What's new

Trying to make sense of why router reset to defaults

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. For those that noticed theirs reset to default did you notice anything odd before it happened? I ask that question because I noticed my router going much slower than previously. Surfing the internet or even bringing up the gui would be slow to load. Granted it would load but sometimes not completely.

Edit: When I did get into the router I saw that both CPUs were MAXXED out for example. Wish I had a list of commands I could have ran to see what NVRAM and what was bogging it down then. :oops:

Last edited:
Thanks @RMerlin, I'm leaning towards NVRAM being full. Is there a proper way to alleviate that? Is there a correlation between amount of clients and NVRAM being full?

Edit: Don't think (i hope) its the other issues as I have a battery backup on all my electronics.

>RE: Is there a correlation between amount of clients and NVRAM being full?

While playing with some GUI settings a few months back, I noticed the size of available NVRAM decreasing as the number of DHCP clients assigned with a static IP was increasing. I found out that DHCP static IPs are stored in NVRAM (which is likely the reason that this DHCP Static IP list is limited to a maximum of 128 - plenty, IMO). You can check this with the following command on SSH terminal:

nvram show | grep staticlist

Also, there are several "clientlist" settings stored in NVRAM. The "custom client list" is the most populated in my case (perhaps in most cases):

nvram show | grep clientlist

So, I'd say there's definitely a correlation between the number of clients/devices connected to your router (at one time or another) and NVRAM usage.

>RE: Is there a correlation between amount of clients and NVRAM being full?

While playing with some GUI settings a few months back, I noticed the size of available NVRAM decreasing as the number of DHCP clients assigned with a static IP was increasing. I found out that DHCP static IPs are stored in NVRAM (which is likely the reason that this DHCP Static IP list is limited to a maximum of 128 - plenty, IMO). You can check this with the following command on SSH terminal:

nvram show | grep staticlist

Also, there are several "clientlist" settings stored in NVRAM. The "custom client list" is the most populated in my case (perhaps in most cases):

nvram show | grep clientlist

So, I'd say there's definitely a correlation between the number of clients/devices connected to your router (at one time or another) and NVRAM usage.
Thanks! Is there a way to bypass the NVRAM for those static devices. I assume putting the static on the device itself is one way but I thought I read somewhere that someone used the custom client list that you were referring to for that. I may be wrong though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!