What's new

VPNMON [BETA] VPNMON-R2 BETA is CLOSED. Thank you all for your help!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I know, I know. After all, I ran v2.22 for a few days with zero issues on the router. Yeah, let's be safe. K, I feel like a newb askin' this but is there a way to revert while keeping the options? Or do I have to uninstall?

I know, I know. After all, I ran v2.22 for a few days with zero issues on the router. Yeah, let's be safe. K, I feel like a newb askin' this but is there a way to revert while keeping the options? Or do I have to uninstall?
You should just be able to download 2.22 and run it. ;) You'll keep all your options!

OK, never mind, I just left AMTM running and the memory leak began, it's the oddest thing. I'll keep trying to figure out where the leak is originating, have to go through ps and top (no htop in busybox, I guess).

OK, never mind, I just left AMTM running and the memory leak began, it's the oddest thing. I'll keep trying to figure out where the leak is originating, have to go through ps and top (no htop in busybox, I guess).
You can probably download it like this:

Code:
opkg install htop

The thing is, I have the latest versions of vpnmon-r2 (beta6), rtrmon and pwrmon running at all times in 3 different screen sessions. If there was a leak, I would certainly be seeing it. I really think it has something to do with the AXE16000 FW, or something in the FW is running out of control. You may (and I hate to suggest this), have to blow it away and reload a fresh copy of Merlin on it. Unless they can suggest something smart in the main threads after you deliver some of your findings/results?

I know what you said makes sense, but I have been running 386.8 on the AXE16000 for a month with zero issues. In fact, when I first installed AMTM and VPNMON, there were zero issues. These just started. There is some 'series of unfortunate events' that has triggered this.

Thanks for the tip on htop, I'll see if it helps.

Edit: I can't see jack in top, htop or ps. Everything is literally under .5% of RAM.

Edit: I can't see jack in top, htop or ps. Everything is literally under .5% of RAM.
Do you see anything eating any CPU resources as it consumes memory?

Got some shuteye (I'm +7 EST).

I only saw dnsmasq and uiDiv stats take up some CPU resources from time to time.

I am thinking maybe it's a combination of factors. For example, I have enabled all the features on the AXE16000 like AI Protection, Adaptive QoS and Traffic Analyzer, etc. with full options. Previously, I had turned them off when I had tons of WAN failures in a bid to troubleshoot the whole thing.

I rebooted the router and didn't start AMTM or VPNMON, Diversion was probably running in the background though. There were no reboots or memory leaks overnight. Have started VPNMON again, let's see how it goes.

Got some shuteye (I'm +7 EST).

I only saw dnsmasq and uiDiv stats take up some CPU resources from time to time.

I am thinking maybe it's a combination of factors. For example, I have enabled all the features on the AXE16000 like AI Protection, Adaptive QoS and Traffic Analyzer, etc. with full options. Previously, I had turned them off when I had tons of WAN failures in a bid to troubleshoot the whole thing.

I rebooted the router and didn't start AMTM or VPNMON, Diversion was probably running in the background though. There were no reboots or memory leaks overnight. Have started VPNMON again, let's see how it goes.
I personally have all those features turned off as well just to help speed up the router and make it as lean as possible. I have seen reports in the past where AI protection can create some instability. I'm also running Diversion.

Scripts like amtm or vpnmon require sh to run, and by themselves wouldn't cause any instability or memory leaks. It's like running a batch (*.bat) or a command (*.cmd) file in Windows. If anything, it would be something tied to sh or the OS itself? Can't wait to hear your results!

K, router rebooted about 2 hours ago after around 7 hours of uptime. Nothing substantial in the logs, I was out so couldn't monitor it while it went down.

Am gonna turn all the features off again. I have always kept those features off but what's the point of having such a badass router with a quad-core CPU if it can't do all this in parallel? Will restart troubleshooting after that.

Beta testing is back open with VPNMON-R2 v2.27b5!

Please read the [OP] to see what changed!

v2.27b8 will probably be the last beta before we go with a release tomorrow Oct 18, 2022. Please let me know if you find any other anomalies.

Please see the [OP] for the ever-growing changelog! ;)

@Viktor Jaep
- ADDED: A check when executing 'vpnmon-r2 -monitor' to display a warning message if an existing session running vpnmon-r2 is already running under the Screen utility. Please know, that running the -monitor command will not prevent you from running 2 instances of vpnmon-r2 at the same time, but it will warn you that conflict can very likely occur.

I seem to be getting the warning even when starting up my FIRST instance, which confused me a bit ...

vSSHvSSH - admin@192.168.1.254 (ssh)Screen Shot 18 Oct 2022 at 12.27.34.jpg

I thought I was going going crazy but I checked with "screen -list" and sure enough I only had one vpnmon-r2 running.

