What's new

AX88U and Ring Doorbell 4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sparko

New Around Here
I have my AX88U installed in my Living Room and the wifi coverage has always been fantastic and covered the whole house. Recently we had a porch installed and thought we would treat ourselves to a ring 4 Doorbell. After fitting it i was getting an RSSI of 86 so i brought a Chime pro and that brought it down to 73 at best and this is still not good enough to get the liveview to work and for the video and audio to not stutter and they recommend 0-60 rssi. To be fair my phone too does struggle where it is installed. Moving my router is not an option as my wife has said she will leave me if i do that and its also wired to all my devices in the lounge. I thought i could go for Aimesh but im worried that it will be in the next room in the Kitchen and they will be too close to each other. My house is not massive as my doorbell is only about 10 metres from the router but it goes threw a few walls and the insulation is overkill as the house is only 12 years old. So im after some ideas and recommendations if possible.

I have my AX88U installed in my Living Room and the wifi coverage has always been fantastic and covered the whole house. Recently we had a porch installed and thought we would treat ourselves to a ring 4 Doorbell. After fitting it i was getting an RSSI of 86 so i brought a Chime pro and that brought it down to 73 at best and this is still not good enough to get the liveview to work and for the video and audio to not stutter and they recommend 0-60 rssi. To be fair my phone too does struggle where it is installed. Moving my router is not an option as my wife has said she will leave me if i do that and its also wired to all my devices in the lounge. I thought i could go for Aimesh but im worried that it will be in the next room in the Kitchen and they will be too close to each other. My house is not massive as my doorbell is only about 10 metres from the router but it goes threw a few walls and the insulation is overkill as the house is only 12 years old. So im after some ideas and recommendations if possible.

I would consider a repeater/range extender. I'm considering that myself for a nest doorbell. It mostly works, but the signal strength is marginal. It would seem overkill to go whole house mesh just to deal with one dead area.

Or, try relocating the main router to more fully cover the area(s) intended.

Even a few inches in 3D space can make a huge improvement without affecting the areas that are strong now.

Okay this is going to sound stupid and I don't mean to sound like a wisea**... have you tried different antenna positions on the router? I had an outside wifi camera that gave me all kinds of problems and I found just getting an antenna on the router the right way fixed it... hasn't been an issue for months. I am convinced the antenna positions make a difference, if I change them I lose the camera almost instantly. Costs nothing to try.

Okay this is going to sound stupid and I don't mean to sound like a wisea**... have you tried different antenna positions on the router? I had an outside wifi camera that gave me all kinds of problems and I found just getting an antenna on the router the right way fixed it... hasn't been an issue for months. I am convinced the antenna positions make a difference, if I change them I lose the camera almost instantly. Costs nothing to try.
No you dont sound like that, i appreciate all help thank you and i will have a play around with them tomorrow and see if it helps. Im also going to try and raise it up to avoid some obsticles namely my wireless surround speakers to my home theatre which may not be helping.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!