What's new

AX98X random reboots

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brad H

Occasional Visitor
I have an one year old AX98X. Has worked fine until the latest firmware. But twice, when using a wired Roku, the router seems to reboot. All of the lights go out, then red WAN and eventually all white. I would say it is a spontaneous reboot but both of my AiMesh nodes reconnect immediately and clients are still attached to those nodes and that wouldn't be the case with a true reboot. At first I was thinking heat but the Fan Tuning is showing everything to be very cool (50 c). Also of note, this has only happened twice, about a month apart. To me, it feels like firmware, not hardware, is the issue since it is so rare and started after the latest firmware. I have five wired devices & around forty wireless. RAM shows 50% free so that isn't it.

Anyone else seen this? OK with RMAing it but my hunch is that won't fix it. Might just need to wait for another firmware release....

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues.

Seems like the obvious answer is to revert to the previous firmware version?
If others are seeing these issues, sure. If it is specific to this unit, probably not. That is why I asked if anyone else has encountered this.

If others are seeing these issues, sure. If it is specific to this unit, probably not. That is why I asked if anyone else has encountered this.
I'm running the latest firmware and my router hasn't been rebooted for a very long time. Though I've never used ethernet to a Roku as I have a 10 gig switch that is multi-ethernet/fiber so nothing besides the switch hooks directly to the router.

I'll just tell you though that ASUS support is pretty incompetant. I argued with them for weeks about I problem I still have to this day and never have had on any previous router and they just kept wanting to RMA it saying "its a processor issue"...

I'm running the latest firmware and my router hasn't been rebooted for a very long time. Though I've never used ethernet to a Roku as I have a 10 gig switch that is multi-ethernet/fiber so nothing besides the switch hooks directly to the router.

I'll just tell you though that ASUS support is pretty incompetant. I argued with them for weeks about I problem I still have to this day and never have had on any previous router and they just kept wanting to RMA it saying "its a processor issue"...
Agree about ASUS support. Nice people, quick to give a RMA but I would not call them support. At this point, I'm probably going to wait on a new firmware and if it does happen again, send the log in to ASUS. Just dread messing with a RMA while having the feeling that it will not solve it.

Thanks for response. I appreciate your time.

Agree about ASUS support. Nice people, quick to give a RMA but I would not call them support. At this point, I'm probably going to wait on a new firmware and if it does happen again, send the log in to ASUS. Just dread messing with a RMA while having the feeling that it will not solve it.

Welcome.. I know this one will never be supported by Merlin just wish I could morph it into an AXE16000 #_#.. Having Merlin's firmware makes basically any Asus router I've ever used work amazingly well. Having to rely on ASUS for firmware is so meh... I will say it's a good router just seems wasted since ASUS tends to have problems with their firmware and support doesn't seem to communicate stuff to their networking people. I miss the days when I could find ASUS employees on different boards and tell them problems and they'd legit go and fix them and send you a firmware to test out. Back when I had a 2990wx threadripper there was a guy like that. Was so sad when he quit his job. He made tons of customizations for the community up to that point. Anyways they've not released an updated firmware since April so I'm starting to wonder if they are going to drop support or something. They used to (seemingly) release updates every quarter but maybe I'm imagining it.

Btw what hardware revision do you have? It should say on the box. Apparently B2 is the best..

Honestly, if they are already cutting back on updates for the AX98X, I am going to have a hard time buying yet another expensive router from ASUS.

Btw what hardware revision do you have? It should say on the box. Apparently B2 is the best..
The box is long gone but I'm pretty sure it is a B2. I remember seeing that discussion when I purchased it so I checked it then.

Well, it rebooted again so I got a RMA through the automated system. But, then I chatted to ask if I could get a replacement sent in advance with a credit card to cover them if I didn't send in the RMA'ed unit. They said no because my router would not be replaced but repaired and returned. I had RMA a ROG GT5300 several years ago and they did the advanced shipping on that one. Very disappointing since that means being without a network for maybe two weeks or having to dig out an old router that was retired because it was acting up.

This, and the slowing down of updates, makes me wonder if the AX98X is still being produced. I think when buying a $400-$450 router, it is not unreasonable to expect a higher level of support. Most home users don't have spare routers laying around or can afford to wait for them to get , fix and return it. Never mind the slowdown of updates after just two years of being released.

I use AiMesh so it would be hard to switch from Asus but I might anyhow. I think buying more expensive equipment should not only get you better hardware, but also better support.

Well, it rebooted again so I got a RMA through the automated system. But, then I chatted to ask if I could get a replacement sent in advance with a credit card to cover them if I didn't send in the RMA'ed unit. They said no because my router would not be replaced but repaired and returned. I had RMA a ROG GT5300 several years ago and they did the advanced shipping on that one. Very disappointing since that means being without a network for maybe two weeks or having to dig out an old router that was retired because it was acting up.

This, and the slowing down of updates, makes me wonder if the AX98X is still being produced. I think when buying a $400-$450 router, it is not unreasonable to expect a higher level of support. Most home users don't have spare routers laying around or can afford to wait for them to get , fix and return it. Never mind the slowdown of updates after just two years of being released.

