What's new

brand new AC86u has a crashlog. what does any of this mean?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cooloutac

Very Senior Member
brand new ac86u using merlin 384.19. SHould I return the router? is it related to qos or something? Seems like it happened as I logged in to make a change on vpn policy rules. My only guess since the last time stamp before the crash log was just a bunch of wlceventd_proc_event which are always flooding my log. But that happens on my ac66u_b1 and happened on the ax58u too so I ignore those. and the router uptime of 20 mins. I'm only guessing it was around the time I logged into the router but I'm not sure. maybe a coincidence. I'm very concerned cause I never seen a crash log on my ac66u_b1 and I only have had this ac86u for a couple days. After reading all the problems this model has of dying hardware across the net i'm worried. before I returned the ax58u after having it a couple weeks that thing never crashed either. any idea whats going on?

EDIT: I see the same qos issue here https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/354 so probably unrelated to the crash.

Could it be memory issues? I was concerned that the ac86u had high cpu heat and high memory usage compared two the ac66u_b1 and ax58u. 10 C degrees higher heat and 20% more ram use. Not sure why.

Last edited:
brand new ac86u using merlin 384.19. SHould I return the router? is it related to qos or something? Seems like it happened as I logged in to make a change on vpn policy rules. My only guess since the last time stamp before the crash log was just a bunch of wlceventd_proc_event which are always flooding my log. But that happens on my ac66u_b1 and happened on the ax58u too so I ignore those. and the router uptime of 20 mins. I'm only guessing it was around the time I logged into the router but I'm not sure. maybe a coincidence. I'm very concerned cause I never seen a crash log on my ac66u_b1 and I only have had this ac86u for a couple days. After reading all the problems this model has of dying hardware across the net i'm worried. before I returned the ax58u after having it a couple weeks that thing never crashed either. any idea whats going on?

EDIT: I see the same qos issue here https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/354 so probably unrelated to the crash.

Could it be memory issues? I was concerned that the ac86u had high cpu heat and high memory usage compared two the ac66u_b1 and ax58u. 10 C degrees higher heat and 20% more ram use. Not sure why.

I would flash latest Asuswrt firmware, reset it, configure and use it. If it continues to log weirdness like this:

May 5 01:05:12 kernel: DYING GASP IRQ Initialized and Enabled

Then I'd return it.

OE

I would flash latest Asuswrt firmware, reset it, configure and use it. If it continues to log weirdness like this:

May 5 01:05:12 kernel: DYING GASP IRQ Initialized and Enabled

Then I'd return it.

OE

I will keep an eye out. Thinking back what I was doing at the time of the crash was I realized I was using the vpn app on my pc that was also behind the vpn on the router. It is ethernet so could be the IRQ issue is ethernet related yes? Realized after testing speed on ookla it was misconfigured. I'm wondering if this is what caused the crash. Maybe some conflict in router with the vpn policy rules and the fact I had my pc misconfigured and I was flipping the vpn on and off on the pc app. I don't think the crash happened now when I logged in to the router to change the policy rules, which makes sense cause I didn't notice anything. I thought when I lost connection on pc during the speed testing it was due to killswitch. But now I think it must of been the router crashed. Can't be a coincidence.

I also saw these entries in my log hours earlier to the crash

ovpn-client1[11803]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #94869500 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings

google search tells me its common when torrenting although I was not torrenting. And I think this was the time I was the using the pc in question earlier that day. I had only just then logged on to the pc before the crash to test its speed but didn't get those errors right before the crash though so not sure if related. Maybe because I wasn't doing anything else on it.

I'm going to stay positive and say it was all related to the misconfigured vpn for the pc. but at the same time worried with all the hardware issues for this model. I will stay posted.

Got the same crash again. this time when waking a wireless 5G laptop from sleep that was not using vpn. for the first time ever the laptop did not wake from sleep correctly. I thought omg the laptop is having power issues i almost crapped my pants. I'm thinking is it the firmware? My bios is up to date, my windows and drivers. And that was the exact time the router crashed in the logs as well. I don't even know what to say now. I think my whole network is fkd. I'm starting to think i'm paying the price now for not using secure boot in the windows laptop and my bios is somehow now screwed up. did the laptop crash the router? did the router crash the laptop? lol I admit it is not hardened. But I don't have wake from lan enabled or network boot, or intel me/amt so i'm at a loss. Maybe I should turn them on? maybe its still on even when set to off lmao.

Took your suggestion flashed to the latest stock firmware, then factory reset, reconfigured. nothing major. I just turn off smart connect, made ssid's. turned on ai protection and adaptive qos default settings. And i also added the vpn again this time on stock firmware to all devices. will see what happens.

I'm thinking i'm gonna be returning this router cause its giving me the creeps lol. But I"ve been creeped out since 9/11 this year. After verizon went down in my area that day and through the whole weekend, my ac66u_b1 was having weird issues and my cellphone kept crashing lol. bought a new phone and router, but no way I can afford to buy a new laptop too... I got 30 devices on my network, I gave up on security and privacy years ago all I want is things to work right lol.

But I guess if the router is crashing when clients are reconnecting or accessing the dhcp server it could indeed be a hardware issue. I shall see. Sorry for the stream of thought.

Last edited:
Got the same crash again. this time when waking a wireless 5G laptop from sleep that was not using vpn. for the first time ever the laptop did not wake from sleep correctly. I thought omg the laptop is having power issues i almost crapped my pants. I'm thinking is it the firmware? My bios is up to date, my windows and drivers. And that was the exact time the router crashed in the logs as well. I don't even know what to say now. I think my whole network is fkd. I'm starting to think i'm paying the price now for not using secure boot in the windows laptop and my bios is somehow now screwed up. did the laptop crash the router? did the router crash the laptop? lol I admit it is not hardened. But I don't have wake from lan enabled or network boot, or intel me/amt so i'm at a loss. Maybe I should turn them on? maybe its still on even when set to off lmao.

Took your suggestion flashed to the latest stock firmware, then factory reset, reconfigured. nothing major. I just turn off smart connect, made ssid's. turned on ai protection and adaptive qos default settings. And i also added the vpn again this time on stock firmware to all devices. will see what happens.

I'm thinking i'm gonna be returning this router cause its giving me the creeps lol. But I"ve been creeped out since 9/11 this year. After verizon went down in my area that day and through the whole weekend, my ac66u_b1 was having weird issues and my cellphone kept crashing lol. bought a new phone and router, but no way I can afford to buy a new laptop too... I got 30 devices on my network, I gave up on security and privacy years ago all I want is things to work right lol.

But I guess if the router is crashing when clients are reconnecting or accessing the dhcp server it could indeed be a hardware issue. I shall see. Sorry for the stream of thought.
Just to try to calm you a bit, I, too, have moved from an AC66U_B1 to an AC86U this year. Over the past few months I have gone between the Asus stock firmware and Merlin. I have even tried the Asus beta firmware that has AiMesh 2.0 with good success. About a month ago I got Merlin 384.19 to work well on the AC86U and except for a brief foray back to the Asus beta I have been on Merlin 384.19.
When I was on the Asus stock firmware, Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072 , I felt that the router was very stable and performance was great (I am on 100/100 FIOS). Some in the forum community are concerned that the Asus firmware is auto upgrading. This is likely in response to various router requirements from governments that routers have auto upgrade capability, not a bad thing. So, I would encourage you to stick with the Asus firmware.
Here are my recommendations for settings:
Use Dual Band SmartConnect with a common SSID
Do not change any WIFI professional settings
Set the 2.4 GHZ to 20 MHZ on Channel 1, 6, or 11
Set the 5 GHZ to 80 MHZ on Channel 36 or 149. Do not use DFS channels
Turn off WPS.
turn off UPNP
Do use DNS servers of your choice: Quad9 or Cloudflare 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2
If you do not need Samba or Media server turn them off.
Use AiProtect. Use Adaptive QOS.
If you need add blocking invest in a Raspberry Pi and install Pi-Hole.
Others will tell you some of my settings will cause you trouble. Maybe they will if you did not do a correct factory reset. See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078
It may be a good idea to overflash the Asus firmware again after a full factory reset. Would not hurt and could help.

Best of success!

Oh, please give the AC86U one more good try before you return it.

Just to try to calm you a bit, I, too, have moved from an AC66U_B1 to an AC86U this year. Over the past few months I have gone between the Asus stock firmware and Merlin. I have even tried the Asus beta firmware that has AiMesh 2.0 with good success. About a month ago I got Merlin 384.19 to work well on the AC86U and except for a brief foray back to the Asus beta I have been on Merlin 384.19.
When I was on the Asus stock firmware, Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072 , I felt that the router was very stable and performance was great (I am on 100/100 FIOS). Some in the forum community are concerned that the Asus firmware is auto upgrading. This is likely in response to various router requirements from governments that routers have auto upgrade capability, not a bad thing. So, I would encourage you to stick with the Asus firmware.
Here are my recommendations for settings:
Use Dual Band SmartConnect with a common SSID
Do not change any WIFI professional settings
Set the 2.4 GHZ to 20 MHZ on Channel 1, 6, or 11
Set the 5 GHZ to 80 MHZ on Channel 36 or 149. Do not use DFS channels
Turn off WPS.
turn off UPNP
Do use DNS servers of your choice: Quad9 or Cloudflare 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2
If you do not need Samba or Media server turn them off.
Use AiProtect. Use Adaptive QOS.
If you need add blocking invest in a Raspberry Pi and install Pi-Hole.
Others will tell you some of my settings will cause you trouble. Maybe they will if you did not do a correct factory reset. See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078
It may be a good idea to overflash the Asus firmware again after a full factory reset. Would not hurt and could help.

Best of success!

Oh, please give the AC86U one more good try before you return it.

Thanks for your reply. your settings look good to me. only thing I don't do is use smartconnect. I have like 30 devices on the wifi at a time and lots of iot devices that are 2.4 ghz only. I have had issues with things dropping connections and they sometimes recommend in their manuals to turn that off. so usually I turn that off and have two ssid's. I guess I could give it a try though. I also hide and mac filter the 5g only, just to keep things organized. I would broadcast and then also mac filter the 2g band also but it seems to not work correctly when you get to around 20 devices, even on the ax58u router I tried that I thought would do better in that regard.

I found a trick that when things sometimes do not connect when the filter gets screwed up. You can sometimes use the mobile app to delete the settings for certain devices the router has saved. For some reason i can't find where the web gui gives you this option for devices that are no longer connected.

I have indeed noticed when going to stock firmware, seeing in the syslog, the router checking for updates. And I did think that strange since there is no option to auto check in the gui like in the merlin firmware. Does the ac86u then notify you of an update? I also find it odd how unlike my past asus routers the ac86u stock firmware does not seem to be showing signature date even after a successful manual check. Is this normal?

Also the gui is very laggy on the ac86u and I have seen others comment on the forums saying the same thing. I wonder if its because the thing uses so much memory. I do find it odd the cpu sits around 70 degrees and the memory between 70-80%. but I guess thats normal for this model?

I have a raspberry pi i use to turn a usb printer into a wireless network printer. I will look into pi-hole sounds interesting.

I will definitely do the overflash and a full hard reset if I have another crash. ty for the suggestion.

Last edited:
was stable for a couple days. so now went back to merlin firmware cause I really want to use to the policy rules with the vpn. also hooked up my probably compromised old ac66u_b1 as an ai-mesh node with ethernet backhaul. I said screw it. I also upped my isp speed from 100MBs to 300. crossing fingers. so far so good.

Last edited:
20 hours now looking good. lots of wlceventd proc events and roam a cast events, prolly safe to ignore. nothing out of control now that i figured out why my vizio tv was spamming the logs.

only error i've gotten so far is BLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net

any idea what it means? quick google search shows it might be related to wireguard or ethernet possibly. It could of happened when i was testing wireguard speed with a pc app on my desktop which is ethernet. the time is right about right for when i first switched it on. hoping i don't have a bad ethernet port there after those irq gasps from days earlier. but it was only a single line. wireless speeds are actually slightly better then that ethernet port at full connection which is baffling to me but i'm chalking it up to the way way too long tangled wire i'm using. lol

i think the suggestion of flashing back to stock then factory resetting really helped. hope i dont' jinx it but logs seem pretty good and got a stable system on merlin now. vpn plicy rules and got 30 devices going will be adding more soon. lol

the merlin firmware lasted 17 hours before crashing again. then got multiple crashes. I'm at a loss. is it the ethernet port? Seems like the asus routers don't like any device that goes into a low power / sleep mode. Thats my guess lol. pretty crazy... and the ac86u is so flaky that it actually crashes because of it. even waking the wireless laptop once crashed the router.

The stock firmware seemed more reliable and I didn't get a crash but i really wanted to use the merlin firmware for the policy rules with the vpn. But even on the stock firmware you still get all the crazy wlceventd proc events and link up/downs and other shirt spamming the logs. on all Asus models i've used. but at least it doesn't crash at least I don't think it does. definitely not as fast as the merlin firmware on this ac86u. I definitely had it going for over 3 days on stock but the Merlin firmware doesn't last a day with barely any activity. I think its the fact I'm using policy rules on a network with alot of devices. I dunno.

