What's new

AX88U and issues with certain devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

InnovativeDoc

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I have the Wifi-6 AX88U with wi-fi 6 mode enabled. I have following issues:
  • I have Samsung Note 10 Plus , it shows wi-fi 6 logo when connected to AX88U. Sometimes, when I leave my home and come back, the Note 10 plus does connect to AX88U wifi-6 but the speed is slow (about 50 mbps on 200mbps connection). If I turn off wifi on my phone and turn it back again. I get blazing fast 226 mbps. I did check some forums and was advised to change phone wifi setting is to static IP with primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns as 8.8.4.4 but this does not help. Can someone please advise me how to have my phone connect to router with full internet speed? This only happens if I go out of home and come back in AX88U signal range. Also is this a router issue or phone issue?

• I have a work laptop which has intel dual band AC 7265 wifi which does not recognize 5G signal (does recognize 2G signal). I did goto asus FAQ page (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037422/) where it is recommended that the driver be updated to the latest version but my employer IT support will not update anything unless they have special permissions. Apparently when i turn the Wifi-6 setting off in advanced - wireless signal in asus router admin page, the work laptop recognizes the 5G signal. I wanted to check if this is a laptop of router issue? Having wifi-6 off defeats purpose of getting a wifi-6 router!
My two iPads and one iPhone XR (non wifi-6) work well on 5G. Please help!

are you using smart connect (same ssid for both 2.4Ghz n 5Ghz)? or different ssid for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz?
cuz it sounds like phone might be connected to 2.4Ghz first as 2.4Ghz has longer range.
it might just take time to switch? if anything, try disable smart connect and see if it works

for the laptop, there is a reason that you need to update the driver to address the connectivity issue, not much you can do there without updating.
it's the driver issue that you need to take care first.

Thank you indark for your reply. I have separate SSID for 2G and 5G networks, and the 2G one is not even programmed/setup on the phone so it will never hook up to the 2G. Also, I did switch off Wifi 6 and same issue occurred with the phone. Hence, I have the slow speed with or without Wifi 6 setting. I did also turn on the 160 Mhz setting but still the problem exists. Smart connect is off. Could anything else help?
On laptop - still waiting on my employer to revert.

I assume you use latest firmware for the router (stock or merlin's)
160Mhz cause issue for my primary computer, so I dont even turn it on as not all my device support 160Mhz and most likely will need driver update for my device.

have you tried fixed channel on the router? instead of auto
it might help sometimes to use a fixed channel
all the change I made were wireless mode and fixed control channel
upload_2019-11-13_20-24-3.png

and after you make the change, I will also try reset the wifi setting on the phone and reconfigure it again.
it can sometimes be helpful

Since all you need is turn on/off the wifi setting on the phone to get back the proper speed, I will file a ticket w/ both asus and samsung if none of those help.

Last edited:
Hi Indark, so here are some updates. For my laptop, I was able to finally get my company's it support to install the latest driver. The laptop is finally receiving and recognizing signals from ax88u. So this is solved. Thanks for your help!
Next, I changed the wireless channel from 128 DFS to 149 (fixed). However, I still have the problem of the phone hand shaking at a low data transfer speed with ax88u.

One more interesting incidence. I have connected Netgear R7900 in AP mode to AX88U via cat7 cable. One day, I had observed that as I entered my home, my phone had connected to the Netgear router and the download speed was 200mbps with ping of 8 milliseconds. While I was roaming in the home, I was simultaneously browsing a few websites on my phone, and I observed the phone went from Netgear to ASUS router because I could see Wi-Fi logo without the Wi-Fi 6 symbol and then as soon as it hooked to Asus, I could see Wi-Fi logo with Wi-Fi 6 symbol. All of a sudden, the download speed as tested on speed test app went down from 200 Mbps to 6 Mbps. I switched off the Wi-Fi of my phone and switched it back again. the phone then connected with ASUS router on Wi-Fi 6 and the download speed was 200mbps.
So this means that my phone performs very poorly when first connected to ASUS router. Would this be an issue with my phone not receiving signals properly because of some issue while acting like a wifi-6 client? I'm suspicious because prior to using ax88u, I was using two Netgear routers, both WiFi ac only and mu-mimo enabled, one as main router and other as AP. I never had download speed or handshaking issues with those routers. Would you be able to advice anything about this phenomena? Thank you!

