What's new

AXE11000: Slow uploads on wired connections but not wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ubiquity42

New Around Here
I have Verizon 5G Home service with an AXE11000. I get 1.5-1.8gbit downloads on wired connections and 1.1-1.4gbit downloads on Wifi6 connections.

However, my uploads are really slow on the wired connections only.

The Verizon speedtest on the 5G receiver shows the 5G link being capable of 2.8gbit down/550mbit up to the tower. I get about 400-500mbit up testing on Wifi6 devices.

On my desktop, testing with Fast.com and Speedtest, I get around 60-120mbit up. On my NAS testing with a Speedtest Docker image, 60mbit up.

The AXE11000 connects to a 10Gb switch via bonded gigabit links. The switch connects to my NAS (10Gb) and desktop (2.5Gb) and several other devices.

I'm using the latest Merlin 388.1 firmware. Just did a factory reset and only set up the Wifi networks and bonded the ethernet ports. No other changes.

Anybody have any idea what would be causing this?

Welcome to the forums @ubiquity42.

Try testing without all those switches and bonded links between the client device and the ISP.

It may be a cable/connector issue happening here. Or an incompatibility between your many network pieces. Or a mis-setup between that equipment too.

Find a setup where the network performs as expected, then change as little as possible to narrow down which additional device is messing it up.

Well, when I directly connect my desktop to a 1G port on the router the problem goes away. Disabling link aggregation between the router and switch does not resolve the problem, nor does using any of the other ports.

I searched around a bit and found people on the Netgear forums that reported the exact same problem and they went through the much more elaborate troubleshooting of replacing their switches with non-Netgear switches and all of their cabling and the issue persisted. They also used Asus routers.

So, I don't know what is to blame.

If the 1GbE Port on the router works with the same testing client device, it isn't the router.

You can try powering off all networking devices, and unplugging all power supplies (and also from the AC wall plugs too). Disconnect all LAN/WAN cables. Leave the network down for an hour or more. This may drain/resolve any power differences between devices, cables, and client devices. (Or, it may not work for this particular case too).

Then, power things up in order. Router, one network switch, one computer, and test. Continue until the issue appears. Come back with what you did and any other details that may be pertinent.

If your switches are 'smart', try fully resetting them before doing the above. Get everything back to a good/known state and proceed slowly while keeping excellent notes on your changes.

There is no blame here. Computers, switches, other hardware and client computers do what they're programmed to do. Sometimes though, they need a useful nudge to do so.

I would even be flipping the Ethernet cables end to end if you can (or, at least testing with a new one just laid out in the home, temporarily).

But whatever you do, first make a note of it, then do it. This is how you'll track down the actual issue.

It may also help us and you if you could make a detailed diagram of your network and it's layout too.

With the help of someone on another forum, I've found that the issue seems to be one in which the switch buffers fill up specifically when going from a multi-gig port to a 1G port. The solution is to buy a $700 switch that has configurable buffers. So yeh, I guess I'm stuck without a significant investment in new equipment.

Much better.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    28.4 KB · Views: 47

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!