What's new

AX88U Pro - Official vs Merlin FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hi everyone
i just bought a AX88U-PRO to replace my AC88U.
my AC88U has been running on Merlin Firmware since the beginning, no worrries at all :)

i thought doing the same with my new out-of-the-box AX88U-PRO.
Always runs fine until i test my interconnectiono_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

With the Asus firmware 3.0.0.6.102_33308 : 943Mbps
With the Merlin firmware 3004.388.6_0 : 94Mbps

every criteria was the same :
- sames options activated (l also tested without certain options (firewall, QOS...), but that didn't change the bad result of the Marlin Firmware).
- same equipement tested
- tests made on the firmware interface to avoid a wifi problem (that make me think the problem is on the wan output managment )

Go back to Asus Firmware and i retreive my Gbps connection....

do you face the same issue?
did you test before and after installing Merlin Firmware?

thanks for tour advise

What do you see with https://www.speedtest.net/apps

3.0.0.6.xxx and 3.0.0.4.xxx
Dunno; what are the current drivers &c. between them? I guess what I'm suggesting is perhaps Merlin is as current in that respect.

I know of no such degradation using Merlin releases on my (non AX-88U Pro) hardware. And the OP shouldn't neither. Something wasn't done right-enough.

Drivers aren't the issue here.

Major Firmware versions are.

i used this website for everytest :
https://www.speedtest.net/fr/result/15835399854

same MO and same equipment (S22 ULTRA connecter with wifi AX, ROG laptop with Wifi AC) for each test
options were totally the same between 2 firmware, except of course if Merlin add some specification

you can see all the test made in the router on this picture.
the switch from asus firmware to merlin, to asus again, is obvious in the result !!!
i don't understand !!!

20240202-AX88U-PRO-1Ghz-Merlin.jpg

20240202-AX88U-PRO-2.5Ghz-Asus.jpg

i think i will make the same test with my AC88U before selling it

Attachments

• 20240202-AX88U-PRO-2.5Ghz-Asus.jpg
    20240202-AX88U-PRO-2.5Ghz-Asus.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 14

When flashing between stock and RMerlin firmware, are you performing a full reset? And not using a saved backup config file? Minimal and Manual configuration only, to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

Particularly when you're jumping back from 3.0.0.6.xxx and 3.0.0.4.xxx firmware levels?
i didn't reste between flashing, neither from Asus to Merlin (with degraded performance) or Merlin to Asus (with a return to normal performance). but i can try
no saved backup config file used
Tests were made with Minimal configuration, only ISP connection (1G first and 2.5G second)

We don't (normally) reset between flashing.

First, flash the firmware you want. Secondly, fully reset the router. Then, Minimally and Manually configure it to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

thank you for you help
i decide to upgrade to an AXE16000, i lost to much of my connection with this AX88PRO
i will do as you advise me ;)