What's new

AX88U 5GHz disabled with 384.10 & 384.11 beta2 firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kidd232

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I bought RT-AX88U two days ago, and flash the merlin 384.10 & 384.11 beta2 firmware.
5G is alwasys disable after reboot, I have already tried following steps:
*Disable HE Frame
*Select 36 channel for 5G, 6 below for 2.4G
*Use 80 MHZ for 5G, 40 MHZ for 2.4G

At first, I select from dead 36 to 149 and after hardware reboot, 5G is working again.
And I apply 36 back, 5G is working, but it's dead again after reboot.
After all, I select back 149 and hardware reboot, 5G is dead.

I also found when I set 6 below for 2.4G, the page is always keeping show "above", is it a bug?

Should I return the machine?

Hi guys,

I bought RT-AX88U two days ago, and flash the merlin 384.10 & 384.11 beta2 firmware.
5G is alwasys disable after reboot, I have already tried following steps:
*Disable HE Frame
*Select 36 channel for 5G, 6 below for 2.4G
*Use 80 MHZ for 5G, 40 MHZ for 2.4G

At first, I select from dead 36 to 149 and after hardware reboot, 5G is working again.
And I apply 36 back, 5G is working, but it's dead again after reboot.
After all, I select back 149 and hardware reboot, 5G is dead.

I also found when I set 6 below for 2.4G, the page is always keeping show "above", is it a bug?

Should I return the machine?
Do you have smart connect enabled, if so disable it. Manual select channel for 2.4 and 5 ghz.

Regarding 2.4 do not use 40 mhz, leave at 20. Your connection will be more stable.

Do you have smart connect enabled, if so disable it. Manual select channel for 2.4 and 5 ghz.
Regarding 2.4 do not use 40 mhz, leave at 20. Your connection will be more stable.

Hi Hawk,

I have disabled the smart connect after flash the firmware.
I tried the both 20 & 40 mhz for 2.4G setting, but 5G is always disable after reboot.

Sounds like a potential hardware issue, best to check with Asus' support.

First I would go back to stock firmware, make completely reset to factory with initialize, load stock firmware a second time and again factory defaults reset.
Is this solving your problems?

I have noticed this as well for whatever reason after factory reset 5 ghz doesn't come online in Merlin version but no problems with stock. Manually assign channel and 5 ghz comes up on Merlin as well and then stays up regardless of other setting.

Sounds like a potential hardware issue, best to check with Asus' support.
This happens to me to after a reset to defaults as well. If it's a "Hardware Issue" there are now three maybe more of us with the same problem. Please advise us what we should all do, if a return is needed we need to know as soon as possible please.:D

Last edited:
I have noticed this as well for whatever reason after factory reset 5 ghz doesn't come online in Merlin version but no problems with stock. Manually assign channel and 5 ghz comes up on Merlin as well and then stays up regardless of other setting.

Was exactly my experience too......

Be patient with the 5 GHz band. If you enable 160 MHz channel, a DFS scan is required, meaning the 5 GHz radio may take an extra 1-2 minutes before it initializes.

I use an RT-AX88U as my main router, and have no problem at all with my 5 GHz radio.

Be patient with the 5 GHz band. If you enable 160 MHz channel, a DFS scan is required, meaning the 5 GHz radio may take an extra 1-2 minutes before it initializes.

I use an RT-AX88U as my main router, and have no problem at all with my 5 GHz radio.
The first phase is Pre-ISM Channel availability check, then In service management is next. In my case (after a reset) the Pre-ISM CAC completes and changes to ISM but after about a 15 seconds it goes back to Pre-ISM CAC again and repeats over and over. Oddly however; if I enable all the features and use auto channel select and use DFS channels, now, after running for a few days on manual channel 146, it works.

In Wireless Log the "Time Elapsed" value keeps resetting back to zero. It used to show nearly the same time elapsed, as the connections up time, as indicated in the device list.

Pre-ISM CAC completes and changes to ISM but after about a 15 seconds it goes back to Pre-ISM CAC again and repeats over and over.

Maybe there's some interference in your area. I last rebooted my router last night when flashing a fresh test build:

upload_2019-5-7_11-58-25.png

Cell phone has been connected since that reboot. Tablet only reconnected this morning because I have it set to disable its wifi during the night to preserve its aging battery.

Maybe there's some interference in your area. I last rebooted my router last night when flashing a fresh test build:

View attachment 17496
Yours looks like what mine used to look like before this beta. Your's is excellent.

View attachment 17496

Cell phone has been connected since that reboot. Tablet only reconnected this morning because I have it set to disable its wifi during the night to preserve its aging battery.
Here is mine, (yup no channel 146 :oops::p) notice the up time of the connection versus the "Time Elapsed" thats is the issue I have.

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U   Wireless Log.jpg
    ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U Wireless Log.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 346
Here is mine, (yup no channel 146 :oops::p) notice the up time of the connection versus the "Time Elapsed" thats is the issue I have.

Probably interference as I mentioned. Sometimes the syslog will contain info about that (don't know how verbose the wifi logging is these days, Asus keeps changing it).

Since you don't have any 160 MHz client, just disable it.

Probably interference as I mentioned. Sometimes the syslog will contain info about that (don't know how verbose the wifi logging is these days, Asus keeps changing it).

Since you don't have any 160 MHz client, just disable it.
Thanks will do. :)

Hi guys, do you try to power off and on the router instead reboot?
I always have the 5G led off after power off and on.

Manually select channels has fixed the vanishing 5ghz for me.
I have smart connect enabled. I don’t have 160 width enabled.

With channel select ‘auto’, no amount of rebooting via GUI, or power off, would bring 5ghz back. Tried factory initialise too, no go.

Manually set channel 6 & 149, all good!

The ‘time elapsed’ for 5ghz always just reports zero, despite there being successful ongoing clients attached.

Whether I have 160 width enabled (on channel 48) or not, the 5gHz band behavior in my AX88U is the same...as described above. Even when I reset the router only the 2.4 gHz band shows up....the 5 gHz always takes about 1-2 minutes to appear after the router is up and running. Then it takes an additional 1 minute or so for my laptop to connect to it.