What's new

Bandwidth problems on new RT-AX88U Pro router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

technoman

New Around Here
I installed this RT-AX88U Pro router about a month ago and connected it to my gigabit Internet. I appear to be having some WiFi problems. On a laptop that's on a different level in my home, probably only about 50-60 feet away, it sometimes has problems playing YouTube videos. The same thing happens when I'm using Microsoft Teams. They sound like a bad cell phone signal. It has these problems no matter if I'm connected to the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz network. I've even tried using an old Asus router as a repeater, but that wasn't any better. How do I fix these problems?

Welcome to the forums @technoman.

The following links may be helpful to get your router to a good/known state.

Hello, I am now also the owner of an Asus RT-AX88u PRO and have flashed this cleanly and no matter how and which settings I make, the WLAN sags with me :(. I'll send you the current settings and yes I also used fixed channels, etc. My regular bandwidth via WAN 500/500 Mbits. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

Yes I have tried QOS, also in the switched on, as well as in the switched off, the same with firewall, etc. USB is also not used and scripts are not active :) In between, reboots always took place in order to adjust for various settings. I hope you know more about this and of course the latest firmware of Merlin 388.3 is above.

bandbreite.png

wlan2ghz.png

wlan2ghzprof.png

wlan5ghzprof.png

wlan5ghz.png

Mainly, I'm a bit confused when uploading via WiFi, regardless of whether it's a smartphone, laptop, latest FireTV, iPhone. Everywhere I come to such a upload rate.

Screenshot_2023-06-15-08-27-11-565_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest-edit.jpg

Disable universal beamforming is a start (on both bands). Do you get the full 500 when wired to the router?

Disable universal beamforming is a start (on both bands). Do you get the full 500 when wired to the router?
On 5Ghz I don't have universal beamforming as can be seen in the pictures. Unfortunately, I no longer have a laptop with a LAN connection 😩

Download stays at 500 mbits via WLAN, upload just doesn't want to and where I can find universal beamforming at 5ghz is the other question 😩

Get yourself a USB to Ethernet connector (at least to test with).

I'm unsure of your statement 'I have flashed this cleanly'. Can you elaborate?

Flashing is never 'clean'.

Fully resetting the router after flashing the firmware you want to use, performing a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP (without using any saved backup config files, nor inserting any USB drive which was previously used for scripts/amtm), is what makes for a clean install.

Also note that if you've been toggling options on/off, it is different from leaving the options off in the first place. The above procedure is what will quickly get your router back to a good/known state if you've been doing this.

Before trying the above, try a simple electrical reset. Leave the power button on the router 'on'. Unplug the power cord from both the router and the AC wall plug. Wait for a few minutes and test again.

Finally, you may want to try setting the language of your router to English and reboot. That bug has been seen before.

Get yourself a USB to Ethernet connector (at least to test with).

I'm unsure of your statement 'I have flashed this cleanly'. Can you elaborate?

Flashing is never 'clean'.

Fully resetting the router after flashing the firmware you want to use, performing a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP (without using any saved backup config files, nor inserting any USB drive which was previously used for scripts/amtm), is what makes for a clean install.

Also note that if you've been toggling options on/off, it is different from leaving the options off in the first place. The above procedure is what will quickly get your router back to a good/known state if you've been doing this.

Before trying the above, try a simple electrical reset. Leave the power button on the router 'on'. Unplug the power cord from both the router and the AC wall plug. Wait for a few minutes and test again.

Finally, you may want to try setting the language of your router to English and reboot. That bug has been seen before.
I'm glad you wrote back because you're really known here for solving problems 🙂 yes there had been a factory reset after i flashed, i wanted to say that with clean 😉 As soon as I'm home I'll do the electrical reset and report back 👍 OK, will follow these 2 smaller steps and report back, hopefully with good results 🙂

On 5Ghz I don't have universal beamforming as can be seen in the pictures. Unfortunately, I no longer have a laptop with a LAN connection 😩

Ah for some reason the 5ghz advanced picture wasn't showing when I scrolled through, guess they've removed that option from 5ghz. Disable it on 2.4 just in case it impacts both radios. I can figure most of it out but since I don't speak german not positive on a few of the settings you have.

Also try disabling "agile multiband" on both bands and maybe try without 160mhz channels enabled (sometimes 80mhz performs better if there is interference). Like @L&LD said start with a minimal config and try enabling/changing one thing at a time.

Can also try disabling MU-MIMO, usually it is not an issue but sometimes it causes problems.

@L&LD I did the electrical reset, unfortunately without success and if I subsequently restart the router with the English menu, unfortunately there is still no universal beamforming under 5ghz available. Even the mu-mimo settings, with the 80mhz and individual changes, bring no improvement 😩😩 Is there any universal beamforming below 5ghz with this router? Any other ideas before I have to start all over again? Thank you 🙂

What do you get when using the default WIFI settings using Dual Band Smart connect? I recommend a factory reset, do a manual configure, assign an SSID and passphrase with 8 to 10 alpha numeric characters (no special characters and no spaces in the SSID or passphrase). Yes, use the Dual Band Smart Connect! Avoid the DFS channels and do not change the professional settings.

What do you get when using the default WIFI settings using Dual Band Smart connect? I recommend a factory reset, do a manual configure, assign an SSID and passphrase with 8 to 10 alpha numeric characters (no special characters and no spaces in the SSID or passphrase). Yes, use the Dual Band Smart Connect! Avoid the DFS channels and do not change the professional settings.
I can only look into this starting tomorrow 😩 because about 40 wireless devices have to be set up :/ Factory reset or hard reset?

Why do you want to reset everything? What client do you test your Wi-Fi speed with?

iPhone se, Samsung s22, HP Laptop, Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 Pro+ 5G,..

Because of reset, because it was already mentioned above, since there isn't really a solution to my problem 😞

I asked you to show your link speeds. What’s your problem is unclear yet. Why do you reset everything on a blind before knowing what the problem is?

I’m trying to understand what the big problem is. Your screenshot 489/322 WiFi speed test isn’t that far off the mark for WiFi speeds factoring in overhead.

Stop wasting your time @TCoreX. You’re taking advice from people living in cardboard houses in North America with no clue how Wi-Fi works in Europe.

@L&LD I did the electrical reset, unfortunately without success and if I subsequently restart the router with the English menu, unfortunately there is still no universal beamforming under 5ghz available. Even the mu-mimo settings, with the 80mhz and individual changes, bring no improvement 😩😩 Is there any universal beamforming below 5ghz with this router? Any other ideas before I have to start all over again? Thank you 🙂

The last thing you may try to test quickly is to go to Administration, Privacy, and Withdraw from all permissions you may have given. Note that this may disable some options you've currently set.

Don't pay attention to people that think WiFi works differently in Europe. WiFi works, or it doesn't. In your case, we may still find a way to fix your upload issues. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!