What's new

AX88U 386.x and 388.1, Ethernet connection dropping during large file transfers.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

n2ubp

Occasional Visitor
AX88U 388.1. Has anything changed in the past two releases of Merlin Firmware or perhaps Windows 10 that might make it more difficult for older ethernet 1gb connected Windows 10 computers to stay connected to my home network during large file transfers? Routinely seeing one computer go offline with gateway unreachable 0x180200a errors after 3 to 5 minutes of data transfer? Not sure if it's time for a new computer, roll back to an older version of Windows or Merlin.

I seem to have stumbled onto a solution. Increasing the Ethernet card receive and transmit buffers to their max amount seems to have fixed this issue and doubled my reported speeds to at times over 1gb when transferring a 52gb file between two wired Windows 10 computers.

I seem to have stumbled onto a solution. Increasing the Ethernet card receive and transmit buffers to their max amount seems to have fixed this issue and doubled my reported speeds to at times over 1gb when transferring a 52gb file between two wired Windows 10 computers.

That's generally something an ethernet card should be able to manage itself - do you have the latest drivers? I often get the drivers from the manufacturer of the NIC rather than the PC as frequently those are much newer.

If it is using buffers heavily when not hitting full link speed, that means something is slowing it down, could be virus scanner but sounds more like a driver issue. Watch your CPU during the transfer, see if it is spiking and what process is spiked. Cheaper NICs don't have onboard TCP offloading so it could just be that, but most modern last 10 years, even more), even onboard NICs, have that.

You should be able to get between 100 and 120 megabytes/sec transfer rate on a 1Gb NIC. Obviously anything else trying to reach the PC (or the PC trying to do anything else over the network) during that time will be much slower, but it should not drop completely.

AX88U 388.1. Has anything changed in the past two releases of Merlin Firmware or perhaps Windows 10 that might make it more difficult for older ethernet 1gb connected Windows 10 computers to stay connected to my home network during large file transfers? Routinely seeing one computer go offline with gateway unreachable 0x180200a errors after 3 to 5 minutes of data transfer? Not sure if it's time for a new computer, roll back to an older version of Windows or Merlin.
I have a similar issue running 388.1. It randomly drops and I don't have to be downloading large files or uploading large files. I can just be browsing the web on my desktop, phone, etc and it will drop out. This has been happening for days. I reverted back to 386.7_2 and don't have the problem. My router is an Asus RT-AX86S

I have a similar issue running 388.1. It randomly drops and I don't have to be downloading large files or uploading large files. I can just be browsing the web on my desktop, phone, etc and it will drop out. This has been happening for days. I reverted back to 386.7_2 and don't have the problem. My router is an Asus RT-AX86S

Sounds like a totally different issue honestly.

I have a similar issue running 388.1

Post it in 388.1 release thread. I've noticed Wi-Fi issues in first 30min of testing it on my AX86U.