What's new

Best Switch for AT&T Uverse

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willmatt

Occasional Visitor
I am moving to an apartment where AT&T Uverse is available. The Residential Gateway (RG) will be installed in a structured wiring cabinet. There is a CAT5E to each of three locations where I want to install a Uverse Set Top Box. I also want to install a computer and printer at each location. I have reviewed a number of forums and learned that in order to prevent IPTV flooding of devices other than the STB connected to the switch, I need a switch that supports IGMP Snooping. Since I will need at least three switches I am looking for affordable switches. I found the TP Link TL-SG108E, a managed switch with basic automatic IGMP Snooping. The manufacture claims that when the IGMP feature is enabled, the switch will direct IPTV streams only to those ports requiring the stream. My main concern is whether I need the capability of more sophisticated switch, like the Netgear GS108Tv2 or TP-Link TL-SG2008 that allows the user to manually set IGMP Snooping on a per port basis. Your advice will be appreciated.

I use two switches from TP-Link in their Smart series. I have been extremely happy with them and they have worked perfect for me. Now to your question. I believe the Easy Smart switch would work for you in your situation. The Smart switch would give you more control over the IGMP but I really don't think you will need it. So if money is a primary concern I would go with the Easy Smart switch.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!