I use AiMesh so it would be hard to switch from Asus but I might anyhow. I think buying more expensive equipment should not only get you better hardware, but also better support.
ASUS support tends to be pants frankly.. And yeah I'm guessing they aren't producing them in quantity anymore. I'm guessing they are focusing on their new gems(especially the ones with merlin support) since I bet those sell much better tbh..

ASUS support tends to be pants frankly.. And yeah I'm guessing they aren't producing them in quantity anymore. I'm guessing they are focusing on their new gems(especially the ones with merlin support) since I bet those sell much better tbh..
If that is the case, at least offer some type of in-store credit so I can get something that they do want to support. I mean when Wifi 7 hits and the current gems are no longer gems, will they support these? If it was a $75 router, OK. But if it is $400 and they just kill off support after two years, that's a ripoff....

If that is the case, at least offer some type of in-store credit so I can get something that they do want to support. I mean when Wifi 7 hits and the current gems are no longer gems, will they support these? If it was a $75 router, OK. But if it is $400 and they just kill off support after two years, that's a ripoff....
I had it happen on a few bits of technology. Worst was a Samsung Galaxy Nexus Verizon version. It was buggy as hell.. so bad that if you walked out of wifi range it would reboot and ingot flammed to hell toms hardware back then.. few months later Google dropped support completely for it and stopped releasing updates or patches. Was a nightmare owning a phone like that when I was only 20 and couldn't afford to get anything else..

If you're under 50, this might make no sense, but I'm the guy that went all in on the TI 99/4A instead of the Commodore 64 so trust me, I know this road well. But this router is still under warranty & still being sold. To me anyhow, a warranty for a router without the option for advance replacement is worthless. If you're buying a $400 router, you're a pretty serious user. Going without a router for a week or two isn't going to work!

If you're buying a $400 router, you're a pretty serious user. Going without a router for a week or two isn't going to work!

Perhaps, but if it's a $400+ residential AIO wireless router, you may just be a poor consumer. I think you will enjoy longer support without sacrificing usability by buying middle of the road/mainstream/volume consumer models... that's been my experience. If you must buy higher, I would expect to fall farther... a few extra hundred upfront is not going to improve the net experience with this class of equipment, imo.

And now a days, I would hold a spare/retired router to minimize down time since so much may depend on the network, just like for a business.

OE

Last edited:
Perhaps, but if it's a $400+ residential AIO wireless router, you may just be a poor consumer. I think you will enjoy longer support without sacrificing usability by buying middle of the road/mainstream/volume consumer models... that's been my experience. If you must buy higher, I would expect to fall farther... a few extra hundred upfront is not going to improve the net experience with this class of equipment, imo.

And now a days, I would hold a spare/retired router to minimize down time since so much may depend on the network, just like for a business.

OE
The middle of the road doesn't have dual 10 gigabit to allow for wan/lan (at least that I've seen). To my knowledge, this is one of the only "consumer" routers on the market that offer that. It is not too much to ask for them to do the advanced replacement if you are willing to put a credit card hold on. That is just bad customer support. The thing that makes this router bad is its software that isn't updated very often and when it is it's the same old Asus that doesn't update their packages and such. That is why people gravitate towards merlin's software which actually gives you more control over the router, gives a much better user experience, and also just in general is more up-to-date. I still have an issue where I can't route internally to IPs internally that have my wan's IP when their protection crap is enabled. Just stalls all connections and they claim it's a "processor" problem..

The middle of the road doesn't have dual 10 gigabit to allow for wan/lan (at least that I've seen). To my knowledge, this is one of the only "consumer" routers on the market that offer that.

True. But dual 10G on a consumer AIO wireless router is sort of stretching the mould a bit... is the rest of a 10G product service model there to stand behind it? Apparently not... it's still consumer grade. Which is why I suggest, buy 'mainstream'... when in a bar, order bar food. Otherwise, take your chances... I order a sandwich and a beer! :)

OE

This, and the slowing down of updates, makes me wonder if the AX98X is still being produced.
This just dropped yesterday fyi.

Version 3.0.0.4.386.47468
2022/10/18 57.16 MBytes
ASUS RT-AX89X Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.47468
1. Improved system stability.
2. Fixed connection issues with 64 bits WPA key.
3. Improved AiMesh stability.
4. Improved AiProtection performance.
5. Fixed Samba, busybox, httpd related vulnerabilities.
6. Upgraded Strongswan to 5.9.6.
7. Upgraded OpenVPN to 2.4.12.
8. Fixed PPPoE acceleration issues.
9. Fixed config file download issue with Firefox.
10. Fixed IPv6 related issues.

This just dropped yesterday fyi.

Version 3.0.0.4.386.47468
2022/10/18 57.16 MBytes
ASUS RT-AX89X Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.47468
1. Improved system stability.
2. Fixed connection issues with 64 bits WPA key.
3. Improved AiMesh stability.
4. Improved AiProtection performance.
5. Fixed Samba, busybox, httpd related vulnerabilities.
6. Upgraded Strongswan to 5.9.6.
7. Upgraded OpenVPN to 2.4.12.
8. Fixed PPPoE acceleration issues.
9. Fixed config file download issue with Firefox.
10. Fixed IPv6 related issues.

Thanks! I've installed it. Now it is just a matter of tracking unexpected reboots. But at least they are still putting out updates

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!