What's new

Backup Config / Push updates by command line

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jman

New Around Here
Hello All - New to the Forum, ASUSWRT-Merlin user for a few years now, big fan.
Trying to simplify my life managing the house network with some automation.
My Gear: AX88U primary/(2)AC68U's as AP's, all connected by ethernet. Just updated to latest 386.1 firmware :-D Supported also by Pihole.

Is there a way to backup a router's config and update firmware by command line? I'm open to using ssh, pulling the file from a USB stick, etc. I've toyed with the router command line a little but does not seem to have the commands available to do this. Happy to figure out a shell script if I know the 'backup' and 'firmware update' commands. Is this doable? What am I missing?
I'd love to deploy updates overnight so I minimize effort on my part and downtime for the family all working from home.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts/advice.

Jman

After much searching I found an answer. Not what I wanted to hear but understandable for auto updates. I totally get that.

My kind request still stands, as I'd like to be able to periodically pull a settings backup automatically. I have 3 routers (1 main (AX88), 2 AP's (AC68u)), and anything that makes life easier while balancing safety of a not-crashed network

Great forum! Jman

To automatically dump my configuration settings once a week I've added this line to my /jffs/scripts/services-start script.
Code:
/usr/sbin/cru a NVRAM "00 7 * * 0 nvram save /jffs/nvram.cfg"
If you have an attached USB drive you could dump it there instead of /jffs.