I'm just concerned that the thing is gonna die, especially when you read things in the logs like "dying gasp" and all the horror stories online about this model. Maybe the merlin firmware is just bringing out the hardware issues it has? so disappointing. I should of kept the ax58u and said screw the vpn speed. it was way way more stable then this ac86u, didn't have these issues running merlin on it. wow.

Last edited:
Your crash is occuring in the switch driver, which is closed source and identical between stock and custom firmwares. If stock firmware is more stable for you, then the most likely reason would be you are running a firmware that uses newer code, and whatever fix that's present in it is not available yet on my end.

Your crash is occuring in the switch driver, which is closed source and identical between stock and custom firmwares. If stock firmware is more stable for you, then the most likely reason would be you are running a firmware that uses newer code, and whatever fix that's present in it is not available yet on my end.

hmm. its the august 14th version. what I did now is stopped qos and ai protection. and I didn't get a crash for a whole day now. What is concerning me now is:

Oct 18 17:54:37 cfg_server: dump exclchans:
Oct 18 17:54:37 cfg_server: old wl0_acs_excl_chans:0x100c,0x190a,0x100d,0x190b,0x100e,0x190c
Oct 18 17:54:37 cfg_server: old wl1_acs_excl_chans:0xd034,0xd038,0xd03c,0xd040,0xd936,0xd93e,0xd836,0xd83e,0xe03a,0xe13a,0xe23a,0xe33a,0xd064,0xd068,0xd06c,0xd070,0xd074,0xd084,0xd088,0xd08c,0xd966,0xd96e,0xd986,0xd866,0xd86e,0xd886,0xe06a,0xe16a,0xe26a,0xe36a
Oct 18 17:54:37 cfg_server: new wl0_acs_excl_chans:0x100c,0x190a,0x100d,0x190b,0x100e,0x190c
Oct 18 17:54:37 cfg_server: new wl1_acs_excl_chans:0xd034,0xd038,0xd03c,0xd040,0xd936,0xd93e,0xd836,0xd83e,0xe03a,0xe13a,0xe23a,0xe33a,0xd064,0xd068,0xd06c,0xd070,0xd074,0xd084,0xd088,0xd08c,0xd966,0xd96e,0xd986,0xd866,0xd86e,0xd886,0xe06a,0xe16a,0xe26a,0xe36a
Oct 18 17:54:37 cfg_server: wl_chanspec_changed_action: Need to restart wireless due current 5G chanspec is un-available
Oct 18 17:54:37 rc_service: cfg_server 1335:notify_rc restart_wireless
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: attaching mtd10
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: scanning is finished
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: attached mtd10 (name "misc1", size 8 MiB)
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: PEB size: 131072 bytes (128 KiB), LEB size: 126976 bytes
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: min./max. I/O unit sizes: 2048/2048, sub-page size 2048
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: VID header offset: 2048 (aligned 2048), data offset: 4096
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: good PEBs: 64, bad PEBs: 0, corrupted PEBs: 0
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: user volume: 1, internal volumes: 1, max. volumes count: 128
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: max/mean erase counter: 3/1, WL threshold: 4096, image sequence number: 1982616507
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: available PEBs: 0, total reserved PEBs: 64, PEBs reserved for bad PEB handling: 4
Oct 18 17:54:38 kernel: ubi1: background thread "ubi_bgt1d" started, PID 11281
Oct 18 17:54:39 kernel: UBIFS (ubi1:0): UBIFS: mounted UBI device 1, volume 0, name "nvram", R/O mode
Oct 18 17:54:39 kernel: UBIFS (ubi1:0): LEB size: 126976 bytes (124 KiB), min./max. I/O unit sizes: 2048 bytes/2048 bytes
Oct 18 17:54:39 kernel: UBIFS (ubi1:0): FS size: 5840896 bytes (5 MiB, 46 LEBs), journal size 1396736 bytes (1 MiB, 11 LEBs)
Oct 18 17:54:39 kernel: UBIFS (ubi1:0): reserved for root: 0 bytes (0 KiB)
Oct 18 17:54:39 kernel: UBIFS (ubi1:0): media format: w4/r0 (latest is w4/r0), UUID 70AF44BE-3B19-4ECF-B11E-616114B3F8BB, small LPT model
Oct 18 17:54:39 kernel: UBIFS (ubi1:0): un-mount UBI device 1
Oct 18 17:54:39 kernel: ubi1: detaching mtd10
Oct 18 17:54:39 kernel: ubi1: mtd10 is detached
Oct 18 17:54:43 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x1003 (3)
Oct 18 17:54:43 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0x1003 (3)
Oct 18 17:54:43 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x1003 (3)
Oct 18 17:54:43 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1003 (3) for reason APCS_INIT
Oct 18 17:54:44 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
Oct 18 17:54:44 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
Oct 18 17:54:44 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
Oct 18 17:54:44 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0xe02a (36/80) for reason APCS_INIT
Oct 18 17:54:45 cfg_server: dump exclchans:
Oct 18 17:54:45 cfg_server: old wl0_acs_excl_chans:0x100c,0x190a,0x100d,0x190b,0x100e,0x190c
Oct 18 17:54:45 cfg_server: old wl1_acs_excl_chans:0xd034,0xd038,0xd03c,0xd040,0xd064,0xd068,0xd06c,0xd070,0xd074,0xd084,0xd088,0xd08c,0xd936,0xd93e,0xd966,0xd96e,0xd986,0xd836,0xd83e,0xd866,0xd86e,0xd886,0xe03a,0xe06a,0xe13a,0xe16a,0xe23a,0xe26a,0xe33a,0xe36a,0xd0a5
Oct 18 17:54:45 cfg_server: new wl0_acs_excl_chans:0x100c,0x190a,0x100d,0x190b,0x100e,0x190c
Oct 18 17:54:45 cfg_server: new wl1_acs_excl_chans:0xd034,0xd038,0xd03c,0xd040,0xd936,0xd93e,0xd836,0xd83e,0xe03a,0xe13a,0xe23a,0xe33a,0xd064,0xd068,0xd06c,0xd070,0xd074,0xd084,0xd088,0xd08c,0xd966,0xd96e,0xd986,0xd866,0xd86e,0xd886,0xe06a,0xe16a,0xe26a,0xe36a
Oct 18 17:54:45 cfg_server: wl_chanspec_changed_action: Need to restart acsd for AVBL update
Oct 18 17:54:45 rc_service: cfg_server 1335:notify_rc restart_acsd

