What's new

AX88U - Red WAN light, GUI says disconnected, have IP address, actually online

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pcss

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Did a dirty flash from 384.18 to .19 shortly after it was released, no issues whatsoever. Was running amtm for SNMP via a USB drive, again, no issues.

Fast forward to an hour ago, no changes to config at all, access to things on my LAN starts dropping off, try a few pings which fail, restart my switch. No dice. Log into the AX88U which says I'm disconnected and that I don't have a WAN IP address. I do, and I do actually have connectivity to the internet.

Router is physically up a little higher than I am tall, I climb up to see the WAN LED is red. Neither of these, the no WAN IP in the GUI and the red LED have ever happened before, let alone anything else.

Cold boot of the AX88U hasn't sorted it. Ejecting the USB from the GUI and a cold boot hasn't sorted it.

Thoroughly confused here, appreciate any pointers, thanks!

Edit: Clicking on Network Map briefly shows my WAN IP address and then reverts back to disconnected. The correct address is still shown in the Internet Status GUI on the right hand side.

Last edited:
What is the " Connect to DNS Server automatically" checkbox set to in the WAN DNS Settings showing?

If it is on 'Yes', or on 'No' with no DNS servers specified, that is probably the cause.

Try setting it to 'No' and using 1.0.0.1 and 1.1.1.1 in the DNS Server 1 and Server 2 fields (available when you select 'No'.

My settings are as attached.. my PiHole install (unRAID docker) and Google for failover.. should I still change them?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 1.01.34 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 1.01.34 am.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 237
Do the logs show anything unusual around the time it happened?

I noticed last night my AX88U did the same, but applying a change of DNS corrected it - I had DNS issues a few days ago out of the blue with no changes to the config and needed to change something anyway.

I actually have the same problem. Still have no idea why too. But other thing that I remember is that it only red when i turn IPV6 on, with DNS specified for both IPV4 and IPV6. Not that it cause any problem, just an eye sore. So any help is appreciated.

IPV6 wasn't turned on in my case. Changed to Cloudflare DNS' exclusively as suggested and WAN IP is now displayed and red WAN LED is now white, as it should be.

Two questions:

1/ Why? What happened? Literally nothing changed.
2/ How am I supposed to use my existing PiHole now?

Try Diversion instead? :)

I'll certainly look into it, for the moment I'd just like to get my set up back to how it was or as close to it, if possible. Am I ok, to shut down the router, reinsert the USB and restart now? Sorry, if it seems I'm being overcautious here, again, I have no idea why this happened all of a sudden - things dropping off my LAN until that specific DNS change (when my original settings were not at all invalid) isn't making a lot of sense to me.

I'll certainly look into it, for the moment I'd just like to get my set up back to how it was or as close to it, if possible. Am I ok, to shut down the router, reinsert the USB and restart now? Sorry, if it seems I'm being overcautious here, again, I have no idea why this happened all of a sudden - things dropping off my LAN until that specific DNS change (when my original settings were not at all invalid) isn't making a lot of sense to me.

Back up and going to a point, USB plugged back in, SNMP going again, really bugged by whatever caused this knocking out connectivity to most of my LAN and changing DNS' (from a set up that was working fine) being the only fix. Is there a connectivity check the Asus does I'm not getting here? Using CloudFlare DNS' for the moment, not my own unRAID/PiHole.

Some reason mine did it also , red light on the WAN , but still had internet , running raspberry Pi 4 here with Adguard, never changed anything , USB ssd in the primary router, running a VPN also, rebooted the modem and router couple times , red light went away

DNS server tls://dns.quad9.net

Last edited: