What's new

"Best" new router that supports Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vistortgw said:

This is incorrect. The 2.5 Gbps WAN port in conjunction with 2.5 Gbps modem port will show marked improvement in actual WAN speeds. I only saw 400-500 Mbps download speeds with RT-AX88U and a 1 Gbps down/35 Mbps upload ISP connection. Immediately after upgrading to GT-AX6000 (ISP provided modem already had 2.5 Gbps port), I routinely started seeing ~1100+ Mbps download speeds.

I have found through the years that quality hardware does make a difference. I have CL dsl and found that their modems/routers really are run of the mill quality. When I switched to Draytek, these products not only performed reliably but I also obtained higher download and upload speeds. When you connect to the 2.5gb ports, you are allowing the advertised bandwidth from your internet service to reach it rated potential. I have used Cake QOS and no QOS and have not seen a change in the down and up transmission, only consistent managing of traffic through the system. Did I see an improvement when I upgraded to the GT-AX6000 from the RT-AX6000, no. I didn`t expect any. Only change I expected was to bring my setup all up to wifi 6 capabilities.

So, what have we learned here. You're not going to get anymore throughput just because you connected 2.5gb to 2.5gb. If your hardware provided by your internet is quality and both pieces of hardware support higher bandwidths, then seeing higher throughput is a realistic possibility.

Cable ISPs usually overprovision the lines. The extra speed is not guaranteed though.

I understand, but this forum is not about NY state or US only. In Ontario the main Cable ISP is Rogers and the lines are overprovisioned. All 3rd party resellers though using the same infrastructure are capped to exact speeds up/down. What you have there is local for you.

Seems like his AX88U had something messed up via hardware/software and or the modem didn't pair well with it.

I know a lot of people had issues with FIOS modems + the GT-AX6000 and that wasn't fixed until an early December FW release. IE: DL/UP speed being capped significantly lower.

But yeah, the 2.5G port does bump speed (subjectively).. just wasn't sure if his ISP/modem wasn't doing something crazy with the 2.5G port. (I just read he pays for 1gig, so we can ignore that aspect..)

For me, it only bumps the speed around 10mbps (580-590 over provisioned from 500mbps) switching between 1G port limit.

Nothing to really care about, but noticeable.

Last edited:
Asus GT-BE32000 design - leaked picture:

View attachment 45900

It's beautiful. RGB is in the mouth. $1220.
As soon as I saw this, I thought of @Tech9 :p

342040446_1529768094221478_6088094563429000404_n.jpg~2.jpg

Sorry if I am resurrecting an old thread, but have been using this thread as a resource for setting up a router system on a new property. I'm probably going to go with a GT-AX6000 as the main router. Have wired backhaul throughout the property, so I want to have mesh with a router on each floor (three floors total). Is it overkill to have a GT-AX6000 on each floor? If I use GT-AX6000 as the main router, what should I use as the APs?

How many SqFt is your new property? 3x GT-AX6000 routers is almost certainly overkill unless the walls/floors are concrete/brick etc. construction.

Sorry if I am resurrecting an old thread, but have been using this thread as a resource for setting up a router system on a new property. I'm probably going to go with a GT-AX6000 as the main router. Have wired backhaul throughout the property, so I want to have mesh with a router on each floor (three floors total). Is it overkill to have a GT-AX6000 on each floor? If I use GT-AX6000 as the main router, what should I use as the APs?
It depends on your requirements. Personally, I would (and have done exactly this...) purchase a 2.5 Gbps switch (TP-Link switches are reasonably priced, AND they support Asus implementation of VLAN IDs for guest network 1 segmentation across AiMesh nodes) to run hardwired 2.5 Gbps from the GT-AX6000 to a 2.5 Gbps-capable router (e.g., either RT-AX86U or GT-AX6000, depending on whether you need 2.5 Gbps hardwired output from the nodes). As you can see, I use a GT-AX6000, (2) RT-AX86U, and an GT-AXE16000 (to take advantage of 10 Gbps connection from node with my NASs to my primary switch).