I see this multiple times a day. I don't recall seeing this on stock version but I could be wrong. I thought maybe it had something to do with the mesh node which I didn't use on stock. So I changed the firmware on the node to also use the merlin firmware but still seeing these messages.

Should I be concerned? The problem is it restarts the wireless. I guess I could try to manually set channels or turn off disconnecting but then that kind of defeats the purpose of using a node right? And I'm assuming that ubi1: mtd10 messages are directly related to the cfg_server message cause it always happens right after in that same order.

The ax58u kept knocking 5g clients off too, also using aimesh node, and I wonder if it was the same reason. If its not a hardware failing issue that would at least ease my mind.

Last edited:
I see this multiple times a day. I don't recall seeing this on stock version but I could be wrong. I thought maybe it had something to do with the mesh node which I didn't use on stock. So I changed the firmware on the node to also use the merlin firmware but still seeing these messages.

That message is related to AiMesh. No idea what it means, maybe something to do with mismatched firmware versions between the main and the node.

That message is related to AiMesh. No idea what it means, maybe something to do with mismatched firmware versions between the main and the node.

i installed 384.19 on the node to match the main router but the issue still happens. I wonder if its cause the au66u_b1 does not have mu-mimo. I'll turn that off and see what happens.

I could be wrong. I don't think there has been a wireless restart and haven't seen those messages after changing firmware of the node to 384.19. I will keep an eye on it.

look at this! guy has same issue as what I been suspecting. when he puts one of his devices to sleep the router reboots. its fixed when he turns off qos. at least now I know i'm not crazy lol. I wonder if this guy was also using a vpn on some devices.

and this was a year ago so I don't expect it fixed anytime soon. He was on stock firmware.

I still think asus has real hard time with some devices that go to sleep or low power modes. This is really bad, cause not only does the router crash when devices wake or sleep, not to mention all the wlceventd proc events and eth switch link up and downs that flood and make logs too noisy, but it is possible to also hard crash your device on the very rare occasion! The network card will cause a hardware crash. I imagine the traditional qos might not have the same problems. I'm assuming its the adaptive qos only but I have not tested this and don't plan on it since I'm using vpn on all my devices anyways.

