What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
check for beta firm doesnt work!
I can change it to search for beta enabled, then cklick firmware where I search for new (am on alpha3 now), afterwards it says no new beta found and check for beta firm is set back to NO like before, that doesnt make any sense ...
Or maybe it only shows search beta enableded but never did it in background, so it doesnt find beta and going back it shows again disabled beta search.

Seen on both 68U/86U.
Same on beta1, after search for new beta setting is reset to disable.

Still on beta1.
After firm-initialize it is neither enable nor disabled set by default.
upload_2018-4-30_18-24-59.png

Still on beta1.
View attachment 12862

Indeed, the firmware check system is now useless. There used to be 2 select buttons, one in tools , the other on the firmware upgrade page.
Now we have one , select to check within "tools" and apply , then use the check update button on the firmware page and your selection within the "tools" page is reversed.

Did an upgrade from 384.4_2 on a RT-AC86U. OpenVPN clients are still working, no routing problems either. I do have an issue with chrome based browsers on Android (Chrome and Brave browser). The System log->General log tab becomes unresponsive when opened, and it takes a long time for the menu items to appear. When the menu items are visible they also don't work anymore. Don't have this issue with Firefox for Android. Also Chrome on Windows doesn't have this issue.
Just an update on this issue. With Firefox I cleared the log, and after that chrome started working again. Probably chrome couldn't handle the amount of data, so I don't think it is a firmware issue.

I'm not a router guru and I would be grateful if someone would explain why you would or would not turn on Master Browser and/or WINS Server? My AC68 (384.4_2) has a USB3 drive attached using Samba for sharing and media on my home network. Currently - Master=on WINS=off. Seems to be the defaults.

Master Browser is mostly useful in networks that have computers sharing folders with other computers, and you need to predictably have one specific device (in this case, the router) always contain a list of network computers. You don't need this setting if you don't share files from the PCs themselves, or if you have either a server or a NAS.

WINS is old, legacy stuff, and is best left disabled unless you know what it is (meaning you understand why you'd actually need it).

Probably means the setting is missing a default value. I'll take a look.

Indeed, the firmware check system is now useless. There used to be 2 select buttons, one in tools , the other on the firmware upgrade page.
Now we have one , select to check within "tools" and apply , then use the check update button on the firmware page and your selection within the "tools" page is reversed.

You still have the exact same two settings, except they are now together on the Tools settings page. The fact the beta setting isn't sticking is a bug, not a deliberate change.

Probably means the setting is missing a default value. I'll take a look.

You still have the exact same two settings, except they are now together on the Tools settings page. The fact the beta setting isn't sticking is a bug, not a deliberate change.
I noticed that as well. The ‘Check for new beta firmware releases’ selection wasn’t set after I initialized.

I was able to set it to No afterwards.

@RMerlin In my browser (Firefox ESR 52.7.3) commit f4176d9 ("webui: set textarea_ssh_table font to Courier/monospace") causes the effective font-size to change from 13px previously to 16px now. I don't see why this happens, but an easy solution is to add an explicit font-size to the .textarea_ssh_table CSS:
Code:
font-size:13px;

Odd, might be inheriting it from something upstream in the cascade.

@RMerlin I brought this up before but wanted to point out again that the character set for the text area for the ssh key and the text area for the syslog are the same. Messed up looking bigger than it should in both cases.

They're both different CSS classes (textarea_log_table and textarea_ssh_table).

Pick up the security patches of strongswan.

Done.

I don't know the reason :O. Maybe different development team?

The BRT seems to be a separate team's project. Their code is different from the regular 380 branch, and they seem to push out two firmware update a year so far...

And please add libletsencrypt.so file to tracking list, when you merge with newer RT-AC86U GPL.

I don't have a "tracking list", I assume you mean the copy-prebuilt script which I use to merge binary blobs. The directory wasn't included in it yet, I was manually merging it for all models until now.

Entware openvpn has better benchmark time.
How do you think about this ?

