What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to revert to 384_4_2. The network client list would constantly refresh. DirecTV would lose its Internet connection within 30 minutes after resetting the cinema connection kit's client. We have Cox Gigablast service and performance would slow to a crawl.

None of these issues were present, or were not as far as this addled dolt could discern, with 384_4_2. It is stable, fast and no constant client list refreshing. Oh, DirecTV has not lost its Internet connection since reverting.

My setup is pretty vanilla. I use bandwidth monitor to keep a fire stick from using too much of it. That was before switching to Gigablast. That's it. Vanilla after that except for IPv6 & manually assigned IP's.
I have a similar experience with the Network Client List...
it refreshes... freezes my remote Realvnc session for a few seconds, shows empty after that and when going back to the Network Map, Clients number is showing 0 is slowly increasing when clients are reconnecting. this is weird because I never had this issue with the previous 394.4.2 release.
Clients are still connected even if not shown in the list.
Have you both reset to factory defaults after the flash and setup manually? With no import of saved settings? I had that same issue a while back after a flash and a reset fixed it. Just saying!

Have you both reset to factory defaults after the flash and setup manually? With no import of saved settings? I had that same issue a while back after a flash and a reset fixed it. Just saying!

factory reset looks like to be the solution to all problems... it's like running windows xp these days! ;-)

nope I didn't do a factory reset... but I will as soon as I have more than 5 minutes to do it (with all the smart devices, IPTV and all connected devices I have at home), I have to keep all settings as is for now if I don't want an angry wife mad at me! ;-)

Yes to factory default resets. Used the GUI to initialize and restore, the WPS button method, the reset button method and the SSH method to clear the nvram. Reverted back to 384_4_2 & before clearing the nvram to upgrade to 384_5_beta1. I then used John9527's utility to restore my settings. All of this had no effect. Again, switching back to 384_4_2 resolves all issues.

Almost forgot. Just as an experiment, once after clearing the nvram and resetting to factory defaults I only did the setup wizard. No settings restoration of any kind, just the basic setup wizard. No effect.

Last edited:
Yes to factory default resets. Used the GUI to initialize and restore, the WPS button method, the reset button method and the SSH method to clear the nvram. Reverted back to 384_4_2 & before clearing the nvram to upgrade to 384_5_beta1. I then used John9527's utility to restore my settings. All of this had no effect. Again, switching back to 384_4_2 resolves all issues.

That utility has not been updated to work with the 382/384 series and should not be used; it's only for the 380 series. Sorry, you have to re-enter all your settings by hand to determine if you have an issue with 385_5. Even if it "seemed" to work with 384_4_2, there is no guarantee it will work with 384_5 and "working" with 384_4_2 was likely more luck than anything else.

• OpenVPN: Make sure nothing was broken by the changes, and provide feedback on those changes.

RT-AC86U - Upgraded directly from 384_4_2 to 384_5_Beta1 without removing USB flash drive or factory reset, worked right out of the box. My OpenVPN server works as before without changes, and I use many OpenVPN 2.4+ features, including some custom configuration options. I'll play with it a bit more and see if anything pops up, but first impression is "it just works."

Oh yeah, in the "future feature request" pile, a box for ecdh-curve selection. Pre-shared Diffie Hellman keys is so 2016. ;-) Yes, I do use the custom configuration for it now, but if I understand correctly, the curve method is more secure than psk.

Last edited:
That utility has not been updated to work with the 382/384 series and should not be used; it's only for the 380 series. Sorry, you have to re-enter all your settings by hand to determine if you have an issue with 385_5. Even if it "seemed" to work with 384_4_2, there is no guarantee it will work with 384_5 and "working" with 384_4_2 was likely more luck than anything else.
OK, I'll buy that. However, why would it persist after the setup wizard with no restoration whatsoever? The network client list refreshed constantly and the damned DirecTV CCK would almost instantly lose its connection.

At any rate I can't reenter all of my settings manually until I have the time. So upgrading will have to wait. Oh well. Until then everything is humming along nicely on 384_4_2.

Edit: I did not use the recovery utility when flashing to 384_4_2. And not everytime I tried to go to 384_5_beta1. I was not prepared to upgrade & should have read the thread before attempting.

OK, I'll buy that. However, why would it persist after the setup wizard with no restoration whatsoever? The network client list refreshed constantly and the damned DirecTV CCK would almost instantly lose its connection.

That I couldn't tell you. Have you tried the unplug it for a couple minutes method? If the 3100 has a power button, toggle the power to "on" while unplugged to help discharge everything. In all honesty, it was one of those "I can't figure it out quickly and my wife wants the internet back" things that drove me to buy the 86U. I had an AC3200 so I couldn't go back to 380.X, and it was hard to tell if it was just I didn't use the magic combination or it had been damaged by cats sitting on it to keep warm. At least they can't sit on the 86U.

You still have the exact same two settings, except they are now together on the Tools settings page. The fact the beta setting isn't sticking is a bug, not a deliberate change.

Okay , then may I suggest that those buttons both belong on the firmware page , not in tools ?

It is illogical to me that firmware settings be on any other page.

Upgrade from a3 to beta 1, the wifi will suddenly lost frequently. Openvpn need reconfig. openvpn for android can connect to server, openvpn connect cannot. Back to a3, problems solved. Try 2 times, same result..

Upgraded from Alpha3 to Beta 1 on 86U yesterday. Had to physically restart as Wi-Fi slowed, but seems all good now. May reset and reconfigure later...

Thanks Eric!

Getting slightly higher VPN speed now with OpenVPN 2.4.6. Updated my blog article about it.
Interesting. I'll try to carve out some time to do the upgrade in the next day or two and see if I experience improvement in speeds and post my results.

Okay , then may I suggest that those buttons both belong on the firmware page , not in tools ?

It is illogical to me that firmware settings be on any other page.

They are there due to technical limitations with the Firmware Upgrade page, which isn't designed to submit settings back to the router's httpd daemon (i.e. there's no way to just save settings). That's why the Beta checkbox was so quirky to use in its previous location.

Is there no other way but to manually enter all values again? Personally I'm only interested in the static DHCP leases, but I have quite a few...

Currently I have 3200 running fw 380.69 and considering to upgrade. I have entware installed and run a useful script to allow two different vpn’s per SSID.

I have the option to upgrade to 380.70 and stay their or go to 384.x.

I’m hoping that I will be able to reinstall entware and use exact scripts as before.

Can this be done and what are the main benifits of 384.x over the legacy fw ?
What are the memory demands of 384.x ?

That I couldn't tell you. Have you tried the unplug it for a couple minutes method? If the 3100 has a power button, toggle the power to "on" while unplugged to help discharge everything.
I repeatedly did the ole' power down, unplug & push the power button to discharge everything trick.

I have a plan of attack for next time. I am going to unhook everything. All connections and USB except for my Surface. Then, after thoroughly researching what I need to do to upgrade, I will go from there.

Hi All.
RMerlin, firmware is 384.5-beta1 does not work with 4G usb modem huawei E392, in the logs of the router received this message:
vid: 0x12d1 product=0x1506 : invalid for parameter 'vendor'
syslog: can't load module option (kernel/drivers/usb/option.ko): invalid argument.

Resetting to factory settings and clearing nvram does not help.
On your firmware 380.70 all right. Checked on the latest original firmware asus 3.0.0.4.384.20648, too, all right. I beg you, please to try to fix the problem, for me is very critical, as the main Internet connection is carried out via a usb dongle. On Russian forum 4pda.ru a lot of users report the same problem as mine. Router Asus RT-AC68U. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!