What's new

Best Online Backup of a NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sammyman

Occasional Visitor
I am wondering what the best way to make an online backup of all my data on my NAS would be? Amazon EC3, Mozy, Carbonite? I am willing to spend about $10/mo for a service like this. What would work well for a Netgear ReadyNAS or Synology DS410?

A few questions:

1. how much data are you looking to back up?

2. what is the upload speed of your internet connection?

3. are you willing to install client software on your PC, mount the NAS as a drive share, and use your PC as an intermediary to send the NAS data to the online service?

Keep in mind that if you have a 5 Mbit/sec upload speed, then for every 1TB of data it will take 21 days to send over. This would apply to the first transfer, and hopefully future backups will only process any changes.

I think I will be backing up around 1.5tb of important stuff, and another 1.5th of less important stuff (can do without this if much cheaper).

I don't know my upload speed.

I wouldn't mind installing a client. However, I am leaning towards Synologys built in Amazon s3 service.

Oh crap that is expensive. I thought you were adding a zero, but it looks like it was the other way around.

Think you mean $23/mo, but that is still too much... Maybe I need to figure out mozy on my NAS.

I was never happy with Mozy. Plus it won't allow you to backup UNC paths or mapped disks so thats not an option. Same for Carbonite.

Look at Crashplan and Jungledisk. Crashplan is less expensive for that massive amount of data you have. You'll need to use their workaround to access UNC paths. http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/recipe/back_up_windows_mapped_drives. Plus I highly recommend you seed your initial backup. See their site for more details.

Thanks for your response! I was getting frustrated with this whole situation, and have been wondering if I should buy a 2nd NAS to put at my parents house to have a backup of my data.

This looks much more promising. I will have to take a look at these 2 options.

Thanks for your response! I was getting frustrated with this whole situation, and have been wondering if I should buy a 2nd NAS to put at my parents house to have a backup of my data.
Actually, that might not be a bad plan. The TonidoPlugs make site to site backup easy.

This looks much more promising. I will have to take a look at these 2 options.

You should also have a look at the prices of this one. (Just €7,49 per month for all your PC's and a NAS device) http://mijnbackuponline.net/index.php/nas-backup-online

Who are they and can you trust them with your data?

Hi Claykin
I think you can thrust them to deliver a well known online backup solution for less then the usual retail price. They are backed up by Livedrive with more then 500.000 customers. Also there are some good review articles to be found on the Livedrive backup solutions.

Hi Claykin
I think you can thrust them to deliver a well known online backup solution for less then the usual retail price. They are backed up by Livedrive with more then 500.000 customers. Also there are some good review articles to be found on the Livedrive backup solutions.

Sounds like you may have a vested interest in promoting them?? :confused:

Old Thread

I understand this is an old thread but I came across it via Google.

Does anyone have any definitive answers for what online backup service to use for NAS devices?

I understand this is an old thread but I came across it via Google.

Does anyone have any definitive answers for what online backup service to use for NAS devices?
You are usually limited to the cloud backup vendors that a particular NAS supports. Amazon S3 is common.

You are usually limited to the cloud backup vendors that a particular NAS supports. Amazon S3 is common.

Thanks for the reply. I've been doing a bit of research today and have found that a lot of the unlimited providers don't support NAS.

One of the ones which does support online NAS backup is Bulldog Backup although their website was a bit unclear as to how much I could backup and for what cost.

Their support were able to tell me that whilst they impose no limits on internal drives they impose a hard limit of 2TB per external drive/network share with each network share costing £6p/m per share on top of your subscription... In my case this will probably be OK as my FreeNas box is only 1TB but may not be ideal for others.

I'm going to have a look at S3 although it looks as though it may be a little more than I had budgeted for.

If anyone has other suggestions I'm keen to hear them.

I was referring to cloud backup clients integrated into the NAS itself. As you noted, very few cloud providers allow backup of networked shares, either directly or mapped. Some allow attached drives to be backed up.