What's new

Bandwidth problems on new RT-AX88U Pro router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’m trying to understand what the big problem is. Your screenshot 489/322 WiFi speed test isn’t that far off the mark for WiFi speeds factoring in overhead.

AX can do about double that on a 2 stream client with 80mhz channel. There are many different kinds of wifi so that's a weird generic statement to make.

What do you get when using the default WIFI settings using Dual Band Smart connect? I recommend a factory reset, do a manual configure, assign an SSID and passphrase with 8 to 10 alpha numeric characters (no special characters and no spaces in the SSID or passphrase). Yes, use the Dual Band Smart Connect! Avoid the DFS channels and do not change the professional settings.

How would an SSID or passphrase impact speed? It could prevent something from connecting, but there is no reason it would impact throughput.

iPhone se, Samsung s22, HP Laptop, Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 Pro+ 5G,..

Because of reset, because it was already mentioned above, since there isn't really a solution to my problem 😞

It does look like you've customized a lot so the suggestion to factory reset is valid (use the hard reset procedure for your router, some it is holding the WPS button, others have other methods, you can find them online). Configure just enough to get in and back online, you can use the same SSID and password you use now so you don't have to reconfigure your clients. Then test things with default settings and focus on tweaking one thing at a time. You have tested wired to the router and you can get 500/500 right? If not then we're focusing on the wrong stuff here. Ignore the built in speed test, test from a PC wired to one of the LAN ports.

It is entirely possible they've removed the universal beamforming option from 5ghz on the AX series, that's a technology left over from N wireless and did not work well.

It may impact the speed. If that SSID is used over from an older router with different capabilities, the client device(s) may have made adjustments to those old micro settings (most likely hidden within the driver)

It may impact the speed. If that SSID is used over from an older router with different capabilities, the client device(s) may have made adjustments to those old micro settings (most likely hidden within the driver)

Yeah I know you are a proponent of that idea but I've never ever seen it happen. I've used the same SSID and even the same laptop when moving from G to N to AC over the years and never any issues like that. I suppose it is possible in theory on one particularly poorly designed driver but he's seeing many devices with the same speed.

I only had to see it once to believe it is possible. And since then, I've seen it (and easily fixed it) many times since then.

AX can do about double that on a 2 stream client with 80mhz channel. There are many different kinds of wifi so that's a weird generic statement to make.
I’d like to see link rates too as already mentioned. That screenshot shows channel 36.

I only had to see it once to believe it is possible. And since then, I've seen it (and easily fixed it) many times since then.

But did you first try to just "forget" and re join the SSID? I've seen that fix things rarely (usually only if the AP/Router was changed to a different one) but never have had to change the SSID and/or password.

Yes, one of the first things that was tested. :)

To see if an SSID is an issue, adding a Guest Network (temporarily) is a really quick check.

Yes, one of the first things that was tested. :)

To see if an SSID is an issue, adding a Guest Network (temporarily) is a really quick check.

Alright - not saying it is impossible, just never seen anyone but you mention it :)

He can certainly test with a guest network (preferably 2 or 3 so no routing is involved) but I don't think reconfiguring his 40 wireless devices with a new SSID is the first step.

Nobody said to do that (reconfigure 40 clients). :)

Search the forums. It's here in history.

about 40 wireless devices

This is another possible thing to focus on. A single device with poor signal or older technology (like N) can impact speed for everyone on that radio. I'd try testing with a single newer device (you can temporarily change your SSID so the other devices get disconnected) and see if that changes anything. 40 devices is a lot for a home oriented AP, each device consumes some airtime even when not sending any data and even a device at a low link rate or signal quality will have an impact.

If @TCoreX is patient I’ll tell them how to diagnose the problem and what are the specifics in their region. I own places in both North America and Europe and the approach is very different. @TCoreX router is different to begin with even the same model. I need to get back home.

No, it is not. I'm repeating it, yes. I didn't think of that as a possible solution initially.

I don't think reconfiguring his 40 wireless devices with a new SSID is the first step.

Changing the SSIDs and reconfiguring devices is the worst advice ever. I use the same SSIDs in 3 different residential places and also the same in 4 different business locations. Same devices are often used on a different network with different Wi-Fi equipment. No issues whatsoever. Hopefully @TCoreX didn’t do much damage to his network already.

@TCoreX, hopefully you didn't reset your devices yet. Don't touch the devices.

If you played a lot with your settings - reset the router only and start fresh. Set your usual SSIDs and use your usual password. If a device doesn't connect - re-connect it manually with WPS, Forget Network or whatever is there. This is all you need to do. Make sure your password doesn't have spaces - some Asus routers don't allow that for weird reason. A space is a valid character, but... someone decided otherwise.

Set 2.4GHz this way and test:
Use 20MHz wide channel, set the router on Auto and observe the logs for few days. Lock the channel the router uses more often on Auto - it usually has the higher bandwidth available. Use any channel 1-13 and not 1-6-11 only. Disable all Beamforming, MU-MIMO, Airtime Fairness, non-standard Turbo/NitroQAM Broadcom only specific.

Set 5GHz this way and test:
Channel 100, 80MHz wide, uncheck 160MHz, WPA2, disable all Agile Multiband, PMF, TWT, Airtime Fairness. Channels 36-48 in EU are limited to 200mW transmit power. Most of the guys above have up to 1000mW on 36-48 plus 149-161 available - you don't. Your router is the same model, but with different regional settings, hardcoded, can't change.

Disbalanced up/down rates - check the link speeds in logs. AC best is 866, AX is 1200 at 80MHz wide channel. This translates into about 500 and 800Mbps throughput, close to the router only, no obstructions. Houses in Europe are built differently - one wall may cut off you signal strength with 70%. You also have more reflections and your AP works harder. Faster download than upload happens when the device hears the AP clearly (let's say 200mW radio), but the AP can't hear the device well (usually about 20mW radio). Link rates and signal strength will give you clues. You need -60dBm or better (lower).

Don't test with mobile devices. They all have power saving features and your speed measurements may be inaccurate.

Don't use Wi-Fi Analizer apps not showing bandwidth available. They show only the channels the other radios around are tuned to, but not how active they are. Your best channel may be the one with other APs on it already. Also, the app runs on a client device and the environment is seen from the device's radio - not what your router sees around. The difference may be significant.

MU-MIMO and OFDMA basically do nothing for you. MU-MIMO may cut down the communication to compatible client to single stream. With your 40 devices I'm sure less than 10 support Beamforming, required for MU-MIMO. Enabled or disabled - doesn't matter much.

I'm using 4x APs setup in my 600m2 house in North America and also 4x APs in my 120m2 house in Europe. This much is the difference. The NA APs work on full power and cover big relatively Wi-Fi transparent area. The EU APs work on low power and cover room and a half in almost Wi-Fi blocking environment. You can't take advice from people in different environment and with differently set as per local regulations routers. This is a waste of time and you can reboot and reset forever with no positive effect.

The information provided from you is close to zero. In this case I can only give you suggestions, but you have to understand how whings work first. Otherwise you only follow wild guesses not even related to your setup and only waste your time. Take advice from people in Europe - @ColinTaylor, @BreakingDad, @TheLyppardMan, etc. Due to geopolitical situation you may live in increased radar activity area without knowing and it will also affect your Wi-Fi performance. What you know worked before may not work anymore.

Don't use SmartConnect for better device management. Don't use QoS - you don't need it on 500/500 ISP. Don't reset your router multiple times for no reason - not needed. This forum is 1/3 about Asus router resets and 1/3 about speed tests. Don't copy someone else's settings because it works somewhere else for someone else. Experiment and find your own best settings.

If nothing works - send the sucker back and get local professional advice about the right equipment for your needs.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!