What's new

Solved AX88u: failure to connect devices – given IP 192.168.0.x when network is 192.168.1.x

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blacktop_

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I am a huge fan of this project, thanks to everyone. I have a dilemma, will detail the problem then below a list of attempted repairs/fixes, mostly learned from this forum. This post will be deficient in details, I will watch it and supply that info ASAP. I am 97% sure this is a user error.

It has taken ages to figure out the problem, it seems my ax88u on 192.168.1.1 is giving our IP addresses both on wifi and LAN to devices with this 192.168.0.x, or somehow all my devices are taking 192.168.0.x.

It has affected all devices universally, windows/apple/linux. Now that I have identified this is the problem I can sort it out on windows and linux by renewing my ip. However, all apple devices are stuck on 192.168.0.x.

Network setup:

ISP router----ax88u---LAN---au68u-AP with 3 directional antenna))) wifi (((au68u-media-bridge with 3 directional antenna---LAN---au68u))) wifi to remote site

then tried

ISP router--bridged--ax88u---LAN---au68u-AP with 3 directional antenna))) wifi (((au68u-media-bridge with 3 directional antenna---LAN---au68u))) wifi to remote site

This was confounded by my ISP breaking the network with a new hardware install (switch in neighborhood) that took 1 month to sort out. The timing of this problem is difficult to totally pin down. The ISP is back to fully working.

Things of note:

Only the ax88u give out 192.168.0.x. I have two APs (only one on the above map for simplicity) remote site and garage that serve 192.168.1.x.

ax88u guest network serves 192.168.1.x and works well.

(attempted) Fixes so far:

Updated all devices to current merlinwrt builds, then worked backwards to previous builds to see if I could shake this. Each firmware downgrade was followed by the L&LD process to factory reset and test. I would do a fresh setup and then try restoring an old config file, neither worked to resolve the 192.168.0.x.

I followed these: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/guide-troubleshooting-wifi-issues.12825/

I reset my SSID to a new name three different times, reset my apple devices networking to factory, reset my phone once.

I have tested the idevices on different networks and they are all functional.

Given that me must have internet for work at home, I enabled the ISP modem (took off bridge mode) and have the much discussed double NAT setup at the moment – the win and linux devices work on ax88u.

As a last ditch effort, I restored every device back to the most current ASUS firmware and still 192.168.0.x haunts the apple devices.

Here are the versions I have unsuccessfully tried:

RT-AX88U_386.8_0, RT-AX88U_386.7_2, RT-AX88U_386.7_0, RT-AX88U_386.5_2, RT-AX88U_386.5_0

RT-AC68U_386.7_2, RT-AC68U_386.7_0, RT-AC68U_386.5_2, RT-AC68U_386.5_0,

Now back to ASUS factory firmware:

ax88u Version 3.0.0.4.388.20518

ac68u Version 3.0.0.4.386.49703

Any suggestions welcome, I am out of next steps.

Kind regards,

*edited to reflect correct IPs.

**big thanks to Martinski for pointing this out, and showing me the edit button.

Last edited:
It has taken ages to figure out the problem, it seems my ax88u on 192.169.1.1 is giving our IP addresses both on wifi and LAN to devices with this 192.168.0.x, or somehow all my devices are taking 192.168.0.x
I'm assuming that the IP address "192.169.1.1" given above is a typo, correct?
Just double-checking...

You might want to provide screenshots of your router configuration, especially those related to the LAN DHCP Server for more context.

Attachments

• ax88u router address.PNG
    ax88u router address.PNG
    4.6 KB · Views: 109
  • iphone.PNG
    iphone.PNG
    39.5 KB · Views: 103
  • LAN DHCP.PNG
    LAN DHCP.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 101
If I can edit my first post I will correct that.
Yes, you can. Use the "Edit" button below your signature and to the left of the "Reply" button.

Edit_Button.jpg

I assume that by "au68u" you probably mean RT-AC68U?

If the LAN DHCP settings referred to in the previous post are correct then I'd say you have another device connected to your network that is acting as a DHCP server. 192.168.0.1 is not one of the default addresses used by Asus routers. Possibly you have your ISP router plugged into the Asus' LAN port by mistake.

What about a screenshot of your "LAN - DHCP Server" router webpage?
Again, for more context. The devil is in the details...
I added that screen shot to the previous post. I will watch and post any others that would be helpful.

If the LAN DHCP settings referred to in the previous post are correct then I'd say you have another device connected to your network that is acting as a DHCP server. 192.168.0.1 is not one of the default addresses used by Asus routers. Possibly you have your ISP router plugged into the Asus' LAN port by mistake.
Thanks for your query, you were correct it was the RT-AC68U, post updated.

I will check the back of the router when I can access it. That is a very good point.

Depending on the O/S of the client, there are a number of ways of determining which DHCP server answered the DHCP request.

Example

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried wireshark, and it was lots of data that was a bit of a learning curve to interpret.

I tried simply to follow the IP trail back by using 192.168.0.1 in my browser, and interestingly it took me to my IP's router at 10.0.0.1.

I then put my IP's router in bridge mode, the rebooted everything - routers and computers. I had to fix some devices as they were stuck on the 192.168.0.x addresses, but it seems to be stable and working.

Apple devices were the slowest/biggest pain to reconnect. Forgetting network, rebooting, signing into network, rebooting, then waiting. Most are back online.

Currently ip->ax88u->multiple APs.

I will mark this a resolved, however I changed so many things along the way, it is hard to know which was the actual fix. The working network will stay as it for a few months, then I will tinker/break/repair in my journey to learn.

Thanks to everyone for helping me along the way. It is appreciated.

Depending on the O/S of the client, there are a number of ways of determining which DHCP server answered the DHCP request.

Example
Thank you for your suggestion, this put me on the correct path, I think.