What's new

AX88U channel bandwidth setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neil0311

Can anyone please explain what the difference is between 20/40/80 MHz and setting to 80 MHz?

Wireless mode is set to “Auto” for the 5 GHz network, and all of the devices are WiFi 5 or 6 capable. So is there really any practical difference between the 2 channel bandwidth settings?

Is one recommended over the other?

What are your ISP speeds? What are you normally transferring/copying on your network (internally), if anything?

If all your client devices work with 80MHz width, and it allows you to use a higher percentage of your ISP provided speeds, that is where I would suggest it be set.

Note that the client devices do not need to support 80MHz bandwidth (they will use what they can). By 'work with 80MHz width', I mean will they connect to the network at all.

If you're able to use 80MHz bandwidth you are using a much smaller time slice of your local Wi-Fi environment. This not only makes your network faster but faster also for your neighbors too. As long as you're not continuously downloading or uploading data 24/7, of course. :)

For normal usage, the network devices will be able to take a larger 'bite' of data each time and be able to do it faster too. Leaving more time in-between for other networks' use too.

Can anyone please explain what the difference is between 20/40/80 MHz and setting to 80 MHz?

Wireless mode is set to “Auto” for the 5 GHz network, and all of the devices are WiFi 5 or 6 capable. So is there really any practical difference between the 2 channel bandwidth settings?

Is one recommended over the other?

How I do it... set 80 MHz and if a client has issues, set 20/40/80 MHz. It has been suggested that even 80 MHz falls back, but who knows what the firmware decides to do... I try not to spend too much time deciphering it.

OE

What are your ISP speeds? What are you normally transferring/copying on your network (internally), if anything?

Comcast gigabit. Mix of AC, AX devices and mix of phones (that are connected to the 2.4 GHz) and media devices and laptops that need higher download speed that are on the 5GHz.

With a 1Gbps ISP service, I would be testing the 5GHz band to see if my client devices behaved when the router is set to 80MHz bandwidth. :)

With a 1Gbps ISP service, I would be testing the 5GHz band to see if my client devices behaved when the router is set to 80MHz bandwidth. :)

you saying shift all the devices to the 5GHz network?

I can’t imagine any of the clients on the 5GHz now would have any issues. They’re all modern devices.

I just wasn’t sure what the technical difference was between the settings. Sounds like “80 MHz” is the preferred one.

I just wasn’t sure what the technical difference was between the settings. Sounds like “80 MHz” is the preferred one.

A larger bandwidth means using more channels for a larger pipe, more throughput in time. This channel graph might help:

1611256539145.png

80 MHz will span non-DFS channels 36-48 or 149-161.

OE

So will the 20/40/80 setting.

Of course... that is clearly shown in the graph I posted... although 20 and 40 will not span the entire range. My observation was for example. I use 80 MHz and non-DFS channels, so that's all that's on my mind.

OE

Of course... that is clearly shown in the graph I posted... although 20 and 40 will not span the entire range. My observation was for example. I use 80 MHz and non-DFS channels, so that's all that's on my mind.

OE
Your install notes show you using - set 5.0 WLAN to SSID-50, n/ac, 20/40/80 MHz, ch 36-48 52-144 (DFS) 149-161 165, WPA2-AES*

Your install notes show you using - set 5.0 WLAN to SSID-50, n/ac, 20/40/80 MHz, ch 36-48 52-144 (DFS) 149-161 165, WPA2-AES*

They show what I have posted for a baseline configuration. I experiment with same and different SSIDs... currently using different SSIDs. 20/40/80 and 80 yield the same result with my 5.0 clients... 80 MHz. I skip using DFS channels and lone channel CH 165 at 20 MHz, hence the channels in bold... currently using 149+ at 80 MHz.

OE

<snip>

I believe that the difference is 20/40/80 will select the bandwidth (20, 40 or 80) setting for the wifi radio based on channel availability, noise etc. 80Mhz will force it to always use 80.

Client devices will each select a bandwidth based on their own capability (20, 40 or 80) up to a maximum of the router's current value.