Hi Indark, so here are some updates. For my laptop, I was able to finally get my company's it support to install the latest driver. The laptop is finally receiving and recognizing signals from ax88u. So this is solved. Thanks for your help!
Next, I changed the wireless channel from 128 DFS to 149 (fixed). However, I still have the problem of the phone hand shaking at a low data transfer speed with ax88u.

One more interesting incidence. I have connected Netgear R7900 in AP mode to AX88U via cat7 cable. One day, I had observed that as I entered my home, my phone had connected to the Netgear router and the download speed was 200mbps with ping of 8 milliseconds. While I was roaming in the home, I was simultaneously browsing a few websites on my phone, and I observed the phone went from Netgear to ASUS router because I could see Wi-Fi logo without the Wi-Fi 6 symbol and then as soon as it hooked to Asus, I could see Wi-Fi logo with Wi-Fi 6 symbol. All of a sudden, the download speed as tested on speed test app went down from 200 Mbps to 6 Mbps. I switched off the Wi-Fi of my phone and switched it back again. the phone then connected with ASUS router on Wi-Fi 6 and the download speed was 200mbps.
So this means that my phone performs very poorly when first connected to ASUS router. Would this be an issue with my phone not receiving signals properly because of some issue while acting like a wifi-6 client? I'm suspicious because prior to using ax88u, I was using two Netgear routers, both WiFi ac only and mu-mimo enabled, one as main router and other as AP. I never had download speed or handshaking issues with those routers. Would you be able to advice anything about this phenomena? Thank you!
Maybe you just need to forget(remove,delete) the network from your misbehaving clients restart then try to connect to have inputted the password fresh.

Hi bluepoint. Thank you for your reply. The phenomenon happens only with my note 10 plus phone. In the past, I have already done whatever you have suggested. It did not help. I'm also curious to know if this is an issue with my phone or the ASUS router? Please note, I only have one Wi-Fi 6 client so cannot check if this behavior occurs with Wi-Fi 6 clients in particular...

Hi bluepoint. Thank you for your reply. The phenomenon happens only with my note 10 plus phone. In the past, I have already done whatever you have suggested. It did not help. I'm also curious to know if this is an issue with my phone or the ASUS router? Please note, I only have one Wi-Fi 6 client so cannot check if this behavior occurs with Wi-Fi 6 clients in particular...
Since wifi 6 routers/clients are just being certified the standard hasn't really reach its maturity, you might just have to wait for driver updates of your manufacturers sadly. In the meantime, turnoff 802.11AX/wifi 6 mode to force the router in AC mode until you get a better driver from your Samsung.

Last edited:
Hi Bluepoint. Whenever I turn off Wifi 6 in ax88u, the slow speed problem still occurs on my mobile device. I believe this may be an issue more on Samsung end, but at same time I was wondering if I should return the ax88u instead as the technology has not matured yet... I may take a call soon. Am on phone right now with Asus support and raising a ticket too - they have asked me to change 5G to 80Mhz (instead of 20/40/80) and choose channel to auto. I will observe for next few days....

Last edited:
Ok so now, nothing has helped. Called Samsung customer care and they asked me to replace router. So now Asus is pointing fingers at Samsung and vice versa. This is going nowhere!

