What's new

Bad 5Ghz, what tweaks do you have to boost 5Ghz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have this settings only 40mhz channel 44 and tx power set to 90

The best thing you can do is use the higher channels they have more power output then the lower ones. Not sure if these channels are available outside the US so it may depend on what region your located in.

The best thing you can do is use the higher channels they have more power output then the lower ones. Not sure if theses channels are available outside the US so it may depend on what region your located in.

48 is the highest I can use, why that? Sweden

Yes as stated i wasn't sure were you were located. I use channel 161 at 80 MHZ with the power slid to 100%.

How can I enable channel 161 in sweden? I can't see 80 MHZ either!

Last edited:
How can I enable channel 161 in sweden? I can't see 80 MHZ either!

Not sure if you can get channel 161 in your region maybe someone else can answer that. As far as 80 MHZ you are using the N66 that is not a AC router so your only going to get up to 40 MHZ thats as far as a N router will go.

The best thing you can do is use the higher channels they have more power output then the lower ones. Not sure if these channels are available outside the US so it may depend on what region your located in.

N66u/AC66u transmit at the higher power levels on the lower channels. (thanks Asus!)

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...s/32431-is-your-routers-transmit-power-juiced

And since it takes less power to transmit at a lower frequency, you're better off on the lower channels. The FCC raised the limit on the lower channels so they're all the same now in North America. Also, higher frequencies can't burn through objects as well, so if your client device sucks at transmitting to begin with, higher frequencies will only hurt it more.

I always take wireless theory with a grain of salt. Open up WiFi Analyzer on android, or inSSIDer on a PC, go to the location with the worst reception, and start going through the channels and measuring your signal strength.

For what it's worth, Sweden allows 36-48 @ 200mW internal antenna only, 52-64 may use external antenna, 100+ requires DFS/TPC (ie. aren't allowed.)

Last edited:
N66u/AC66u transmit at the higher power levels on the lower channels. (thanks Asus!)

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...s/32431-is-your-routers-transmit-power-juiced

And since it takes less power to transmit at a lower frequency, you're better off on the lower channels. The FCC raised the limit on the lower channels so they're all the same now in North America. Also, higher frequencies can't burn through objects as well, so if your client device sucks at transmitting to begin with, higher frequencies will only hurt it more.

I always take wireless theory with a grain of salt. Open up WiFi Analyzer on android, or inSSIDer on a PC, go to the location with the worst reception, and start going through the channels and measuring your signal strength.

For what it's worth, Sweden allows 36-48 @ 200mW internal antenna only, 52-64 may use external antenna, 100+ requires DFS/TPC (ie. aren't allowed.)

The new laws on 5 Ghz have not and will not be applied to any routers that were released before the law changed here in the USA. I cant speak for any region other then mine here in the US but for the N66,AC66 and AC68 the higher channels put out more output on the 5 Ghz band bottom line. I have confirmed this several times with testing with many devices.

Definitely the higher channels do better in my real world setup.