64-bit OpenSSL I suspect. I use a 32-bit one because of everything else linked against it, including closed-source portions.

They're both different CSS classes (textarea_log_table and textarea_ssh_table).
I'm using the most current version of Chrome. It is on Ubuntu though but is there some work around? This is terrible man! Would an enhanced font extension work?
EDIT: Chrome and Chromium has crappy font but Firefox doesn't.....guess who is changing to Firefox?

Last edited:
Done.
64-bit OpenSSL I suspect. I use a 32-bit one because of everything else linked against it, including closed-source portions.
Thanks.
Theoretically, 10% buff. It is not small.
Is it hard work to link openvpn to 64bit openssl files like strongswan for HND?

I'm using the most current version of Chrome. It is on Ubuntu though but is there some work around? This is terrible man! Would an enhanced font extension work?
EDIT: Chrome and Chromium has crappy font but Firefox doesn't.....guess who is changing to Firefox?

As I mentioned on iRC, the problem is with your configuration (either X or Chromium). Chromium has no trouble displaying this page for me under Ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks.
Theoretically, 10% buff. It is not small.
Is it hard work to link openvpn to 64bit openssl files like strongswan for HND?

Not possible, as everything linked to openvpn would need to also be 64-bit, including libshared and libnvram, which I cannot recompile with a different architecture.

I doubt that real-life test would show a 10% difference however. You'd have to run a test with iperf through a tunnel to see what real throughput you get.

I doubt that real-life test would show a 10% difference however. You'd have to run a test with iperf through a tunnel to see what real throughput you get.
yeah, there is no difference between both of them indeed.
Both hit around 250Mbps in iperf test.
Forget it.

Hi All,

I am new to this firmware - however, I did notice that in this beta, IPv6 is not working at all. Anyone else experiencing this? It was working fine on the 384.4_2 build.

When I go to the IPv6 Tab, there is nothing filled in. Previously part of this was populated automatically. Also there are no IPv6 IPs being served either from DHCP. This is probably a symptom of the prefix, etc. not being populated.

I have rebooted the router, but not resetted.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
1. step always reset (with initialize) and config manually again

more details of your router sure will help here for further support. This firm is running on many types and they act sometimes different.

Sure, I will try and reset tonight and get back to you. This is running on an RT-AC88U. The cable modem is a Xfinity XB6 (will have to get back to you with the model #) in bridge mode.

I had to revert to 384_4_2. The network client list would constantly refresh. DirecTV would lose its Internet connection within 30 minutes after resetting the cinema connection kit's client. We have Cox Gigablast service and performance would slow to a crawl.

None of these issues were present, or were not as far as this addled dolt could discern, with 384_4_2. It is stable, fast and no constant client list refreshing. Oh, DirecTV has not lost its Internet connection since reverting.

My setup is pretty vanilla. I use bandwidth monitor to keep a fire stick from using too much of it. That was before switching to Gigablast. That's it. Vanilla after that except for IPv6 & manually assigned IP's.

I had to revert to 384_4_2. The network client list would constantly refresh. DirecTV would lose its Internet connection within 30 minutes after resetting the cinema connection kit's client. We have Cox Gigablast service and performance would slow to a crawl.

None of these issues were present, or were not as far as this addled dolt could discern, with 384_4_2. It is stable, fast and no constant client list refreshing. Oh, DirecTV has not lost its Internet connection since reverting.

My setup is pretty vanilla. I use bandwidth monitor to keep a fire stick from using too much of it. That was before switching to Gigablast. That's it. Vanilla after that except for IPv6 & manually assigned IP's.

I have a similar experience with the Network Client List...
it refreshes... freezes my remote Realvnc session for a few seconds, shows empty after that and when going back to the Network Map, Clients number is showing 0 is slowly increasing when clients are reconnecting. this is weird because I never had this issue with the previous 394.4.2 release.
Clients are still connected even if not shown in the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!