What's new

AX88U Sudden Death x 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jimmy9

Occasional Visitor
Hi there, i bought the AX88U in 2020, i have a 3100 as a wired WAP. The AX88 has an 8 port switch attached, so only 2 LAN cables connected, it runs Next DNS and IPv6 and thats about it.

6 months ago suddenly in the evening it just powered off and could not be turned on. I google every hardware reset method and I had to send it back and they said they applied firm to fix it.

Tonight it has a happened again.

Is there any DIY method of 'applying the firmware' or otherwise forcing this to reset?

Has anyone else experienced it, or got any tips or advice? Other than this, its a great system.

Thanks in advance.

I managed to reset it. Just holding trhe WPS and then powering on did not work the first 5 times. Finally it did, now i will apply latest merlin and re confg and document for quick recovery later. But keen to know if anyone else has had this?

I was going to say I'd be eyeing the psu as the likely suspect.

I have an AP AC3100, i will swap the power on them.

But why? Something weird with the power causing the device to brick/corrupt in some way?

I guess not much else i can do but see if the issue follows the power supply to the AP.

thanks

But why? Something weird with the power causing the device to brick/corrupt in some way?
With age and heavy usage components within the power supply will also age and can reduce the output voltage to a point where voltage regulation in the router will struggle to maintain their outputs. As the voltage drops further digital devices will stall and leave your router in an "unknown state" where it'll just shut off to protect itself.
Also possible with age is ac noise, which with a digital circuit can have the same effect.
You can test the psu with a multimeter and it'll show the full 19volts. They need to be tested with a load of about 2amps, which is beyond the remit of your average home user (needs a 10ohm resistive load rated at >40watts).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!