What's new

AX88U 5GHZ channels Missing :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

immi803

Hi everyone,
I got my new Ax88u and it landed me into weird problem regarding 5ghz
First of all, i got it from Amazon UAE and it's my trusted source for stuff like this, now problem is i can't see 5ghz channels above 140 , and channels work in my territory are above ones, i can't see any region changing settings in wifi professional tab as well
I'm quite confident that it's not Chinese version as first start was English etc
Any help is highly appreciated

I got furstrated and tried every possible way like hard reset (wps button method), going back & forth merlin to official firmware etc but of no help
My devices can't see 5ghz :(
Screenshot_20200904-043118.jpg

SSH into the router and check the region is set correctly.
Code:
# nvram get territory_code
UK/01
# nvram get wl1_country_code
EU
I guess yours should say "AE" somewhere.

Also try manually selecting a bandwidth of 20MHz and seeing if the channel list changes.

SSH into the router and check the region is set correctly.
Code:
# nvram get territory_code
UK/01
# nvram get wl1_country_code
EU
I guess yours should say "AE" somewhere.

Also try manually selecting a bandwidth of 20MHz and seeing if the channel list changes.
Screenshot_20200904-052120.jpg

What should i do to correct it?
Yes , 20mhz changes the list but non show channels above 140 :(

The device you have appears to have been manufactured for the UK market (which would explain the channel list).

Unless that is typical for WiFi products sold in the UAE I would return it to the seller and get a replacement that was manufactured for your country.

The device you have appears to have been manufactured for the UK market (which would explain the channel list).

Unless that is typical for WiFi products sold in the UAE I would return it to the seller and get a replacement that was manufactured for your country.
You're right absolutely
But is there any solution at hand to amend it using ssh etc? Please help as i bought it on my visit to Dubai and returning it is not easy for me :( especially in this epidemic situation

You're right absolutely
But is there any solution at hand to amend it using ssh etc? Please help as i bought it on my visit to Dubai and returning it is not easy for me :( especially in this epidemic situation
Not really. There might be ways to hack it (but I doubt it) but such discussions are against these forums rules and any such posts will be deleted. You'd have to look elsewhere for that.

Can you not just use the channels from 36 to 140 (like the rest of us in the EU :))?

Not really. There might be ways to hack it (but I doubt it) but such discussions are against these forums rules and any such posts will be deleted. You'd have to look elsewhere for that.

Can you not just use the channels from 36 to 140 (like the rest of us in the EU :))?
I wish i could, unfortunately I can't, working channels in my region are 149 - 161 :(
Can you just pm any link for any guide elsewhere? I know it's CFE i need to edit but how ? Can't risk without a guide at least

I wish i could, unfortunately I can't, working channels in my region are 149 - 161 :(
I don't know what you mean by this. According to the WiFi database all channels between 36 and 165 are usable in the UAE.

Can you just pm any link for any guide elsewhere? I know it's CFE i need to edit but how ? Can't risk without a guide at least
Sorry, I honestly don't know of any (but then I've not looked for it). The RT-AX88U is not like the old RT-AC68U's. It has an encrypted CFE for one thing meaning that you can't just flash a replacement CFE onto it.

I don't know what you mean by this. According to the WiFi database all channels between 36 and 165 are usable in the UAE.

Sorry, I honestly don't know of any (but then I've not looked for it). The RT-AX88U is not like the old RT-AC68U's. It has an encrypted CFE for one thing meaning that you can't just flash a replacement CFE onto it.
If i have been living in UAE , it would have a non issue to return to amazon, i bought it on a visit to Dubai and it was just before pandemic burst out in asia
And i just unboxed it tonight as i was going fine with ac68u

If i have been living in UAE , it would have a non issue to return to amazon, i bought it on a visit to Dubai and it was just before pandemic burst out in asia
Sorry, you've completely lost me. I thought you were living in the UAE. Are you saying you're now living in a different country?

Besides, only channels 149 to 161 are allowed in his country which means his maximum is 80MHz.
149-161 have a lot of power, but are useless on the RT-AX88 model, a simple and best solution is 36-48 channels with a width of 160 MHz. On channels 149-161, this router will have two times less performance, maximum 2400Mbps at 5Hz. Therefore, it makes no sense to suffer from the absence of these useless channels.

149-161 have a lot of power, but are useless on the RT-AX88 model, a simple and best solution is 36-48 channels with a width of 160 MHz. On channels 149-161, this router will have two times less performance, maximum 2400Mbps at 5Hz. Therefore, it makes no sense to suffer from the absence of these useless channels.
Sorry, what is it about "only channels 149 to 161 are allowed in his country" that is not clear?

Sorry, what is it about "only channels 149 to 161 are allowed in his country" that is not clear?
Yes, in my country 80mhz is max supported until now and on channels from 149 - 165
My devices can't pick lower frequencies