What's new

Best AX86U firmware (no issues)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Guest Network 1 quirks mentioned in multiple threads on SNB are easy to replicate, actually. Since I only play with the routers, a long list of Asuswrt issues were discovered. When I find something odd I search SNB and bam - there is a thread about it, one or many. If you guys never had any issues, even on alpha/beta releases, you perhaps never tested anything in-depth or never used specific Asuswrt features.

Like most users, I'm not testing the firmware, just using it... and I have posted about guest1 quirks.

OE

Okay, here is a quite possible use scenario issue I'm trying to solve - have any of you tried connecting a wireless multifunctional printer to an AiMesh node and scan to wirelessly connected to the router PC? The printer sees PC's host names only when connected to the router. If connected to the node, the list of Scan-to-File target devices is empty. The idea to test this scenario came from another user. I've tried with 2x different printers - the same result. AiMesh with AC68U and AC1900P on the same firmware - the same result. AiMesh with AC86U and AC1900P - the same result. Unfortunately, the available AX88U has broken 2.4GHz radio (I need a donor board for this one), otherwise I would try AiMesh with AX88U and AX58U.

Okay, here is a quite possible use scenario issue I'm trying to solve - have any of you tried connecting a wireless multifunctional printer to an AiMesh node and scan to wirelessly connected to the router PC? The printer sees PC's host names only when connected to the router. If connected to the node, the list of Scan-to-File target devices is empty. The idea to test this scenario came from another user. I've tried with 2x different printers - the same result. AiMesh with AC68U and AC1900P on the same firmware - the same result. AiMesh with AC86U and AC1900P - the same result. Unfortunately, the available AX88U has broken 2.4GHz radio (I need a donor board for this one), otherwise I would try AiMesh with AX88U and AX58U.

I have not tried that. Sometimes a static IP on the printer can help its driver find it... set IP, install driver, then try it.

OE

The IP is static, set on the printer. It's also reserved in router's DHCP. I only bind the printers to router and node in GUI. Works only if the printers are connected to the router. I've spend more time in reboots and resets than AiMesh was up. I also have one Orbi RBK50 kit. This one works, but the test required hard physical labor - no way to select where the devices connects and I had to walk quite a distance few times. :)

That may be true; I may not use all the Asus features, on my network. But my customers do. They don't have issues either with GN1, after a proper installation (and sometimes, a re-installation), that duplicates what I have on my network too.

New SSIDs, a network reboot/power off, new (non-Auto) Control Channels, reflashing the firmware, fully resetting the network, or all of the above, eventually got GN1 working as expected.

The customers that need AiMesh in their homes, also need GN1 (to propagate to the wired/wireless nodes too). If GN1 didn't work, I would have installed many fewer routers this past year (I'm 'new' to AiMesh too).

As I said, I can replicate most of GN1 issues mentioned by many folks in many threads here on SNB using freshly installed AiMesh system. Let's not go again with the many customers story, please. ;)

I have always used stock Asus firmware for all my routers. I like having Merlin available but I don't need any extra features other than what stock offers. It's a matter of keeping things simple and easy. I don't want to deal with the hassle of flashing and re-flashing third party firmware or going back and forth between stock and third party. I don't want the possibility of any leftover settings or remnants effecting the next firmware flash.

When I set up my new routers I update the stock firmware immediately, reboot and then configure the settings which except for a few changes are very close to the default. I have never done a hard or soft reset of any of my AX86s. Some of my AX86Us have auto firmware update enabled. I do sometimes reboot the routers after a manual firmware update but not always. Either way I have had zero issues with stock firmware. All of the routers have run perfectly 24/7.

Yep, I don't have the patience for 3rd party stuff in my older IT age. I just want my shirt at home to work