What's new

Best Asus - Merlin Supported - VPN Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CDB1870

New Around Here
Hi,

I am still a router novice and looking for some advice about what router to buy. My requirements are:
  • Asus brand and has Merlin Firmware support
  • Support at least 80 Mbps when connected to OpenVPN
  • Most up to date - does this mean the AX range?
  • Price is not necessarily a deciding factor
  • Lets me use my AC-88U as an Access Point with or without AIMesh
Apologies if duplicated but I could not find a similar thread.
Many thanks

RT-AX86U, RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U are all good options, as they have hardware-accelerated AES support.

Based on availability, due to the shortage of chips, a RT-AC86U (which is the oldest in the range @RMerlin suggested, might be your best bet. I'm using it for a few months now and I love it. I see no need to upgrade to an AX model for the foreseeable future. I get speeds of >300Mbit easily (which is the max of my subscription) and VPN speeds upto 150Mbit, which is nearly threefold the speed compared to my previous RT-AC68U router, which now servers as an AIMesh Node with ethernet backhaul.

From what I have read, the RT-AX68U is not an option if the RT-AX58U is available. Too many tradeoffs on the supposedly 'better' ('AX68U) model and seems to be even more expensive too.

RT-AX86U, RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U are all good options, as they have hardware-accelerated AES support.

Doesn’t AX11000 have AES-NI too?

@Marin, yes. And with the dubious benefits and all of the downfalls of the 'tri-radio' marketing that entails.

From what I have read, the RT-AX68U is not an option if the RT-AX58U is available
The RT-AX68U has AES acceleration, but the RT-AX58U doesn`t. So for his specific needs, the RT-AX58U is not an option.

I didn't recommend the RT-AX68U because I couldn't remember what CPU it had, or what its availability was. Been working on too many different models lately... I worked on another (still unreleased) model last week, so I'm having a hard time keeping them all separated in my brain at the moment.

I would wait until it becomes available. Router upgrade is rarely urgent.
It's kind of urgent, as I need a router at the new apartment as soon as possible, and the current one is still at my current place for the next month

The GT-AX11000 is nearly 40% more expensive than the RT-AX88U here at Amazon Canada (about 200$ CAD more).

Here
The AX88U was both available and "on sale" last week for $290. If you need something right away then this was the time to pull the trigger in today's market IMO.

While I detest BestBuy it looks as though they still have it for $300. I've been very pleased with the AX88U.

The GT-AX11000 is nearly 40% more expensive than the RT-AX88U here at Amazon Canada (about 200$ CAD more).
Here, AX88U is 400$ and AX11000 is 479$. I don't mind the extra 79$ if AX11000 is better and more future proof.

Thanks all. I went with the AX88U and I am running 386.2_2. When I run the VPN Client - OpenVPN I see my download speed drops by an average of 13% and upload speed drops by an average of 8%. I am happy with the performance but are my numbers 'normal'?