What's new

Best ASUS Router options for MESH network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

floored

New Around Here
Hi All, I"m new to the forum.
I'm looking for suggestions on what ASUS MESH Router I should purchase. I live on a small hobby farm and want to extend my wireless network out to the barn and thought that MESH has evolved enough now so, I'm looking to replace my current RT-AC68U with something more powerful to extend the network to the barn and beyond if possible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

How far away is the barn, and what is its construction?

I'm running high-gain directional antennas on a pair of RT68s to connect building 150’ apart with 200Mbps / -52dBm on 5GHz. No mesh, set up as router and repeater.

I don't know how far the buildings are, but I would start from 2x RT-AX86S up depending on the budget. Ethernet backhaul is best, if possible.

Depending on what you want the wifi for in the barn, your build may vary. Most reliable solution is to run a LAN cable if possible.

Close enough - Aimesh. Too far, see below.

I have this build, it works, though very suboptimal given encumbrances of where I was able to put the router and antenna. That said, it is mess, but works.

--A--LAN--B ))) air link ((( C--LAN--D ))) wifi to barn.

Where
A = Your main router
B = router in access point mode with 3 directional antenna (https://www.alfa.com.tw/products/apa-m25?variant=36473963839560)*
C = router in media bridge mode with 3 directional antenna
D = router in access point mode in the barn

- you may plug a LAN cable into either C or D for a 'wired' connection.

(My routers B are inside behind a wall and C inside behind a window. I did leave my router B outside for a Canadian winter, it survived and still works - moved into a heated space now)

Of note, they antenna need to be aimed towards each other. Perhaps more important, manually check each channel to see which will provide the best speed. I recently read that, and did that, my speeds are 2x what they were.

Depending on distance 2.4 GHz may give you a more reliable, if slower, connection. Try both frequencies.

Rethinking my air link, will post if the next iteration works.

Limitations: more than listed here.
- With this setup, Aimesh will not work to barn.
- Guest network will not extend to barn.
- Guest network setup on D will not isolate that traffic from your home network.

Good luck, fun sounding project.

*No conflict of interest, used these, they worked. Tried other, they didn't.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!