What's new

Because typing WPA keys on a smartphone usually sucks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Finally had some time to go back to this old TODO entry, now that I've found a decent generator library to use.

1621106260725.png

qrcode1.png

This is convenient only if generated QR code can be saved as picture, printed and attached next to the router. This is how my guest network works.

This is convenient only if generated QR code can be saved as picture, printed and attached next to the router. This is how my guest network works.
It's an image, so you can right-click on it, and save it to a file.

I have been using QR code for many years ( https://qifi.org/ ), thank you, I can experience it in Merlin.

By the way, is it possible to consider designing a login-free page to show the PUBLIC QR code, so that I can quickly visit a web page to show the QR code to my friends.

like this: https://192.168.50.1/qr or http://myqr

This may have security issues, so there should be an option when creating a public QR code for each WIFI.

Last edited:
By the way, is it possible to consider designing a login-free page to show the PUBLIC QR code, so that I can quickly visit a web page to show the QR code to my friends.
Potential security nightmare, as it would allow anyone to retrieve your WPA PSK.

This may have security issues, so there should be an option when creating a public QR code for each WIFI.
Not all QR codes, only the SSID with "Public QR code" turned on. Of course this may require more work. In addition, if someone use wifi to join the network, it means that one device already knows the password, doesn't it?

Or, we can use the WPS button to temporarily turn on a guest WIFI without a password, and then use the captive portal to display the QR CODE of another guest WIFI. When connected, the temporary guest WIFI will be closed. But I think that turning off the temporary guest WIFI requires restarting the radio, which may cause problems.

Or Using GET, this can be verified in the URL so that I save the QR code as a bookmark and show it at any time.
Like this https://192.168.50.1/qr?v=notwifipassword

Last edited:
Hello
Very good idea, qr code can also be useful for exporting ipsec vpn credentials, or ssh credentials, same as the wiregard export configuration system.

I print the QR code with the SSID and password for my guest network on Post-It notes and put them in a couple of places around the house. Most apps I've tried on Android will offer to automatically connect to the network when the QR code is scanned.

rough guesstimate when might we be able to start using it?
I have no timetable for 386.3 at the moment, waiting for the next GPL to be available, and that GPL release just got relayed due to issues.

Cute idea. Though I just use the features built into the phone to get other users online.

I did that a long time ago but for the guest network. The image of the QR code, I took it from the Asus router mobile app, printed it and pasted it on a magnet.

IMG_20210517_045001.jpg

Cute idea. Though I just use the features built into the phone to get other users online.
Using a QR code makes it far easier to have truly secure passwords. When I'm forced to type out the password on every device that connects I will tend to pick shorter passwords, but when I can connect by QR code I have no fear of using a password like QRjvQN9bxrPKwYmQ9u0L

I used to say "the future is mobile," but it seems that time is now and possibly has been for a while; it will be interesting to watch laptoppers connecting. (will they request ethernet?)

but when I can connect by QR code I have no fear of using a password like QRjvQN9bxrPKwYmQ9u0L

Until a guest comes with a laptop, he will hate you. I have the QR available, but the password is in human language. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!