While many have a lot of success with AiMesh, there are also quite a number of horror stories where it simply seems like a lot of hurdles to overcome in order to get it working. A real roll of the dice, and your call if you want to spend time troubleshooting misbehaving mesh devices. I decided to go the easy route, and implemented the Google Nest Pro mesh behind my AX-6000. It's seamless, works out of the box as advertised, and best of all, it just works. ;) There's some downsides, like its interface being overly simplistic, you don't have a lot of control, and it updates on its own. But with it being the main network my family and all the smart-gadgets connect to, I'm very happy with the setup. This way they can do their thing, while I still get to play and experiment with the AX-6000 running firewall, adblockers and whole-home vpn that the Google Nest is all forced to use.

How many SqFt is your new property? 3x GT-AX6000 routers is almost certainly overkill unless the walls/floors are concrete/brick etc. construction.

6,000 sq ft + want coverage into the front and back outside areas.

It depends on your requirements. Personally, I would (and have done exactly this...) purchase a 2.5 Gbps switch (TP-Link switches are reasonably priced, AND they support Asus implementation of VLAN IDs for guest network 1 segmentation across AiMesh nodes) to run hardwired 2.5 Gbps from the GT-AX6000 to a 2.5 Gbps-capable router (e.g., either RT-AX86U or GT-AX6000, depending on whether you need 2.5 Gbps hardwired output from the nodes). As you can see, I use a GT-AX6000, (2) RT-AX86U, and an GT-AXE16000 (to take advantage of 10 Gbps connection from node with my NASs to my primary switch).
So the plan for this property would be:

1st floor: Fiber Modem (1Gbps DL/UL) connecting to a Netgear switch (I don't think it's a 2.5Gbps switch, perhaps I need to upgrade this unit). There is wired ethernet throughout the property (different female ethernet ports in the walls but all the cabling comes down to the first floor and connects to the switch).

2nd floor: Connect a Mesh router or AP here, plugged into the female ethernet port in the wall

3rd floor: Connect a Mesh router of AP here, plugged into the female ethernet port in the wall

I suppose I was asking --- if the GT-AX6000 is on the first floor, is there a more economical option than buying two more GT-AX6000s just to retain all the WiFi6 and 2.5Gbps features?

So the plan for this property would be:

1st floor: Fiber Modem (1Gbps DL/UL) connecting to a Netgear switch (I don't think it's a 2.5Gbps switch, perhaps I need to upgrade this unit). There is wired ethernet throughout the property (different female ethernet ports in the walls but all the cabling comes down to the first floor and connects to the switch).

2nd floor: Connect a Mesh router or AP here, plugged into the female ethernet port in the wall

3rd floor: Connect a Mesh router of AP here, plugged into the female ethernet port in the wall

I suppose I was asking --- if the GT-AX6000 is on the first floor, is there a more economical option than buying two more GT-AX6000s just to retain all the WiFi6 and 2.5Gbps features?
I believe that I answered that earlier. The RT-AX86U has only one 2.5 Gbps port that can be configured as LAN or WAN -- you can get 2.5 Gbps from router or switch to the node by configuring as WAN, but you won't be able to connect a 2.5 Gbps switch or device to it (and operate at full speed). To get 2.5 Gbps in AND out, you need a device like GT-AX6000 or GT-AXE16000 with multiple 2.5 Gbps ports.

I believe that I answered that earlier. The RT-AX86U has only one 2.5 Gbps port that can be configured as LAN or WAN -- you can get 2.5 Gbps from router or switch to the node by configuring as WAN, but you won't be able to connect a 2.5 Gbps switch or device to it (and operate at full speed). To get 2.5 Gbps in AND out, you need a device like GT-AX6000 or GT-AXE16000 with multiple 2.5 Gbps ports.

Thanks. I'll likely get multiple GT-AX6000s then. Appreciate it!

Thanks. I'll likely get multiple GT-AX6000s then. Appreciate it!
Good plan! If you are in the US, both Amazon and Best Buy currently have the GT-AX6000 for $250!

Good plan! If you are in the US, both Amazon and Best Buy currently have the GT-AX6000 for $250!
Feel like I may end up having WiFi remorse with WiFi 7 right around the corner, but you're right, the price is good for these.... Merlin himself didn't seem so hot on GT-AXE16000 (WiFi 6E) haha

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!