What's new

Brand new newbie to VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JWoody

New Around Here
Hey all, Just got my own modem, Asus cm-16, and router, Asus 86U, will be here next weekend, instead of IP provided equipment. I am technology challenged. lol I would like to setup A VPN for privacy. 1st question--- Is a vpn needed if all devices are ethernet connected? 2nd--- Is Merlin firmware update needed to solve CRACK vulnerability for the devices on wifi? 3rd--- which of the top 3 VPN providers would you choose for streaming movies, IPvanish, Nord, or Express? That's it for now. I will get into the setup and tech questions when the router gets here. Thanks

1) Ethernet/Wi-Fi has nothing to do with VPN. All a VPN does is encrypt the traffic as it travels between your router and the VPN provider. This prevents any intermediate devices from being able to examine the contents of the packets as they make their way between those two points. A VPN doesn't have any effect on the security of devices on your LAN or on the traffic once it has arrived at the VPN provider (and beyond).

2) No. Asus have already released firmware 3.0.0.4.382.18219 which includes a fix for KRACK. But that is irrelevant anyway unless you are using the router in Media Bridge or Repeater mode. The KRACK fix has to be applied to client devices not the router.

3) No idea.

1) Ethernet/Wi-Fi has nothing to do with VPN. All a VPN does is encrypt the traffic as it travels between your router and the VPN provider. This prevents any intermediate devices from being able to examine the contents of the packets as they make their way between those two points. A VPN doesn't have any effect on the security of devices on your LAN or on the traffic once it has arrived at the VPN provider (and beyond).

2) No. Asus have already released firmware 3.0.0.4.382.18219 which includes a fix for KRACK. But that is irrelevant anyway unless you are using the router in Media Bridge or Repeater mode. The KRACK fix has to be applied to client devices not the router.

3) No idea.
Thanks for the reply. I will be asking more question later on. Hope everyone has patience with a really new newbie.

I just wanted to clarify my answer to question 1) assumes you are talking about setting up a VPN client on the Asus 86U and not on each of the client devices (phones, tablets, PC's, etc.) individually.

I just wanted to clarify my answer to question 1) assumes you are talking about setting up a VPN client on the Asus 86U and not on each of the client devices (phones, tablets, PC's, etc.) individually.
Correct. The other stuff will come after I get the router and get the vpn setup on it first.

Correct. The other stuff will come after I get the router and get the vpn setup on it first.

If by streaming video you need need to implement geo shifting be aware that some video providers can detect you are using a VPN and won't allow you to connect. Netflix is particularly good at this so before signing up for a long term subscription you need to test your VPN provider's servers and specifically ask them which servers if any Netflix doesn't block. Same for other video providers.

Also be aware as a newbie certain provider's VPN configuration are easier to setup and run than others. Astrill may not be the fastest or cheapest but you can upload the VPN configuration they provide directly into Merlin and start the VPN client without adjusting, tweaking or adding special settings. There are probably others where you can do the same, but not StrongVPN or PIA for sure. All the changes and adjustments can be handled through the GUI, but you need to find out what the settings are which involves some research on the VPN provider's web site , their wiki and this site.