What's new

Blocked by Fiber Folk's Box

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have you tried cloning the MAC address of the existing router's WAN interface to your router before connecting to the ONT? DNS servers would only affect name resolution.

First, make sure the router receives an IP address on the WAN interface via DHCP. Assuming no 802.1x, PPPoE, IPoE, hostname, or other DHCP field requirements, it should just work. The ONT may be looking for the MAC of the old router. Assuming you've rebooted the ONT after connecting your router, if it's not getting an IP even w/ a cloned MAC address, there's an authentication bit missing.

DNS server symptom would be WAN interface receiving an IP but browser or other clients unable to resolve hostnames.

No, but I will. I'll have to research how to clone it. Thanks! The Zyxel actually looks like a pretty fair router from the specs.

I agree with HTMLSpinnr's assessment. Just an additional note, be sure to power OFF the ONT so to release the ZyXEL's WAN address, and would renew after you swap it out with your router and power ON the ONT again.

Good luck!

Have you tried the dumb switch method???

I use to have ATT fiber, with the dumb switch method you pretty much take out the gateway that your isp uses.

it simple to do but there is a way you have to set up.

Have you tried the dumb switch method???

I use to have ATT fiber, with the dumb switch method you pretty much take out the gateway that your isp uses.

it simple to do but there is a way you have to set up.

I have not. The clone didn't work for me. I'll do a dumb switch search, thanks!

Double check with your IT guy at the ISP and make sure you don't need to set any VLANs or the sort.

Double check with your IT guy at the ISP and make sure you don't need to set any VLANs or the sort.
Yea, I bet that's the problem. I've got a few questions to ask if they will answer them, like VLAN, proxy server, radius server, etc. This is new ground that I'm plowing here.

I believe the "dumb switch method" is just configuring the fiber modem-router to operate in the bridged mode which is not applicable with your EMG6726.

While double-checking with your ISP, might also check if IPv6 is required rather than IPv4.

Good luck!

I thought that the IPv6 was it. I saw it was enabled on the other router, but didn't think of it as being required.
My router connected, said "ISP's DHCP does not function properly", then disconnected. Then it connected and stayed there for me to build enough confidence it was fixed.

Then it disconnected. Guess I can turn that back off.

... if it's not getting an IP even w/ a cloned MAC address, there's an authentication bit missing.

May not want to "turn that back off" just yet, as I think you're making some progress. As HTMLSpinnr had pointed out previously, currently your connection may be timing out because no WAN IP was issued due to failing/lacking IPoE encapsulation authentication? Might verify that...

May not want to "turn that back off" just yet, as I think you're making some progress. As HTMLSpinnr had pointed out previously, currently your connection may be timing out because no WAN IP was issued due to failing/lacking IPoE encapsulation authentication? Might verify that...
Yeah, I can't find anything on my Asus to implement or duplicate the IPoE. That and/or the VLAN info are the missing pieces I think. It will work without IPv6, or it did on the Zyxel when I turned it off.

I'm stumped and out of ideas for you. Hopefully, your perseverance will pay off. Good luck! :)

I'm stumped and out of ideas for you. Hopefully, your perseverance will pay off. Good luck! :)
Yeah, me too, until I talk to the support tech tomorrow.
I've got something wrong in the port forwarding, too. When I type in my DDNS on my phone, I get their router login.

Fixed, finally!
What it took was a static IP. Go figure? But it works, good enough 4 me. It's worth ten bucks per month.
Thanks for the help!