What's new

Battery drain on my Pixel 6 only when connected to RT-AX55 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brunoschcabnc

New Around Here
Since last week, I get battery drain on my Pixel 6 but ONLY when connected to my home WiFi on an Asus RT-AX55 (not over data, not over other WiFi networks at friends or family).
Battery analysis shows that, when connected to my home WiFi, the phone almost never enters Deep sleep mode (AccuBattery) and Battery Historian shows CPU is constantly in Wavelock mode ("mbox dhdpcie_host_wake", whatever it means??).
I tried to change several settings on the router settings, like higher values for Beacon and DTIM intervals, tried to disable all other devices at my home etc etc but still gets the issue, easy to check with AccuBattery deep sleep mode close to 0. Router firmware is up to date but it was back to early November; nothing has changed since then.
Any more ideas? I ran out...

Enable WMM, APSD, and set DTIM to 4 - that's about all you can do for mobiles...

Leave Beacon Intervals at the default (100) or you risk other devices not being able to discover the AP.

Do you have the Asus app on your Pixel 6. I tried everything and in last resort, realized the only link between my Pixel 6 and the router was the app. Noticed Asus app foreground data usage was oddly elevated compared to previous periods + my issues with phone not going to deep sleep started the same date as app last update. Decided to restrict battery usage on the app and since then, issue is gone, phone going to deep sleep for average 85% of the time like before. Don't know if it's only a fluke or what but I'm happy.

dhdpcie_host_wake are always fun to troubleshoot in Android. It is modem related, but it's another beast to find who and why wakes up the modem.
Let's assume you don't have any strange USB or Bluetooth device connected to your phone.

Any new applications that are in love in finding the location? This happens more often than anyone would believe. And FB is "good" at trying to get an accurate location and when it doesn't get enough GPS time will keep trying and wake up the modem to actively use wifi for location. Not a lot of data used for that... Tracing this possibility down requires access to some developer debugging tools and most vendor have it. Of course including Google. There may be out there some open source applications capable of decoding battery stats from a bug report.

If you know exactly when problem started, you can track down in Play Store what new application or update you got just before. If you can do that, you can temporarily disable that app and monitor the situation.

A possible workaround is to forget the SSID and reconfigure it. It may help if you have a fresh GPS lock a short while before you configure the SSID to your phone.

It is not unbelievable to have some settings on the router that are incompatible. But neither the phone nor the router are not new products on the market so it's unlikely for incompatibility to be the reason.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!