What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.7.2 -Apr 1, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've just run the command again and it work's now (it takes me to the same place I would be if using amtm):
View attachment 57493
Goes to show... you don't need AMTM to run scripts. It's there for convenience for those who don't know how to use the command line. Once you have TTY access, the command line is yours to manipulate as you please!

I've run the update and now I'm seeing this. Has something gone wrong?
Just FYI... I keep all the latest release notes on page 1 of this post... so in case you have questions what changes from version to version, it's all right there for anyone to dive into! :) But yes, a visual UI overhaul happened between this and the last version! Enjoy the new swank!

Small bugfix release dealing with unsent emails... ENJOY!

What's new?
v1.7.2 - (April 1, 2024)

- PATCH: Fixed a small issue where BACKUPMON was creating success/failure emails in the /tmp/var/tmp folder and was not deleting these tmp email files if you opted not to receive success or failure emails. Thanks to the keen eye of @ExtremeFiretop watching his precious disk space slowly but surely getting eaten up with unsent emails that weren't deleting, this has now been patched! Also, huge props to him for testing out the fix in record time!

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/BACKUPMON):

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

1712009621882.png

I love this, I'm sorry for the noob question but I'm replacing my current GT-AX11000 with the same model and it will have the same firmware version.

I'm wondering if it's possible or recommend to use this to backup my current router and restore onto the new one? Or is that a bad idea?

I love this, I'm sorry for the noob question but I'm replacing my current GT-AX11000 with the same model and it will have the same firmware version.

I'm wondering if it's possible or recommend to use this to backup my current router and restore onto the new one? Or is that a bad idea?

Why are you replacing your current router with the same thing? Is your current router faulty?

Even if it's the same model and firmware version it's generally not advisable to restore settings from another router because things like the PIN number printed on the router will no longer match. If your old router is still working and you intend to use it on the same network together with your new router that can also cause problems if you've transferred the old config file.

Last edited:
Why are you replacing your current router with the same thing? Is your current router faulty?

Even if it's the same model and firmware version it's generally not advisable to restore settings from another router because things like the PIN number printed on the router will no longer match. If your old router is still working and you intend to use it on the same network together with your new router that can also cause problems if you've transferred the old config file.
Well the original was hit close enough to a lightning strike to kill the WAN port and cause other odd issues.

That's what I thought might be the case thank you for the response, I'll back up the jffs scripts and such and start everything else over. It's for the best.

@Viktor Jaep designed BACKUPMON to restore to same model and firmware version.

Install the scripts fresh too if you want a reliable network.

@Viktor Jaep designed BACKUPMON to restore to same model and firmware version.
No, it was primarily designed to restore to the same router and firmware version. It can also be used to move the contents of a USB drive, e.g. Entware installations. Yes, you could also load an nvram cfg file onto a different router but I don't believe that was the intended purpose of the script as that's generally a bad idea.

Last edited:
Restoring a config from one router to another same model/FW level router to me would seem like fairly low risk. One thing that may cause issues if this same model does have a slightly different hardware revision. RMerlin does have some advice to add about that here... Still... if my GT-AX6000 died and I replaced it with another GT-AX6000, I would probably use BACKUPMON to restore a previous config from the old router. I don't use the Asus DDNS service, don't care about secret PINs, and I would take the chance with the HW revision. If it doesn't work out, then yeah... factory reset. 👍

Those aren't the only reasons RMerlin has stated that you shouldn't use an old backup config file from one router to another. This is something to never do if you want a stable and reliable network.

Those aren't the only reasons RMerlin has stated that you shouldn't use an old backup config file from one router to another. This is something to never do if you want a stable and reliable network.
Meh... "stable and reliable network" = optional. Good thing we're a forum of experimenters and tinkerers, and can figure out what works or doesn't work, and know how to get back to stable if needed. ;)

As the goal of RMerlin firmware is to provide fixes and improvements over stock firmware, stability and reliability are the main reasons my customers agree to have it installed.

As a dev/scriptwriter, YMMV. ;)

Restoring a config from one router to another same model/FW level router to me would seem like fairly low risk. One thing that may cause issues if this same model does have a slightly different hardware revision. RMerlin does have some advice to add about that here... Still... if my GT-AX6000 died and I replaced it with another GT-AX6000, I would probably use BACKUPMON to restore a previous config from the old router. I don't use the Asus DDNS service, don't care about secret PINs, and I would take the chance with the HW revision. If it doesn't work out, then yeah... factory reset. 👍
Having wasted a fair amount of time on more than one occasion diagnosing problems that were ultimately caused people importing settings from one router to another (of the same model) I'd rather this practice wasn't encouraged. Sure, for most people it's probably going to be OK. For the rest, they're just going to come here and needlessly waste our time again.

NVRAM stores a lot more than just the customised settings that can be changed in asuswrt. There is definitely MAC addresses for the interfaces stored there for a start, but there are other low-level settings in there that likely push the WiFi radio out of specs on the wrong hardware. I certainly wouldn't want to copy router to router for just that reason. BACKUPMON stores the NVRAM in clear text, so take a look at what else is in there.
Having the WiFi MAC addresses in there actually saved me on one occasion. I wouldn't recommend moving those low-level settings between routers, same hardware version or not.

NVRAM stores a lot more than just the customised settings that can be changed in asuswrt. There is definitely MAC addresses for the interfaces stored there for a start, but there are other low-level settings in there that likely push the WiFi radio out of specs on the wrong hardware. I certainly wouldn't want to copy router to router for just that reason. BACKUPMON stores the NVRAM in clear text, so take a look at what else is in there.
Having the WiFi MAC addresses in there actually saved me on one occasion. I wouldn't recommend moving those low-level settings between routers, same hardware version or not.
I always thought MAC addresses were hardcoded in the nic hardware. So assuming the correct info will get overwritten into NVRAM after the fact anyways?

I always thought MAC addresses were hardcoded in the nic hardware. So assuming the correct info will get overwritten into NVRAM after the fact anyways?
Nope. Take a look at the NVRAM.txt file.
I messed my wifi up so much on one occasion the radios stopped working with mac of 00:00:00:00:00:00 (you may remember me posting about this during development).
Reset didn't fix. Flashing firmware didn't fix. BACKUPMON - no problem.
Some peeps don't realise how powerful this script actually is.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!