What's new

bcm63xx_nand messages - gone after time change

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nephilim

Regular Contributor
Hi,

this is just an observation on my setup and probably of little relevance but I would be interested in your thoughts.

For many months my AC86U (running Merlin's latest stable builds) has been throwing the following message

Code:
bcm63xx_nand ff801800.nand: timeout waiting for command 0x1
bcm63xx_nand ff801800.nand: intfc status f00000e0

I never saw a real pattern but it would typically happen twice per day, always at xx:x5:00 or xx:x0:00.

As everything was running smoothly and no hardware issue was apparent I accepted it. Recently I checked the logs again and could not spot those lines anymore. Right now the uptime is 37 days and there are still some hits in the "dmesg" output but the system log in the web UI is clean. The only thing that has changed is the time change 9 days ago (GMT+2 -> GMT+1).

I know it sounds far-fetched but is it possible these two items are connected?

Cheers,
Torsten

Last edited:
I changed my router's time source twice today, once to time.cloudflare.com and then to time.cloudflare.com:1234. System log shows the same sequence as above each time after I made those changes.

Code:
Oct 30 09:19:28 kernel: bcm63xx_nand ff801800.nand: timeout waiting for command 0x1
Oct 30 09:19:28 kernel: bcm63xx_nand ff801800.nand: intfc status f80000e0

USA leaves daylight saving time soon and I'll watch to see if these log messages disappear once we're on standard time. If so, that would indeed imply a connection.

I changed my router's time source twice today, once to time.cloudflare.com and then to time.cloudflare.com:1234. System log shows the same sequence as above each time after I made those changes.

Code:
Oct 30 09:19:28 kernel: bcm63xx_nand ff801800.nand: timeout waiting for command 0x1
Oct 30 09:19:28 kernel: bcm63xx_nand ff801800.nand: intfc status f80000e0

USA leaves daylight saving time soon and I'll watch to see if these log messages disappear once we're on standard time. If so, that would indeed imply a connection.
These are related to the flash storage, they have nothing to do with the clock.

Ah, so something that's failing to read or write from the flash memory as expected?
It's a timeout issue with the controller, something Asus/Broadcom were looking at a few months ago. You just quoted a post about this from last year.

It's a timeout issue with the controller, something Asus/Broadcom were looking at a few months ago. You just quoted a post about this from last year.

Ah yes, I thought that this post from last year matched my own situation and found no other useful matches from Google. I'll look for another thread, if one's out there.