What's new

Block wireless bridge clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ziggy99

New Around Here
I have an Asus ac66u B1 router. I have a PC in my house connected to an Linksys WRT54G(L?) that is running DD-WRT software and set up as a wireless bridge. My PC connects through cable to the 54G and this again connects to the ac66u via wireless.

The 54G has a static IP-address of 192.168.1.152. The PC connected to it gets assigned an IP e.g. 192.168.1.83.

The issue is that only the wireless bridge appears in the client list in the Asus (.152) - the PC is "invisible" - i.e. the .83 address is nowhere to be found - not in wireless clients or cable connected clients.

This is normally no problem, but I sometimes need to block this PC's Internet access, but if I block the 54G (.152) - then Internet still works on the PC. Probably because the PC has a .83 address. But because the PC does not show in the client list - I cannot easily click the "Block Internet Access" button - I have to manually add a FW rule based on source IP - which is very tedious to do.

Any idea why the PC does not show in the client list? It is definitely there and given an IP by the Asus DHCP.

Seems like normal behavior to me. "PC83" sends a message over Ethernet to "WRT152". WRT152 stuffs it into an "envelope" and sends it wirelessly to the Asus Router. All the Asus Router sees is "152" so that is who it's going to talk back and forth with. It's then up to WRT152 to deliver it to PC83.

One way to accomplish what you want is to set up a "Guest SSID" on the Asus router for WRT152 to connect on and simply disable/enable that SSID as needed.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!