What's new

AX88u -100Mb WAN port speed on startup and others...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djrm

Regular Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I have bought a RT-AX88u to replace a GT-AC5300, mainly due to be able to use Merlin firmware. I have found the below few issues and have had to back to the GT unit.

1- Any time the router is rebooted, the WAN port is stuck as 100Mb speed (this is found in both stock and Merlin). Once the cable is unplug/plug the port comes as 1Gb.
2-Movistar Triple VLAN is not available in the Merlin IPTV configuration but it is in stock.
3- With same wifi AC configuration, AX88u seems to have less performance than GT specially for upload

Any advise?

Thanks

Movistar Triple VLAN is not available in the Merlin IPTV configuration but it is in stock.

That's because Asus only added it after my current firmware release.

Hi Everyone,

I have bought a RT-AX88u to replace a GT-AC5300, mainly due to be able to use Merlin firmware. I have found the below few issues and have had to back to the GT unit.

1- Any time the router is rebooted, the WAN port is stuck as 100Mb speed (this is found in both stock and Merlin). Once the cable is unplug/plug the port comes as 1Gb.
2-Movistar Triple VLAN is not available in the Merlin IPTV configuration but it is in stock.
3- With same wifi AC configuration, AX88u seems to have less performance than GT specially for upload

Any advise?

Thanks

1 - Check the cable. Test/switch with a good/known Cat5E or Cat6A cable. If the issue persists, I would be doing a full M&M Config/reset at this point on the router. See my signature for links below. ;)

3 - I would recommend doing a 'sanitize' on your network after you switch routers/while setting up the new one. Again, see the links below. The main reason possibly is that the microcode used on your client devices is interfering with how the new router needs them to be set. Use new SSID's with no special characters for each band (the same passwords can still be used) to make sure the client devices are set up like the new Router expects them to be.

I would recommend that you take some time to find the optimal Control Channel for each band too. Please see the links below for further details.

That's because Asus only added it after my current firmware release.
OK, thanks. Will wait then till this is added....
Any idea about the issue 1?

Also, is there any way to restart the WAN port from console? it is not ideal but at least I don't need to be unpluging/pluging the cable (I will report this issue to Asus as this happen with stock as well)

Thanks

Last edited:
1 - Check the cable. Test/switch with a good/known Cat5E or Cat6A cable. If the issue persists, I would be doing a full M&M Config/reset at this point on the router. See my signature for links below. ;)

3 - I would recommend doing a 'sanitize' on your network after you switch routers/while setting up the new one. Again, see the links below. The main reason possibly is that the microcode used on your client devices is interfering with how the new router needs them to be set. Use new SSID's with no special characters for each band (the same passwords can still be used) to make sure the client devices are set up like the new Router expects them to be.

I would recommend that you take some time to find the optimal Control Channel for each band too. Please see the links below for further details.
Thanks,

For 1 is not the cable.... same cable connected to a AC88U and GT-AC5300 works without issues, also if you make a quick unplug and plug again the AX88U recognize 1Gbps.

For 3 I have reset the configuration again and reconfigured and after that seems to be ok.

Thanks,

For 1 is not the cable.... same cable connected to a AC88U and GT-AC5300 works without issues, also if you make a quick unplug and plug again the AX88U recognize 1Gbps.

That is what is indicating to me that it may be the cable, or, the connector with that port. ;)

Trade it with any other cable you have. It may be all that is needed.

That is what is indicating to me that it may be the cable, or, the connector with that port. ;)

Trade it with any other cable you have. It may be all that is needed.
Thanks again. I tried with 2 additional cat6 cables and outcome was the same. So make an additional router config reset (I did the same yesterday and didn't work) and now seems that always is getting 1Gb after power up. :)

so now is a matter of time (finger crossed) to see the Movistar Triple VLAN profile in Merlin fw :)

I also have an AX88
I did not have trouble with the LAN ports but I did have an issue after changing firmware.
My wifi stopped working and no factory resets or firmware changes or disconnecting from the poweroulet worked.

Than as a some sort of last thing I pulled the powersupply connector from the router for 30 seconds. So NOT the adapter from the poweroutlet but the plug that goes into the router.
Was the Only thing that worked for me.

I love the router but sometimes it seems a bit buggy.
As I said you are not having the same problem but what do you got to loose?

Cheers

I also have an AX88
I did not have trouble with the LAN ports but I did have an issue after changing firmware.
My wifi stopped working and no factory resets or firmware changes or disconnecting from the poweroulet worked.

Than as a some sort of last thing I pulled the powersupply connector from the router for 30 seconds. So NOT the adapter from the poweroutlet but the plug that goes into the router.
Was the Only thing that worked for me.

I love the router but sometimes it seems a bit buggy.
As I said you are not having the same problem but what do you got to loose?

Cheers
Thanks, but after the full config reset did yesterday I have tried several times to power off/on or reboot the router and WAN port is always getting 1Gb.