FYI for everyone - I just got on phone, my 4th time with Asus. They finally agreed that one more user was facing same issue so they have taken feedback seriously and are addressing this connectivity issue via another firmware update. No idea when this would be released. Asus asked me to return to original seller (an individual on eBay as it is within 30 days of purchase) or send to Asus for service. If service, then I will have to pay for shipping and arrange for a temporary router myself. Hence returning to seller on eBay. So we do have issues where router will not talk well with certain devices!

new firmware for the ax88u is out, give that a shot to see if it fix the issue you experience
ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.7756
- Enhanced the Wi-Fi 6 performance with Apple® iPhone11, Samsung® S10.
- Supported WPA3
- Supported OFDMA
- Supported 802.11k and 802.11v
- Fixed Let's encrypt register related bugs.
- Fixed connection issues between Android and RT-AX88U IPSec VPN server.
- Improved system stability.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 8d4120bb7af814e7e755dbe3b6bbbb6c

new firmware for the ax88u is out, give that a shot to see if it fix the issue you experience
- Supported WPA3
- Supported OFDMA

Waiting for GPL, then fun starts.

I am having issues with my iPad Pro 11, when in my bedroom the iPad constantly loses internet connectivity every 90 seconds or so. It stays connected to the WiFi network, but internet sites just do not load. If I toggle WiFi off then back on, it will work for another 90 seconds. This problem is driving me nuts. My old Ubiquiti Amplifi router did not have this trouble. Running the latest 3.0 WiFi6 certified firmware. Turning off 2.4Ghz did not work. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

- Supported WPA3
- Supported OFDMA

I thank you immensely, indark, for this timely notice.
I was in a bitter situation as I was waiting for seller on eBay to accept my return request. He is a good guy who did not use the router on Ax devices. Now that I have purchased from him and using it on ax client, we came across this issue. Immediately upon reading this note, I updated the router firmware. I then went outside my home for a short walk but when I came back, my cellphone still had poor download speed with router upon reconnecting on 5Ghz. I explained this new observation and sent screenshots of speedtest and the seller kindly accepted my return request. Sadly this update did not sort out my issue.
But here is the good part: I had purchased a new AX88U at full price from Amazon. Initially I noted my 2.4 Ghz speed was very poor 4-25 mbps even when "6" was seen in wifi logo, means cellphone and router were on some new signal standard. With this update, I am getting 7 ms ping and 120-130 mbps download speed (same speeds on 2.4 Ghz with the "faulty" router described above). So this update did really speed up the internet speeds most evidently seen on 2.4 Ghz frequency. Also worth noting: I am not having the "poor download speed upon reconnect" with the brand new router that I just got.

Hello from Germany

This is a bug i already noticed and spent hours and hours with my Note 10 Plus and Asus AX88U !!! Now after 2 Month i give up. If you have 2 same 5GHZ Networks in your house (for better coverage) with the same SSID you can
see what is happening. My Internet Provider Speed is 200 down and 80 up. When first connected to the Asus Wifi 6 Router everything is fine. Than when you go one floor up you will get connected to the Other (i have tested both Asus AI and also as normal Access point via Ethernet ) Router and everything is ok. But than when you go back and connect again with the Asus AX88u in Wifi6 the Download speed on my Note 10 Plus is capped at 4-7 mbps down and 10 up !!! from 200/80. This is only affecting on the new Asus AX88u and Note 10 Plus and it doasn't metter if you switch Wifi6 or use Wifi5 AC . I tested also without 160 Mhz and every other mode nothing is changing. The sync on the Note 10 Plus is 1200 mbps on 5 GHZ so the most possible sync between note 10 device and the Router !! But after you connect to the same SSID on other channel in your house you will have this bug when returning to the Asus AX88u ! Only way is WIFI off and ON and all Speed are back again on Note 10. I have written to Samsung but no one replyed. With other devices like IPAD Pro 12.9 2018 or some Xiaomi devices everything works fine. Only Note 10 Plus is having this Bug . Most of the People will not notice it because almost all services will run fine for them with 10 mbps but i do because i always have my note 10 with Network Data in Statusbar and want to know all the time my network speed etc.
Sry for my English but i hope you understand. Definitly a AX88u Bug !

UPDATE: I tested with new Firmware from 25 of November they seemed to fixed it !!!

Update again : The Bug is still there! Almost every time when u roam in your house and reach again the wifi 6 router from Asus.