Code:
admin@AsusRouter:/tmp/home/root# screen -list
There is a screen on:
        1040427.vpnmon-r2       (Attached)

Oh, and AMTM is telling me that 2.30 is already available to update to, are you sneakily getting a bit ahead of yourself?

:D :p

Edit, my bad, realised I was already out of date, you've released 2.30 already, but it exhibits the same issue ...

@Viktor Jaep

I seem to be getting the warning even when starting up my FIRST instance, which confused me a bit ...

View attachment 44872

I thought I was going going crazy but I checked with "screen -list" and sure enough I only had one vpnmon-r2 running.

Code:
There is a screen on:
        1040427.vpnmon-r2       (Attached)

Oh, and AMTM is telling me that 2.30 is already available to update to, are you sneakily getting a bit ahead of yourself?

:D :p

Edit, my bad, realised I was already out of date, you've released 2.30 already, but it exhibits the same issue ...
This means you already have a screen session running, and you're about to start a second instance using the monitor switch? Please tell me the steps you're using to run this?

In your case, you should be just be executing it with "vpnmon-r2 -screen"?

Last edited:
This means you have a screen session running, and you're about to start a second instance using the monitor switch? Please tell me the steps you're using to run this?

OK @Viktor Jaep, on 2.30 now but continuing here so as to not confuse the issue.

Ran ...
Code:
admin@AsusRouter:/jffs/scripts# screen -list
No Sockets found in /opt/tmp/screens/S-admin.
to check I had no vpnmon-2 running.

Then just ran a single "vpnmon-r2 -screen" to start my 1st and only session, and got:-

Google Chromewww.snbforums.comVPNMON - [BETA] VPNMON-R2 BETA is currently OPEN... testing v2.2...jpg

Then ran another "vpnmon-r2 -screen" to see that the one I just started was indeed the only session running.
No other monitor windows, no other non-screen sessions.

Code:
There is a screen on:
        1112304.vpnmon-r2       (Attached)

Last edited:
OK @Viktor Jaep, on 2.30 now but continuing here so as to not confuse the issue.

Ran ...
Code:
admin@AsusRouter:/jffs/scripts# screen -list
No Sockets found in /opt/tmp/screens/S-admin.
to check I had no vpnmon-2 running.

Then just ran a single "vpnmon-r2 -screen" to start my 1st and only session, and got:-

View attachment 44875

Then ran another "vpnmon-r2 -screen" to see that the one I just started was indeed the only session running.
No other monitor windows, no other non-screen sessions.

Code:
There is a screen on:
        1112304.vpnmon-r2       (Attached)
Wow, nice catch @Stephen Harrington! I totally don't even see that message, as it must be overwriting it on my screen... Can you give this a shot and see if that alleviates it?

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.31.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

@Viktor Jaep - no cigar Sir on this occasion, same result for me on 2.31 ...

FinderScreen Shot 18 Oct 2022 at 14.50.55.jpg

Code:
There is a screen on:
        1542915.vpnmon-r2       (Attached)
1 Socket in /opt/tmp/screens/S-admin.

Happy for you to move these last few messages to the main thread if you have that power, or maybe get a Mod to do it?
Or maybe just re-open this Beta thread and rename it to 2.31Beta? :)

View attachment 44876

Code:
There is a screen on:
        1542915.vpnmon-r2       (Attached)
1 Socket in /opt/tmp/screens/S-admin.

Happy for you to move these last few messages to the main thread if you have that power, or maybe get a Mod to do it?
Or maybe just re-open this Beta thread and rename it to 2.31Beta? :)
Well that is certainly an annoyance! It acts completely fine on my end... and never even see that message. This was supposed to be an easy slam-dunk. ;) I think you're right... Time to open up the beta again! Lol.

So you initially start with no screen sockets listed? Using "screen -ls"? Then, after running "vpnmon-r2 -screen", you see that message, right?

So I have not been able to find a way around this obstacle... because it's circular logic...

1.) You launch vpnmon-r2 -screen
2.) the -screen action launches the -monitor action within a screen session (gives you a sessionID/socket#)
3.) the -monitor action (within screen) now running for the first time detects that a -screen session is already running
4.) thus, the false message you keep receiving

The weird thing is why it never showed that same behavior for me... anyways, deleting this "feature" for now, and will keep pondering this in the back of my head, hopefully to awaken at 03:00 with a solution someday. ;)

So you initially start with no screen sockets listed? Using "screen -ls"? Then, after running "vpnmon-r2 -screen", you see that message, right?
Confirming, that is correct.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!