What's new

AX98X random reboots

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Funnily, the RT-AX89X worked for me in terms of getting close to ISP-advertised wired speeds with AiProtection enabled. The AXE16000s gave me barely a quarter of those wired speeds with the same function turned on. Seems to be a NAT/CPU problem on that router according to Merlin. So I returned them. After complaining to Asus about this, they told me their development team was were working with TrendMicro to come up with a workaround for that.

Funnily, the RT-AX89X worked for me in terms of getting close to ISP-advertised wired speeds with AiProtection enabled. The AXE16000s gave me barely a quarter of those wired speeds with the same function turned on. Seems to be a NAT/CPU problem on that router according to Merlin. So I returned them. After complaining to Asus about this, they told me their development team was were working with TrendMicro to come up with a workaround for that.

Honestly, the RT-AX89X is close to perfection.. but sadly close to and perfect seem to have a rather wide rift ;-;

Btw.. and sorry for the double post but just got done reading all that thread.. and damn fam you got 10gb to your house? #_# lucky....

Btw.. and sorry for the double post but just got done reading all that thread.. and damn fam you got 10gb to your house? #_# lucky....
Thanks. The RT-AX98X seems to be the only consumer all-in-one router that works relatively well with my fiber broadband at the moment. The AXE16000s were a bust...There's TP-Link's AXE300, but it has the same Broadcom quad-core CPU as the AXE16000 so that's probably going to run into the same issues I've encountered before...

Honestly, the RT-AX89X is close to perfection.. but sadly close to and perfect seem to have a rather wide rift ;
I feel the same. If I can figure out the spontaneous reboots, I expect to keep mine for at least 3 or 4 years

Last edited:
Rebooted again after two days. Log was cleared when it came back.
I reached out to the networking team for ASUS.. if I actually get a response I'll tell you and maybe they will help you to. I wonder if the email address I found is even still alive but it hasn't bounced back yet..

I appreciate it. Trying to figure out what to do. Worried that if I send it back, they'll run it a day or two, nothing will happen and they'll simply return it.

Someone from asus gave me this firmware RT-AX89U_9.0.0.4_386_50515-g85d285d_for_customer.trx you can try to get if from them through the feedback on the router

Honestly I don't know. I just told him that I had issues with a node connected the router and it would no give internet when devices would connect to the node so he emailed me a day after we got that new firmware and he told me try this firmware so far seems pretty stable https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/E2949813A1B84DD0A4762DE5E04E22B04
Did you email the network_support@asus.com email or some other thing? Cause their front-line support basically was incredibly unhelpful.

No guts, no glory! Seriously, I'm ready to switch out the router anyhow so I installed it. Works fine and nothing obviously fishy. Too early to tell if it resolved anything but it didn't brick it...

No guts, no glory! Seriously, I'm ready to switch out the router anyhow so I installed it. Works fine and nothing obviously fishy. Too early to tell if it resolved anything but it didn't brick it...
o-o I threw it on there and when it was flashing I read the file name again and saw it said AX89U instead of 89X and almost had a heart attack but it took it anyways lol

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!