What's new

"Best" new router that supports Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can I flash the GT-AX6000 with either firmware file? ROG or standard version? Are there any differences in features?

The temptation is building... heh heh.
Resistance was futile. GT-AX6000 on it's way to me. Will be here tomorrow. Let's GO!

Resistance was futile. GT-AX6000 on it's way to me. Will be here tomorrow. Let's GO!
You're going to love it... It's a huge step up from the AC86U for me.

I don't expect a massive jump coming from an RT-AX86U as my main router. But it will allow me to re-shuffle my APs.

I don't expect a massive jump coming from an RT-AX86U as my main router. But it will allow me to re-shuffle my APs.
You have already been "spoiled" I see. LOL

It was the same thing for me...

If you are also using a USB drive and have created a swap file, did you noticed that it is not used at all (at least for me):

1672866987253.png

It was the same thing for me...

If you are also using a USB drive and have created a swap file, did you noticed that it is not used at all (at least for me):
Same here... 0MB used. I'm *SO* glad I created a 5GB swapfile! LOL

I actually splurged and mounted a nice little Samsung SSD this goaround. My cheapo USB drive started failing on me on the AC86U, and didn't want to deal with that again...

This is a good thing. You don't want this swap file on USB stick used.

Will a GT-AX6000 pair up well with RT-AC86U as a AiMesh node?

Yes, and in range and wall penetration it will give GT-AX6000 run for its money. :)

Yes, and in range and wall penetration it will give GT-AX6000 run for its money. :)
Hmm, I'm debating if I want spend the money and get the GT-AX6000 as my main and make my Rt-AC86U an AiMesh node. I currently have GT-AC2900 (basically a RT-AC86U with pretty lights) as main and RT-AC86U as node. Wasn't sure if mixing AX & AC was OK in mesh environment, but sounds like its OK,

@JohnD5000,

It is (possibly) okay, at least until you can get two identical (AX class, of course) units.

I currently have GT-AC2900 (basically a RT-AC86U with pretty lights) as main and RT-AC86U as node

You won't see $300 improvement for sure.

@JohnD5000
Running only RMerlin FW, my current Main(AX) and AP(AC) are working well in my environment!

You won't see $300 improvement for sure.
When I upgraded a RT-AC68U (I have 2 of them in a box somewhere) to a RT-AC86U I did notice a big improvement in speed and coverage. How much of an improvement (if any) could I expect upgrading one of the RT-AC86Us to a GT-AX6000?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!