BUT IMO, this makes the asus adaptive qos and possibly ai trend micro an actual security risk, more then originally thought. If any of my friends or family had an asus router I would recommend they turn these things off immediately.

Last edited:
Is this also an issue with cake-QoS as a replacement for Asus adaptive QoS?

Is this also an issue with cake-QoS as a replacement for Asus adaptive QoS?
never heard of that, i'll have to check that out.

just got this issue in logs.
Oct 19 17:21:45 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Oct 19 17:21:48 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: pgd = ffffffc011dd2000
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: [00000000] *pgd=0000000012438003, *pud=0000000012438003, *pmd=0000000012673003, *pte=0000000000000000
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: CPU: 1 PID: 2687 Comm: dcd Tainted: P O 4.1.27 #2
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: Hardware name: Broadcom-v8A (DT)
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: task: ffffffc01e0321c0 ti: ffffffc012468000 task.ti: ffffffc012468000
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: PC is at 0x29b6c
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: LR is at 0x29dec
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: pc : [<0000000000029b6c>] lr : [<0000000000029dec>] pstate: 20030010
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: sp : 00000000ffbe6330
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: x12: 00000000000a002c
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: x11: 0000000000080c14 x10: 000000000000002d
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: x9 : 0000000000000003 x8 : 000000000000002d
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: x7 : 00000000f62ffb68 x6 : 0000000000000037
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: x5 : 00000000000002ab x4 : 00000000f62ffbc8
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: x3 : 0000000000000000 x2 : 000000000000002c
Oct 19 17:52:38 kernel: x1 : 0000000000000010 x0 : 0000000000000000

already had qos and ai protection off. router didn't reboot just dcd crashed so i also shut off traffic analyzer statistics which was on. not sure those link down and up messages are related but possibly cause right as this happened, my desktop pc randomly rebooted from hardware crash for the first time ever in he over 3 years i've owned it lol.

makes me wonder if using a vpn just makes me a big target lmao.... freaky stuff.

and right after i disabled traffic analyzer got this;

Oct 20 16:18:15 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Oct 20 16:18:18 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Oct 20 16:37:00 rc_service: httpds 1250:notify_rc restart_wrs;restart_firewall
Oct 20 16:37:01 kernel: *** ERROR: [udb_shell_mod_exit:661] Udb static = 0, dynamic = 48
Oct 20 16:37:01 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Oct 20 16:58:47 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 890c91d
Oct 20 16:58:47 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.18
Oct 20 16:58:47 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 280
Oct 20 16:58:47 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Oct 20 16:58:47 kernel: The For ALL DEVICES flag of Prof 1 has been set to ENABLE
Oct 20 16:58:47 kernel: The For ALL DEVICES flag of Prof 1 has been set to ENABLE
Oct 20 16:59:03 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)

all of a sudden my memory dropped to 61% which seems more normal compared to the other asus models I've used. I have no idea what changed. disabling samba, media share, ai protection and qos didn't change my memory usage from around 73% down from 80%. so i'm kind of baffled. my last change was turning off traffic analyzer, but the memory was in the 70s before i ever turned that on and pretty sure afterwards too. Out the box this thing was using over 70% ram. its like it happened overnight the other day for no reason. but it makes me feel better. lol router has uptime over 5 days now. temp is still in the low 70s when i think that should be in the 60s too but it just might be normal.

Last edited:
Not sure if helpful:

BLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc00898ddd0

I started having this soon after installing my new AC86U and after testing AiProtection and disabling it again. It just seems related to having used AiProtection for a moment, but the error stayed when I disabled it again.

I always thought one day I'd go ahead and do a complete reset of my AC86U and hope not enabling AiProtection would keep that error away. No idea if it would work.

Not sure if helpful:

I started having this soon after installing my new AC86U and after testing AiProtection and disabling it again. It just seems related to having used AiProtection for a moment, but the error stayed when I disabled it again.

I always thought one day I'd go ahead and do a complete reset of my AC86U and hope not enabling AiProtection would keep that error away. No idea if it would work.

I've seen that error too. if it doesn't try to format the jfss partition which is what I had to do recently to fix my vpn errors. I never realized how many problems using ai protection, qos or traffic analyzer caused. I never noticed any issues with my ac66u_b1 and always kept them on. But at the very least with the ac86u alot of memory and cpu get used, at the worst the whole router crashes. I also disable samba and media share per suggestions since I don't use them which also use alot of ram.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!