What's new

Beta Beta Firmware ASUS RT-AC86U - Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lockups, tons of bugs, no go... you are sort of just spreading FUD. Asus has been releasing 386 firmware for some time now.

OE
What does FUD stand for? #naive

Not spreading sh1t...I know when things are running/behaving how they should be...look at Vant post here that confirmed devices on web gui and app behaving odd...

What does FUD stand for? #naive

Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

I've been running 386 firmware on my 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh since 9-11-2020.

OE

Not spreading sh1t...I know when things are running/behaving how they should be...look at Vant post here that confirmed devices on web gui and app behaving odd...

I don't doubt that you are having issues. But there needs to be more than one or two users having trouble with 386 firmware to have sufficient consensus to wave people away from it. This is simply not the case here.

Vant's report concerned the client list which is often less than accurate... mine is accurate on RC2-11. And I suspect VANT is still running 386 firmware... not going back to 384 firmware because the client list is misreporting.

OE

I don't doubt that you are having issues. But there needs to be more than one or two users having trouble with 386 firmware to have sufficient consensus to wave people away from it. This is simply not the case here.

Vant's report concerned the client list which is often less than accurate... mine is accurate on RC2-11. And I suspect VANT is still running 386 firmware... not going back to 384 firmware because the client list is misreporting.

OE
I never steered anyone from this release ( other than what I experienced) and im sure ill update to .386 in the future.

Last edited:
I'm on version 9-0-0-4-386-41994
btw. RC2-11 is the same that oficial beta release.

I also have 386. Sometimes it loses wifi on 2.4GHz. I have to OFF/ON.

In my experience, losing WiFi is a either a firmware installation issue or a hardware issue. Having to cycle power suggests a hardware issue. Early AC86Us were reported to have 2.4 radio failure.

If it is a firmware defect, I would expect to see more reports here. I'm not aware of any such trend.

OE

I also have 386. Sometimes it loses wifi on 2.4GHz. I have to OFF/ON.
I also experienced such a problem. I saw my 2,4GHz network, but i could not connect. I have my 86u from 2018 year and if i good remember is a 1.5 revision.
The problem was solved by turning the 2,4GHz radio off and on from the gui interface

Last edited:
Since my update, my web pages take a bit longer to load up. I did the dirty upgrade cos I didn't want all the hard work entailed with my 30 connected devices however I might just have to eh? Otherwise its problem-free so far

Hard work? :)

Get a cup of your favorite beverage and before you know it, you'll be done.

I see a lot of people report slowness or general performance issues lately, all blaming it on the firmware. Keep in mind folks that with the current pandemic, a lot of ISPs are overloaded. Earlier last week for instance, my 400/50 Mbps connection was giving me only 300/10 Mbps (which made it painful to restore this 3 GB backup on a customer's website). The same speedtest at 1 am that night gave me my full 400/50 Mbps.

So when experiencing performance issues, make sure you test outside of peak hours to determine if your issue isn't caused by ISP congestion. Quite frankly, very little can change in a firmware that could cause general performance issues on the Internet. Far more likely to be a problem related to your DNS configuration, or your iSP suffering from congestion.

I see a lot of people report slowness or general performance issues lately, all blaming it on the firmware. Keep in mind folks that with the current pandemic, a lot of ISPs are overloaded. Earlier last week for instance, my 400/50 Mbps connection was giving me only 300/10 Mbps (which made it painful to restore this 3 GB backup on a customer's website). The same speedtest at 1 am that night gave me my full 400/50 Mbps.

So when experiencing performance issues, make sure you test outside of peak hours to determine if your issue isn't caused by ISP congestion. Quite frankly, very little can change in a firmware that could cause general performance issues on the Internet. Far more likely to be a problem related to your DNS configuration, or your iSP suffering from congestion.
I appreciate the conversation around slow speeds, thank you. The only thing that has not changed since I updated to this software is the DNS settings. I still have Quad9 in place, is there anything else I should be reviewing around the DNS? Thanks

and they never accept any Critism on their terrible buggy firmware and trend Micro stuff just ask Grisu

and they never accept any Critism on their terrible buggy firmware and trend Micro stuff just ask Gris

I think they always accept criticism very well.

OE

I appreciate the conversation around slow speeds, thank you. The only thing that has not changed since I updated to this software is the DNS settings. I still have Quad9 in place, is there anything else I should be reviewing around the DNS? Thanks

Are you using the router to supply DNS to clients, or are you using a dedicated internal DNS resolver/forwarder? For my own home network, I'm using an unbound/Pi-hole internal DNS, and have my AP router pointed to Cloudflared for upstream DNS, as I know the firmware relies on external DNS for some limited operations, such as network time, etc. This combo has worked very well for me...as far as using the router/AP for DNS, I can't comment on whether or not it is problematic for clients on the LAN.

Last edited:
may be they do but dont seam to do any thing about fixing their buggy firmware both asus @ broadcom's SDK's are as buggy as hell and are bad as one another

They both have far more credibility in the business than you do, so you may not get much traction here with your complaint.

OE

same old same old nothing gets fixed just a buggy firmware
You can feel that way as long as you let others feel Asus is doing a good job. My home router and several Asus at customers are all running the current beta firmware with no apparent issues. Asus/Trendmicro is not buggy.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!