What's new

"Best" new router that supports Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The expression on your avatar says - okay... hmm... whatever... The moment you realized how ugly this thing is. :D
LOL I personally really don't give a @$*!$ what it looks like when it's sitting in a dark closet on top of my rack as long as it's doing what it was designed to do... ;)

Thanks everyone for the help!

It looks like I have $250 in gift cards for BestBuy to help knock the price down, so before taxes I'm looking at $149 for the GT-AX6000. Sound like a good deal? I've had this RT-AC68U now for going on 9 years, so it kinda shows that I don't like updating routers all that often. lol
Personally, I would probably wait until closer to the xmas season... you might see some more savings around that time. $399USD is too much. It has shown to be at least $100 cheaper when it goes on sale.

Which store did you buy it from at that price?
I purchased the GT-AX6000 from Newegg at $272 just last Friday... ;)

Right now it's at $329... not a bad deal at all compared to many other vendors who are listing it around $399.

Which store did you buy it from at that price?
It was at $310 just a few days ago on Amazon. Wait for the price to come down and then have Best Buy price match Amazon so you can use your BB reward points. That's how I bought mine; I had about $295 in rewards and had them price match at Amazon's price of $325 which is what it was at the time of my purchase.

If you don't have to have it now, wait for the price to come down.

Either 128K or 192K (I don't remember which models got upgraded to 192K a few weeks ago beside the GT-AXE16000).

Mine is 192K. I upgraded from AC86U to the GT-AX6000 a week ago, first impression was it's a lot bigger. Other than that very happy with it. Only upgraded as I wanted 388...for no specific reason :rolleyes::D

Coming from an rt ac5300 what would you advice me?

I have no fear for missing out, but to play along I can upgrade to an AX router and not only watching this forum but also play with it. When the support timeline is approx. 5-7 years, (according to Merlin’s post). The AX86U (non-Pro) is 2+ years old with BCM4908. The GT-AX6000 is newer with the BCM4912. The AX86 Pro will have the same BCM4912 as the GT-AX6000. ( With some small enhancements ) So, to be future proof at the time I bought my AC-86U, there is no new router (chip) from Asus bringing the huge leap coming from a AC68 to a AC86 with VPN’s working EAS, rather then the BCM4912 with 200 MHz more and some small enhancements. Right?

When the support timeline is approx. 5-7 years, (according to Merlin’s post)
Note that if I said that, it was just an observation based on Asus' previous support. They never publicly announced any official support timeframe.

Note that if I said that, it was just an observation based on Asus' previous support. They never publicly announced any official support timeframe.
Point taken. I was more aiming on today’s BCM chips for more power when running VPN’s EAS and still playing/working with your great FW. Just trying to find a reason to upgrade where no features will come to our AC86U anymore.

RT-AC68U and variants was a unique case for exceptionally long firmware support. Newer models won't get this including current RT-AX86 series.

Your reasons to upgrade is bad AC86U reliability history and unresolved bug in firmware. If it doesn't give you issues though - an excellent performer.

I would get GT-AX11000 Pro. Newer hardware, tri-radio for your wireless AiMesh, all bands useable today, longer expected support.
IDK... it still kinda looks like it might Hug-A-Face, LOL

@laracroftonline has a face hugger already. She overcome the associated with it nightmares, I guess. The new face hugger is the closest replacement. Another tri-radio option is ZenWiFi series, but way overpriced for what they are. And no RGB - very important in home routers. :)

This is a killer router. If you trip and fall on top of this one - dead instantly. No firmware updates needed - it has great stab-ility already.

1670007866514.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!