Again I have two wifi in my house with same ssid and different channels. It doesn't matter if you put the second router in access point mode or normal router(connected via ethernet cat 6 to Asus) . I also tryed a second Asus Router in Asus Mesh mode wired and over WiFi. Still same behavior.

When first connected to the Asus rt ax 88u with my note 10 plus everything is fine. The wifi sync is 1200 mbps when in same room and I get all of my isp bandwidth 200/80 from my provider. When I move upstairs and reach the second Hotspot the phone automatically switches to the other router (also tested different once). Also here everything is OK you get the full bandwidth up and down. But as soon as you return to the wifi 6 coverage of the rt ax88u the wifi speeds are dropping to almost 4-7 mbps! Down and maximum 20-30 up. Really strange behavior the sync is normal with 1200 mbps but you get no bandwidth! When moving up to the other network everything works fine again.

Also tryed with switching of ax mode but same problem with AC mode. This is a huge bug with Galaxy note 10 plus and Asus AX 88u Router

Hello from Germany

This is a bug i already noticed and spent hours and hours with my Note 10 Plus and Asus AX88U !!! Now after 2 Month i give up. If you have 2 same 5GHZ Networks in your house (for better coverage) with the same SSID you can
see what is happening. My Internet Provider Speed is 200 down and 80 up. When first connected to the Asus Wifi 6 Router everything is fine. Than when you go one floor up you will get connected to the Other (i have tested both Asus AI and also as normal Access point via Ethernet ) Router and everything is ok. But than when you go back and connect again with the Asus AX88u in Wifi6 the Download speed on my Note 10 Plus is capped at 4-7 mbps down and 10 up !!! from 200/80. This is only affecting on the new Asus AX88u and Note 10 Plus and it doasn't metter if you switch Wifi6 or use Wifi5 AC . I tested also without 160 Mhz and every other mode nothing is changing. The sync on the Note 10 Plus is 1200 mbps on 5 GHZ so the most possible sync between note 10 device and the Router !! But after you connect to the same SSID on other channel in your house you will have this bug when returning to the Asus AX88u ! Only way is WIFI off and ON and all Speed are back again on Note 10. I have written to Samsung but no one replyed. With other devices like IPAD Pro 12.9 2018 or some Xiaomi devices everything works fine. Only Note 10 Plus is having this Bug . Most of the People will not notice it because almost all services will run fine for them with 10 mbps but i do because i always have my note 10 with Network Data in Statusbar and want to know all the time my network speed etc.
Sry for my English but i hope you understand. Definitly a AX88u Bug !

UPDATE: I tested with new Firmware from 25 of November they seemed to fixed it !!!

Update again : The Bug is still there! Almost every time when u roam in your house and reach again the wifi 6 router from Asus.

Again I have two wifi in my house with same ssid and different channels. It doesn't matter if you put the second router in access point mode or normal router(connected via ethernet cat 6 to Asus) . I also tryed a second Asus Router in Asus Mesh mode wired and over WiFi. Still same behavior.

When first connected to the Asus rt ax 88u with my note 10 plus everything is fine. The wifi sync is 1200 mbps when in same room and I get all of my isp bandwidth 200/80 from my provider. When I move upstairs and reach the second Hotspot the phone automatically switches to the other router (also tested different once). Also here everything is OK you get the full bandwidth up and down. But as soon as you return to the wifi 6 coverage of the rt ax88u the wifi speeds are dropping to almost 4-7 mbps! Down and maximum 20-30 up. Really strange behavior the sync is normal with 1200 mbps but you get no bandwidth! When moving up to the other network everything works fine again.

Also tryed with switching of ax mode but same problem with AC mode. This is a huge bug with Galaxy note 10 plus and Asus AX 88u Router

their is a new firmware 7968 that is out

firmware 7968 is on web site

I checked the Website for Europe latest version is still from 25.11.19

Nothing to see here 7968

OK found it here installed it right now will test during the day thanks guys. Quick notice under wifi settings what is the new entry there called
WiFi Agile Multiband?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!