What's new

Boat docks and trees

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CaptnJB

New Around Here
Hello all,

we have a boat dock that is about 300’ (straight line) through trees(open canopy for the most part) and is powered by buried power lines to the house. too far and cost prohibitive now for fiber. All new docks have to use solar!

The dock moves in and out based on tgr lake level so keep that in mind it’s not a fixed target or distance.

We have used the TP-Link TL-PA511s for years and extended our network through a Wifi router at the dock. It of course has a red connection but it’s worked for years.

light phone browsing, Pandora. Dock/lake stuff.

The dock got hit by lightning and I am tempted to just buy another PA511 from eBay again but was thinking of buying an all in one with Wifi like the TL-WPA4220.
We also have a PA511 in a barn about 200’ the other way from the house.

we are at the end of the dsl line so they keep up just fine with our data speeds but it would be nice to have something more robust and less flaky.

I know about TPLink not supporting hardware quickly etc, but without breaking the bank what would you all do?

We have often though about doing a Ubiquiti but now we have the shop/barn too.

Honestly powerline adapters work great, at least the 511s have. The newer 1000 nanos never saw each other after initial pairing over that distance of electric wiring but the 511s do see each other.

All suggestions welcome.
Thanks.

Stay with separate AP and powerline adapters. You'll have more flexibility with placement.

Upgrade to a more current AV2000 powerline adapter generation. No sense getting older generation from eBay.

Thank you for the reply. I have done lots of research but it appears they don’t test the adapters over distance. Have you used these adapters over a distance and been successful?

In my case we go from the AP to the powerline right into the breaker box which goes to the meter where it branches off to the dock and barn. It’s the shortest distance possible without wiring directly to the dock line bypassing the breakers which I am not going to do.

Are the breakers "arc fault" type or GFCI ?
May also be useful to periodically tighten the wire breaker connections and the plug connections to break any corrosion.

Neither one is arc fault or gfi. Standard 30A to the dock and then std 20/10A breaker all square d.

I’ll try the Newer av2000 powerline. I do have a bunch of the Nanos but they do not work.

The new ones, TP-Link

TL-PA7010 KIT don’t even connect red. Not do they connect from house to garage. I’ll keep buying the old ones. They have something the new ones don’t. FWIW for anyone else searching.​

Thanks for reporting back. Sorry that the newer models didn't work out for you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!