What's new

Brand new RT-AX86U, slow wired ports (more accurately, slow speedtests)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

900/200 on AX86U, swapped back to AC3100 and I get 830/870. go figure.. course, my password for the AC3100 got lost in the shuffle, and I cant find a recent backup to erase/restore, so thats fun too :(
Another observation, I reset up my AX and connected via LAN I got 850/790 to Cloudflare after first booting. a few minutes later, retested, and I got 830/175. its like it take a few minutes and then the QOS kicks in or something.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 8.01.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 8.01.26 PM.png
    18 KB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.05.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.05.59 AM.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
It might make sense, but I don't know if I've noticed this before with the AC86U or AC68U. It seems that being logged into the router's GUI impacts speedtests.

slvrscoobie: Does fast.com (increase connections to 16 and minimum time to 10secs in settings) or nperf perform any better?

maybe? Fast reports over 1gbps, but 1/2 that speed on upload. I did do another factory reset (with merlin installed) and then disabled the QOS again. seems better. There is one server on Speedtest im getting good results from 800/800+

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.30.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.30.55 PM.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.05.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.05.59 AM.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 91
What server on Speedtest gave you better results? If you don't mind answering, where are you located (State)?

So, it it speedtest related issue only or actual throughput issue? If the router does Gigabit up/down the speedtest numbers are irrelevant.

If the router does Gigabit up/down the speedtest numbers are irrelevant.
How do I know I get Gigabit up/down? Verizon's speedtest reports 954/955...but can that be trusted? If I bypass the router and plug directly into my PC, Ookla's speedtest works fine again. Fast.com and nperf both give ok numbers 900/700, but all the speed test sites used to perform similarly.

How do I know I get Gigabit up/down? Verizon's speedtest reports 954/955...but can that be trusted? If I bypass the router and plug directly into my PC, Ookla's speedtest works fine again. Fast.com and nperf both give ok numbers 900/700, but all the speed test sites used to perform similarly.
same. I hooked my AX87U behind my AC3100 and tested them. AC3100 did 900/900, AX did 900/255.

Im continued to be disappointed in this router. all my devices are AX wifi 6 Mac devices, and im only getting 400mbps even on the Verizon test page on wifi. at least im getting 400/400 but sheesh - I got that with my AC3100 - thinking about returning this AX and just going back to my 3100 for another couple years.

I get 700/200-300 with a WiFii6/AX device, which is a faster download, but again the upload is slightly reduced from the what I remember with the AC86U. Still waiting on the second AX86U as delivery has been delayed.

I actually returned 3 ax86u due to kernel cpu crash within 2 to 3 days of using stock asus firmware. Speeds were the same as my ac86u and also my two ax devices were connecting at 80ghz instaed of 160ghz.

All 3 were rev 1.0 and think it's either my baduck or a bad run of serial numbers.

@DarkKnight75, Do an internet search for "RT-AX86U kernel cpu crash". I found one other user who had a similar problem that you had that they couldn't solve and they had posted in this forum and they were running Merlin with numerous add ons.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ing-and-isp-does-not-function-properly.70831/

There might be others out there that had your problem with three new out of the box routers with stock firmware but it's highly unlikely. It could have been an settings problem, client incompatibility issue, power source problem, etc.. but very likely it was not the new routers. You said you didn't want to bother calling Asus tech support. Other AX86U users did their best in the multiple threads to help you narrow the source of the problem but you didn't seem to want to go through an in depth thorough step by step debugging with your settings.

The frustration when things don't work is understandable and it's sometimes easier to go back to what works for you. It is best for you to stay with your AC86U. Hopefully your next router upgrade is a more successful one and hopefully other AX86U users are able to figure out any issues they are having like this Verizon speed issue because for most people these AX86Us are incredible performing and highly reliable routers.

Last edited:
@DarkKnight75, Do an internet search for "RT-AX86U kernel cpu crash" and I found one other user who had a similar problem that you had that they couldn't solve and they had posted in this forum and they were running Merlin with numerous add ons.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ing-and-isp-does-not-function-properly.70831/

There might be others out there that had this problem with three new out of the box routers with stock firmware but it's highly unlikely. It could have been an settings problem, incompatibility issue, power source problem, etc.. but very likely it was not the new routers. Other AX86U users did their best in the threads to help you narrow the source of the problem but you didn't seem to want to go through an in depth thorough step by step debugging with your settings.

The frustration when things don't work is understandable and it's sometimes easier to go back to what works for you. It is best to stay with your AC86U. Hopefully your next router upgrade is a more successful one.
I've been in IT industry for 20 years and believe me, a product that's not performing based on manuf specs as I experienced with those 3 units is faulty in my book. I've done my share of troubleshooting outside this forum and my setup was as stock as it gets.

As I've stated, never seen this with my gone n66u and current ac86u.

Funny thing my microcenter has 10 more in stock @ $229

Last edited:
Speeds were the same as my ac86u and also my two ax devices were connecting at 80ghz instaed of 160ghz.

For AC clients - yes, both routers are AC Wave 2
For AX clients - no, common 2-stream AC client link speed is up to 866Mbps, AX up to 1201Mbps

160MHz requires DFS channels and is not guaranteed. Look at 160MHz on 5GHz as 40MHz on 2.4GHz. It's possible, but may not work for you.

I've been in IT industry for 20 years and believe me, a product that's not performing based on manuf specs as I experienced with those 3 units is faulty in my book. I've done my share of troubleshooting outside this forum and my setup was as stock as it gets.

As I've stated, never seen this with my gone n66u and current ac86u.
There are many professionals in this forum. I worked for many years in computer business sales, phone sales and support for an ISP and in repair for computer device manufacturer. I don't claim to be an Asus wireless router expert like many in this forum are but I do have extensive experience debugging computers and networks.

I can tell you with a high level of certainty your problems were not related to the router hardware. I am not saying it isn't possible you had three new out of the box routers fail. That kind of hardware failure is something only Asus could tell you and you didn't want to try to call them. It was your choice but as long as you are satisfied with your decision that's what's important.

Last edited:
There are many professionals in this forum. I worked for many years in computer business sales online and phone sales and support for an ISP and in repair for computer device manufacturer. I don't claim to be a Asus wireless router expert like many in this forum are but I do have extensive experience debugging computers and networks.

I can tell you with a high level of certainty your problems were not related to the router hardware. I am not saying it isn't possible you had three new out of the box routers fail. That kind of hardware failure is something only Asus could tell you and you didn't want to try to call them. It was your choice but as long as you are satisfied with your decision that's what's important.
Well...we can agree to disagree all the day...yes in the end, the ac86u is performing to my expectations.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!