-68U which is a little slow with OpenVPN.

The firmware for the special editions is exactly the same as the corresponding normal edition firmware. There's no difference, they're the same files (they've just put the wrong date on the website for two of the EVA firmwares).

All the firmware does is check the model number and if it's a ZAKU or EVA it uses a different skin in the GUI.

Excellent advice, I will go with the lower cost option and live with the different appearance in the GUI. Thanks.

Hold on, a different color scheme? Considering the awful ROG color scheme, can we see how bad these are please?

Hold on, a different color scheme?

The background picture. Examples from Internet:

ZAKU:

1694350485423.png

GUNDAM:

1694351386547.png

EVA:

1694350532337.png

TUF color scheme is really eye irritating:

1694351248514.png

I've seen GT-AX6000 EVA at Canada Computers on lower than regular ROG price. There are often open box routers at different stores as well. I personally will pay more for something more compact and less striking in appearance. You get 0.5kg of gaming plastic with this model. RT-AX88U Pro was on sale recently. I believe it was CAD260 in few different stores. It's the same hardware router with more normal looks. Also large size model though.

I've seen GT-AX6000 EVA at Canada Computers on lower than regular ROG price. There are often open box routers at different stores as well. I personally will pay more for something more compact and less striking in appearance.

I can see why someone would return this - I would expect the spousal/partner approval factor to be pretty low...

kv_pd.png

Hello, I will look for the RT-AX88U Pro, It's on sale at BestBuy for $350 CDN at the moment (regular 399). Out of stock at MemoryExpress, Staples, and CanadaComputers.

I can see why someone would return this

There is one model with even more striking appearance:

1694391952583.png

I guess some gamers will pay more money for it. This is the idea.

@Picard

If the design is not bothering you, Amazon Canada right now:

1694404537366.png

+1 for the GT-AX6000 running RMerlin!
Ours is located on a shelf, in a centrally located home lab.
The Wife Factor doesn't come into play, unless there is an internet issue.
It didn't take me too long to learn: Happy Wife = Happy Life ;)

I like the look of my GT-AX6000. It definitely looks like an advanced, modern, important piece of high tech that does one heck of a job. She's tucked away on a shelf of the entertainment center and is hardly noticeable.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am now more familiar with the current models and any one of the three is current hardware and sure to last for many years of firmware updates. I am currently working on a family member's car and will return to the router purchase in a few days. I will pickup whichever one is on offer or price match (RT-AX88U Pro, GT-AX6000, or RT-AX86U Pro).

That last one is the odd one out in that trio of routers. Not worth considering if you're serious about a new model lasting you 'several years' (including ISP upgrades that may be offered for no cost to you).

I've never seen those "special" router's gui.
IMHO I do not care for those noisy graphics.
Just another Thank You towards RMerlin for staying simple for the regular guy!

I like the firmware choice.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!