What's new

Blocking the TOR network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anaknipedro

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to find a way to block the TOR network. Is it possible by importing the IP list from https://www.dan.me.uk/tornodes

I thought I had this working but I reinstalled Skynet after getting a load of 404 errors in Safari. After reinstalling and importing the list from dan.me.uk, TOR still gets through.

my understanding of TOR is that you have to permit yourself to be a routable node on the network - have you been, and you now wish to undo that?
(I use a browser - brave - that has Tor functionality built-in, and our Merlin-flashed routers have the capability to turn themselves into a Tor node IIRC...I've never tried. I'm much more interested in IPFS)
It's probably a good idea to log into the GUI of the router and check Advanced Settngs - VPN - TOR and select Disable if it is currently set to Enable and then hit apply.
Be prepared for some users to be upset if this breaks things for them.
HTH...but you really should use Tor for obfuscation/pseudonymity on the net. (or have they been hacked somehow recently? compromised by one of the letter agencies?)

EDIT- if you're using default login/pwd to the router and someone on your network has enabled Tor functionality in spite of your wishes, you should change things up and keep them private. If it's blocking users on your network from using Tor that you're looking to accomplish, I'm pretty sure the only way to do that is to deny them access to the network with credentials or by restricting device usage (if you're a parent concerned with your child's browsing, which is likely the case with CleanBrowsing DNS...)

Last edited:
I'm familiar with the brave browser. That is what I'm using to test if TOR is working or not. I know the benefits of TOR and I understand there are many uses. My concern though it with protecting my children so I want to find a way to block it's use. Kids are very savvy these days and it ends up being a cat and mouse game. TOR functionality is disabled on the router settings.

TOR was built to bypass censorship, so if your kids are using it, they're using it as intended. You can only restrict access to their devices and your network.
I don't envy you the challenges/decisions you face.

Maybe it has become more possible in the last 3.5 years, sure. why not give it a try, and report back on your success/lack thereof?

So I've been able to successfully block tor by installing signet, then importing an ip list from https://www.dan.me.uk/tornodes and adding it to the signet blacklist. Success!

It seems this has been an epic quest for you.
Congratulations, good Sir Knight!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!