What's new

AX88U wifi speed on upper band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ola Malmstrom

Regular Contributor
My Samsung S10e connects to my AC87U AP with a download speed of about 300 mbps 10 meters (30 feet) away through a wooden wall. Which is quite OK.

On my AX88U router on the upper band (channel 140) it connects
  • with a download speed about 130 mbps 1 meter (3 feet) away without anything between
  • but only with 20 MHz bandwidth 2 streams despite enabling 20/40/80/160
On my AX88U router on the lower band (channel 64) it connects
  • with a download speed of about 500 mbps (which is my ISP connection) 1 meter (3 feet) away without anything between
  • using 80 MHz bandwidth 2 streams
So my questions are:
  • Why doesn't it connect with (at least) 80 MHz on the upper band? (Not sure if the S10e can handle 160 MHz).
  • Why doesn't it connect using 4 streams? The S10e is supposed to be able to do this since it has 4x4 MIMO (according to their own specifications).
  • Is there something I can tweak in the Wireless settings for the 5 GHz band to get it to work on the upper band with 4 streams and/or 80/160 MHz?

Last edited:
As you are in Sweden the only valid bandwidth for channel 140 is 20 MHz. Using 40 or 80 MHz would mean also using channels 142 and 142 which are not allowed.

The highest channel you can use with 80 MHz bandwidth is 128, which covers channels 116 to 128. Those channels may not be available because of interference with weather radar. In which case the highest 80 MHz channel would be 112, which covers channels 100 to 112.

To see what channels are permissible for a given bandwidth change the Channel bandwidth setting from 20/40/80/160 to 80 (for example) and then look at Control Channel options.

Last edited:
Very good answer Colin thanks!!

So just by selecting "auto" on the router will not provide me with the best possible wifi speed. I need to understand the table and select band carefully.

Tried switching channels to see what happened.

Seems my router has lost its upper 5GHz bands. Whenever I select channel 100 or above, I don't get any signal at all. Neither my Win 10 PC with Wifi Analyzer nor my phone with Wifi ANalyzer or WiFiman can detect any signal. Do I have a some kind of HW failure?

Tried switching channels to see what happened.

Seems my router has lost its upper 5GHz bands. Whenever I select channel 100 or above, I don't get any signal at all. Neither my Win 10 PC with Wifi Analyzer nor my phone with Wifi ANalyzer or WiFiman can detect any signal. Do I have a some kind of HW failure?
How long did you wait after switching channels? There will be at least a 60 second delay before the SSID becomes active when using channels 50 and above.

As noted above you need to wait for DFS clearance before checking - depending on which channels (weather or radar) it may take between 1 and 5 minutes before a signal is available - if you go System Log / Wireless Log and look a the 5 Ghz section you can see if the router is waiting or transmitting (or trying to transmit)

On my AX88U I have
Wireless 5 GHz
SSID: XXXXX Mode: AP
Noise: -87 dBm Channel: 100/80 BSSID: AA:BB:CC:00:11:22
DFS State: In-Service Monitoring (ISM) Time elapsed: 54h 28m 8s Channel cleared for radar: 100/80

Thanks! Another piece of very useful information!

What does the router do when a channel suddenly becomes unavailable after having been cleared? Is the selected channel moved by the router, is the 5GHz band stopped or does something else happen?