What's new

Best router for a symmetric Gigabit connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You don't see most reviews test routing throughput at all, let alone with PPPoE.
SNB hasn't run our routing throughput tests with PPPoE because most readers are far more focused on wireless performance, so that is where we spend most test time.

Our current test suite it more comprehensive than anyone else's and it already takes too much time, causing fewer products to be reviewed.

So the technology to do the testing is there. It's a question of priority, reviewer skillset and return on investment for spending the time to do the test.

I want to be clear that I didn't mean to say your work here isn't valuable or appreciated, by far you have the most comprehensive tests for actually comparing products...as most of the "review" sites have individuals making up their own tests which aren't repeatable or consistent, so their is no threshold of comparison.

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't take your comments negatively.

I was just trying to explain why it's so difficult to find the data you seek.

I hope the next router test process can add PPPOE performance tests.
The CDRouter system is supposed to support it.

Folks give me a hard time over the Operator Equipment getting much better than it has been in the past...

Most of their CPE can carry rated speed...

As long as the OE is comparable to what the customer would purchase in terms of functionality and can deliver the advertised throughput for the subscribed service, then everyone wins. That has not proven to be true in my experience, so I let my RT-AC68U be an access point while my "retired" i5-2500K powered firewall running an open source firewall distribution handle the routing and security.

To be a little nostalgic, my first open source firewall was running on an AMD K6-3/500. It could only handle about 80Mb/s between the WAN and LAN interface.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!