What's new

Beta Beta Firmware ASUS RT-AC86U - Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

well of course you are going to say that know one is going to admit that it is buggy, the dsl 88 / 31 firmware was buggy asus dumped that with out telling any one that no more firmware updates for it just because people in this forum think it's not buggy other forums might be different

Mine have all been solid. Mesh not so great but standalone? Rare reboots. The math says it works well for most clients, but not all. Try something else.

Now even the mesh works great on this Zen XT8.

Are you using the router to supply DNS to clients, or are you using a dedicated internal DNS resolver/forwarder? For my own home network, I'm using an unbound/Pi-hole internal DNS, and have my AP router pointed to Cloudflared for upstream DNS, as I know the firmware relies on external DNS for some limited operations, such as network time, etc. This combo has worked very well for me...as far as using the router/AP for DNS, I can't comment on whether or not it is problematic for clients on the LAN.
Hi, so I have reached my limitation here, I have no idea what you are asking me lol, sorry.

I have my WAN DNS setting to quad 9 configurations on my router, that's it. Do I need to do more or......? #newbie

Hi, so I have reached my limitation here, I have no idea what you are asking me lol, sorry.

I have my WAN DNS setting to quad 9 configurations on my router, that's it. Do I need to do more or......? #newbie
No, Your DNS set to Quad9 resolvers should be OK. From time to time I have had connection issues with Quad9 as my ISP routes to Quad9 resolvers 10 times farther away than Cloudflare Secure (1.1.1.2 & 1.0.0.2). So sometimes I switch to Cloudflare. Both outfits seem to do a good job blocking malware sites. Your mileage may vary and you may want to test other DNS resolvers.

cheers for the reply although how would i know where the resolvers are to make a difference or change?

cheers for the reply although how would i know where the resolvers are to make a difference or change?
DNS leak test will show you where they are.

DNS leak test will show you where they are.
so am not using a vpn and my isp is showing fine then the DNS all show 6 servers in Washington and i am in Alberta Canada. Also I had Quad 9 as my DNS before my upgrade.

Last edited:
So...........

My cpu temp rose 5 to 6 °C from 3.0.0.4.386_40451 to this firmware while idling.
It might be good if we include the CPU load when reporting temperature, as that is what causes more heat.

Temperatures2.4 GHz: 54°C - 5 GHz: 60°C - CPU: 76°C

Ambient Temp: 29°C
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins)2.29, 2.10, 2.04

It might be good if we include the CPU load when reporting temperature, as that is what causes more heat.

Temperatures2.4 GHz: 54°C - 5 GHz: 60°C - CPU: 76°C

Ambient Temp: 29°C
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins)2.29, 2.10, 2.04
Mine is at 79°C with ambient temp 21°C. If you guide how to obtain this values I'll post them here.

So how long is this beta going to last? The DNSSEC issue is fixed.

So how long is this beta going to last? The DNSSEC issue is fixed.
This Beta firmware update came out quickly just before the start of the Chinese New Year celebration period: it's not surprising that we are likely to see a significant "pause" before a new Release version, as I am sure Asus has many employees taking some time off during this period.

Last edited:
Mine is at 79°C with ambient temp 21°C. If you guide how to obtain this values I'll post them here.
On the tools tab, CPU load Averages:
tools.jpg

I'm sorry but I'm not finding a tools tab.
Tools tab on Merlin firmware. This thread is for Asus factory firmware but some have to interject their values even though they do not have the Asus factory firmware.
If you want to see the temp settings you will have to do that via a terminal and run:

cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
You will get a 5 digit number like 79357 which is 79.357 degrees C for the CPU.

so am not using a vpn and my isp is showing fine then the DNS all show 6 servers in Washington and i am in Alberta Canada. Also I had Quad 9 as my DNS before my upgrade.
no further guidance? would appreciate it as its mildly irritating the slow speed on loading web pages

Tools tab on Merlin firmware. This thread is for Asus factory firmware but some have to interject their values even though they do not have the Asus factory firmware.
If you want to see the temp settings you will have to do that via a terminal and run:

cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
You will get a 5 digit number like 79357 which is 79.357 degrees C for the CPU.

Or login and browse to http://router.asus.com/ajax_coretmp.asp

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!